Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo

Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo
Perfect Hair Day Dry ShampooPerfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo

3.7

Isobutane, Propane, Alcohol Denat., Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Cellulose, Octafluoropentyl Methacrylate (OFPMA), Caprylyl Glycol, Dipropylene Glycol, Citronellyl Methylcrotonate, Hydroxypropylcellulose, Hydrated Silica, Cetrimonium Chloride, Zeolite, Ethylcellulose, Octoxynol-10, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Water/Eau/Aqua, Fragrance/Parfum, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenethyl Alcohol, Limonene, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citral, Linalool.

It does what it's supposed to, it absorbs oil and makes hair appear cleaner, but that's about it. It gives a bit of volume/texture to hair, but not more than something like Batiste or what have you would. The PhD dry shampoo isn't that well suited for darker hair either as it's very on the white and powdery side (think Klorane) and unless the powder is combed out or otherwise distributed diligently it stays *white* and looks very obvious under daylight (like in bathroom lighting hair looks fine and then outdoors powdery patches are suddenly visible) - despite LP claiming that the whiteness goes away after 30 seconds. The spray itself is pretty powerful and I never had an issue of the nozzle clogging or it it not delivering the product, though like all aerosol type dry shampoos it's important to shake the bottle well before. The smell is fresh, though a little nondescript, something lemony/floral. The smell is noticeable at first, but fades or becomes less obvious fast. I somehow got the impression that PhD struggled with stronger smells like cigarette smoke that most scented dry shampoos cover with ease (like Moroccan Oil dry shampoo, for example, even though it's scent is softer and less noticeable), but I don't feel like I use less of PhD compared to other dry shampoos. Maybe I'm a little spoiled by my favorite dry shampoo Bumble&Bumble pret-a-powder as that one works for my bit darker hair perfectly and gives great texture, volume and leaves hair shiny, clean and nice smelling, but I don't think LP PhD is that great. PhD dry shampoo is average in my experience and most DS dry shampoos match the results (Batiste, Aussie, Pantene), and many premium brands outperform PhD by a mile (Aveda, Alterna, Moroccan Oil, Bumble&Bumble). I don't think the Healthy Hair molecule (OFPMA) really does something in this product, I see OFPMA "working" on my hair when using their Restore range products, but I don't think there's enough of it in the dry shampoo to make a difference.

on 4/21/2018 9:23:00 PM

This is the only dry shampoo I have found that actually seems to clean my hair. I can't live without it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I got a sample of this recently, and yesterday I “got the chance” to put it to the test when I had to go somewhere suddenly, immediately after rubbing a bunch of olive oil into my hair as a conditioning treatment... I wasn’t necessarily in the mood to face the public looking like a drowned rat, so I sprayed loads of this onto my hair and scalp, waited a minute and then worked it in thoroughly with my fingers. It made my hair so... fabulous! It had so much volume and texture (a good thing for fine strands). You couldn’t tell whatsoever that I had practically just dunked my hair in pure oil just moments before. When I first sprayed it I was nervous, because my hair is dyed the blackest blue-black I can get ahold of and this spray definitely left a strong white cast, but once you work it into the hair well enough it completely goes away. I am really impressed, but I wish it wasn’t so expensive for the full size.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Long story short, the major reason I don't like this product is because it is too powdery and leaves a white cast on my hair, and I my hair is not even dark. I also find the smell to be overpowering and lingering. I used up a whole travel size can of this and was never completely satisfied, I had to work it in to my roots with my fingers very heavily and I hate the gritty texture against my fingers. I wanted to love it and jump on the LP hype train but I find Batiste to be better than LP because it is easier to work into my roots and cheaper.

on 12/13/2017 6:29:00 PM

I love this dry shampoo! My hair feels like its just been washed after use, fresh and nice texture! And nice, neutral smell! My go to dry shampoo🙌

on 12/10/2017 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is the only dry shampoo I have actually repurchased and I will continue to do so I especially whenever I can get a deal on it and stock up). It *is* pricy, no doubt, but even in that price range it kills the competition.

Yes, Living Proof's whole line has given me sticker shock, but since I tried some of their products there is no going back and I do feel I get my money's worth because otherwise I am constantly buying different cheaper things chasing exactly what I want and still ending up with an empty wallet and a bathroom full of products I don't love.

This dry shampoo is amazing. I would more accurately give it 4.5 lippies, only knocking of a smidge for the price.

Really refreshes even week-old unwashed hair. (I have 'fantasy/fashion color' hair so I was as infrequently as possible.)

Doesn't make hair look or feel dry or powdery (or fake shiny either) and doesn't leave a scalp residue like all other dry shampoos I have tried.

Washes out easily with non sulfate shampoo, even in cold water (which I use to prolong my color/prevent fading).

The travel size bottle actually lasted me quite a while so you get a decent bang for your buck, even with the steep price.

She smell is strong at first but dissipates quickly from hair, leaving it just smelling clean.

I just bought 2 more bottles and will continue to repurchase.

on 12/3/2017 12:33:00 AM

I have purchased this over 5 times. It is the only dry shampoo worth spending money on. It does actually clean desperate looking hair.

on 9/28/2017 1:21:00 PM

I got a sample of this with sephora play and have used it 5-6 times. Recently I had bought the "not your mother's" dry shampoo and really disliked it, so I was looking for another dry shampoo. I did use "pssstt" in the past and liked it better than NYM, but it's been so long I can't really compare it well to PHD.

PHD has an average scent to me, it's something I forget about almost as soon as I spray it on...some kind of clean smell something. I like that the dry shampoo isn't chalky, doesn't leave white residue in the hair, and it does lift my roots just a little bit. I might buy this again, but truthfully the price makes me a little unhappy, as this stuff was decent but didn't move mountains to justify $20. I think I will try batiste next.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Ugh, I hate to say it but this dry shampoo smells like old lady. I'm sorry...it does.
I'm not very sensitive to smells and can tolerate a lot, but this made me gag.
I didn't find that it's price is worth its performance. It doesn't give me as much volume as I'd like and it sprays white and powdery, which I can deal with, but to say this performs better than anything else is just silly. It's doesn't, and it reeks like White Diamonds or something.
Also, I noticed it made my hair feels very crunchy yet waxy at the same time. Over a course of a few hours my hair became increasingly gross feeling and actually worse than it felt before using by leaps and bounds. My hair felt like I had the worst product buildup of all time and like I hadn't washed my hair in a week. It felt heavy and dry and my hair looked lifeless, lanky and dull. It was not a pleasant feeling or experience.
Eva NYC and Drybar Detox are still my two favorites.

on 8/18/2017 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've received a number of Living Proof samples in Birchbox and Sephora PLAY and really liked them. When I received a generous-sized sample of this dry shampoo, I was really excited. I have tons of dry shampoos from subscription boxes, but am always happy to get more. Unfortunately, I didn't find this one that great. The scent isn't overpowering for me, but the white streaks are. I used the product as directed, but I have dark, colored hair and was paranoid all day that I didn't get all of the white powder out. Having to deal with rubbing and brushing this product out adds more time to my morning routine than I'd like. I'd rather use a dry shampoo that leaves less powder residue behind. I only go one day between washings, so other, much cheaper dry shampoos work just fine for me.