Glossier Boy Brow

Glossier Boy Brow
Boy BrowBoy Brow

3.5

Not tested on animals

Water (Aqua), Beeswax (Cera Alba), Butylene Glycol, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Stearic Acid, Isostearic Acid, PVP, Dimethicone, Tromethamine, Oleic Acid, Silica, Polybutene, Lecithin, Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Glyceryl Laurate, Sorbitan Laurate, Atelocollagen, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Propylene Glycol Laurate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium EDTA

on 7/25/2017 12:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Just OK really. I think the Benefit Gimme Brow works better--both the formula and the brush. It's also cheaper, lasts longer, is easier to find, and has a wider color range (at least, when I bought Boy Brow that was the case).

I found Boy Brow's brush a bit awkward to use. It was just a tad too short and tended to hold too much product. I sometimes had to remove the first "swipe" and re-do. I liked Boy Brow but didn't love it.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I really, really wanted to love it. Finally caved and ordered it, and I've been using it (off and on) for a little over three weeks now.

Pros: Blonde/Taupe shade matches my ashy, light brown hair, small brush gives a lot of control, covers and coats hair instead of skin, looks very natural, cute packaging

Cons: small size for price, unexpectedly clumpy, hard to control amount of product on brush itself so you end up wasting product

Dealbreaker: Caused acne. Yep. Boy brow broke me out, and I'm not happy about it. At first I thought it was a new shampoo that I started using around the same time, but the situation continued to get worse after stopping the shampoo. I keep taking breaks from it, hoping that the acne was caused by something else or was just a fluke, but I officially can't use this for more than two days at a time without zits popping up IN MY EYEBROWS (yeah) or across my forehead....kind of like I've been wearing a greasy hat around for a few days without washing my face. And glossier's "Skin first, makeup second"/clear-faced aesthetic definitely feels like they're throwing salt in my (facial) wounds at this point.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Forumla:

Love this formula. The formula has a mostly dry consistency, which I really like because I hate wet brow gels (like ABH). I especially hate brow gels that don't set, and this sets but it isn't stiff. It is most comparable to Benefit Gimme Brow, which has a very similar formula. The one difference is that Glossier product as a whole doesn't dry out in the tube quickly like Gimme Brow does, so lasts way longer. This is why I would choose Boy Brow over Gimme Brow.

Colour:

Brown is the only colour I have tried. I like the colour, it isn't my favourite. I have dark brows and want to keep the colour ashy. Glossier Boy Brow isn't a warm toned colour, but it isn't the most ashy I have found (ABH is more ashy, but a worse formula and I would rather have less ashy brows than put up with a crap formula). I live in Australia and can only get it when my sister goes to the US (which is frequently) I would get her to pick up the next darkest shade but that is black so I am thinking that could be wayyyy too dark. A Taupe or a Granite colour would be nice? So maybe thats a downfall. Not a great shade range (ABH best shade range).

Packaging:

Love it. Glossier packaging is minimal and chic. Lots of people think it feels cheap? For me that isn't an issue, it feels weighted and has a nice silver lid. Great wand as well, very similar to Gimme Brow. Grips the hair and coats all brow hairs, small enough to get nice and precise. It is the best.

Price:

A good price for a high end feeling product. As compared to other gels:

1.Gimme Brow $39 AUD for 3g = 13 dollars a gram
2. Glossier $21 AUD (converted from US) for 3.12g = 6.7 dollars a gram
3. NYX $9.95 AUD for 8.5g = 1.1 dollars a gram
4. Anastasia Beverly Hills $40 for 9g = 4.4 dollars a gram

I think Glossier is a better product than Gimme Brow, and they are marketed as a similar thing (volumizing brow gel, similar wand etc). It is also considerably cheap in AUD, and has a little bit more product.

All in all, Glossier is probably my favourite coloured brow gel. At the moment I have moved towards clear gels (NYX is my favourite) but for a bold look or an evening look I will always do a coloured gel and this is what I am choosing. Its a shame that its so hard to get is Australia.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I've had mixed results trying Glossier products. This one was a miss for me. I was looking for a product to fill in my eyebrows. I like the idea of a mascara-type brush, but I honestly don't see much of a difference after I applied it.

on 9/20/2016 6:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my HG eyebrow product. I'll never go back to Benefit or Anastasia again.

It LASTS AND LASTS. I have greasy skin and makeup never stays on my skin for more than a few hours. This stuff legitimately lasts for 16 hours. Doesn't smear, either.

It's kind of waxy, which I like, because it holds hairs in place.

Other eyebrow products have often made me break out in the eyebrows area (I have super acne-prone skin). I don't notice an increase in breakouts with this product.

Rest of Glossier's products are super underwhelming and seemingly basic, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Not much else to say here—I just love it and see no reason to continue searching for the perfect brow product. Seriously, it lasts sooooo long.

on 5/7/2016 4:20:00 AM

It's only an "Ok" product. I had wanted to try it after falling for the hype. I have dark and full brows already, but am loving a fuller-brow look lately. I purchased Boy Brow in brown. The product barely has any pigment, and I really don't find it any better than the other two brow gels that I've tried this year (Pixi and NYX). In fact, I actually prefer the NYX. The NYX brow gel has far more pigment and staying power...and it's cheaper.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Lately I've been using Hard Candy's Brow Ink in blonde and I really love it, however it does make my brows crunchy and hard. I decided to order Boy Brow when ordering the other colors of Generatiin G and when I received my order the box was empty, which was a total bummer. I contacted their customer service and they immediately sent me a replacement and an actual person sent me an email apologizing, rather than an automated email. I totally appreciate good customer service.

I ordered the Brown color because I felt blonde might be too light for me and not give me the definition or color I'm looking for. My hair is naturally strawberry blonde at the lengths with darker medium brown roots, so for brow color I can usually pull off a darker brow anyway.
The product is small. Not gonna lie. It's about the size of a mini mascara.

It applies wonderfully. The formula is really great. It's pigmented and smooth, applies evenly and is easy to control. The Brown works amazingly well on my brows and gives them more color without being too dark or intense. It makes my brows look natural yet defined and full. This is great for me because I'm in the process of growing out my brows.
The brush is small which is perfect for brows (although not as small or thin and Hard Candy's). It is basically the same size of Benefit's. It provides a lot of control over application and allows you to comb the product through the brow instead of just coating the top.
I'm really impressed with the overall look and effect, and it doesn't make my brows hard and crunchy, yet it still allows my brows to retain the shape after it dries.

My only complaint about Boy Brow is that the wear time isn't that great. About 5 hours after applying I noticed the color had diminished to about half of what it was from applying and my brows were no longer as defined as I expected them to be. This in part is because the color had mainly wore off on the top of the brow hair. I didn't notice any flaking, so I don't know where it went, lol.
This has happened every time I use it and have ended up having to bring it with me when out for the day to do a touch up. This is why I'm only giving it 4 lippies instead of 5. That and the price for the amount of product is a little high, but that seems to be the case with Glossier's products in general (except for the concealer).

I definitely recommend it though because on a whole, it's probably the best looking and feeling brow product I've used yet.

on 4/11/2016 8:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Based on the reviews, I seem to be the target for this product (naturally bushy eye brows). In spite of this, I am not a fan. Why not? Because my brow hairs are also long & this doesn't hold them in place. Granted I need a wax for some of the more... quirky hairs... but I just don't understand the hype for this product when there are other tinted brow gels that do the exactly same thing, with potentially better hold, for less money.

All in all, it's not a bad product, just an average one.

on 3/23/2016 10:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I've never been a huge "brow person," and have barely paid attention to them despite my love of eye makeup. I tweeze conservatively as needed.

Since I've had some great experiences with other Glossier products, I decided to try the Boy Brow since I feel the price is very accessible for this kind of product. I do admit to typically purchasing high-end makeup products, and the Glossier makeup is, to me, mid-range.

I bought the Blonde shade to try, even though my hair color is a medium-to-dark brown. I read that the brown might be TOO brown for my type of color. The Blonde is actually a really great match for a subtle, groomed look. Boy Brow has converted me into a brow person because it's so easy to apply and looks so natural. I've gotten compliments! My brows end up looking like I've paid them way more attention than I really have.

As I've seen with other reviews, this product isn't really meant to create those very drawn-on Instagram brows, or to majorly fill in sparse patches. It also won't give you larger brows if yours are very thin. I would absolutely recommend for those who want to groom their brows and give them more color and shape without requiring tiny little pencil flicks to mimic hairs. I love Boy Brow and will continue to use.

Update: I ordered the Brown color as well, and while it's certainly more dramatic on me than the Blonde, it still matches. I'm experimenting with a combination of both colors to see what happens, but I plan on reserving Brown for "evening" looks and Blonde for my everyday makeup.

on 12/18/2015 10:35:00 PM

I have tried several brow products on my search for a minimalist, no fuss product. This is definitely it! It's great for a bare face look, when you just want to clean your brows up a bit. The blonde color is sheer and provides just the right amount of coverage and also seems to thicken my brows.

Popular Brows Products