Glossier Boy Brow

Glossier Boy Brow
Boy BrowBoy Brow

3.6

Not tested on animals

Water (Aqua), Beeswax (Cera Alba), Butylene Glycol, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Stearic Acid, Isostearic Acid, PVP, Dimethicone, Tromethamine, Oleic Acid, Silica, Polybutene, Lecithin, Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Glyceryl Laurate, Sorbitan Laurate, Atelocollagen, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Propylene Glycol Laurate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium EDTA

on 8/31/2017 11:41:00 PM

Do yourself a favour and order this. Yes it's as good as everybody says it is. If you're into the Instagram brow it may not give you what you're looking for but as someone with fairly full brows this grooms and subtly fills them so that they look naturally awesome. I have ashy dirty blonde hair and went with the blonde. Thought it might be too warm but that's not the case at all. A nice level of darkness.

on 10/6/2016 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

Great price and perfect packaging but not a huge fan of the results. To be fair, I've never filled my eyebrows in before this product. But I think it looks a pinch too artificial and dark. I think it's silly they advertise this as shaping AND filling in at the same time. Great for filling, but you'll definitely have to go back through with your trusty eyebrow brush to blend the lines out.

on 9/24/2016 8:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Does not work well on thin sparse brows. I will stick with pencil...

on 8/25/2016 1:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have dark brown/black cool-toned brows and I use Boy Brow in Brown. I was thinking I'd need it in black, since my brows are so dark (and the rest of my coloring is high contrast -- nw15 skin and black hair) but this color is actually very dark. It looks medium brown on the spoolie but on my brows, it's straight-up black. In fact, it's maybe too dark! I'm thinking of getting the lightest color (I think there's only 3 colors) next time.

Normally I have to use the darkest of eyebrow shades but yet here I am, thinking I need the lightest for Boy Brow!

I think the reason why Brown looks so dark on me is because it really plumps up the hairs and coats them with a thin pomade texture. It winds up emphasizing the darkness of my brows (which is good but sometimes I glance in the mirror and think it's too much).

Because my brows are super thin (thanks, 1990s), I fill them in with a much lighter shade -- right now, it's the Shu hard pencil in stone gray (which pulls a light warm taupe on me) -- above and below my brows to thicken them slightly, then top it with Boy Brown to give it oomph. If I were to use my regular darker brow shades (e.g., Shu hard pencil in black or Anastasia Brow Wiz in Ebony, etc.) and topped it with Boy Brow, my brows would look way too dark.

The hold of this product is great too. Because my brows are so thin and I covet thick brows, I use every trick in the book, including brushing them up. I use Boy Brow to brush all the hairs up -- like 90 degrees, parallel to my nose. (The brow hairs on the downward slope of my brows past the arch I brush parallel to the ground toward my ears. That'd look a bit nuts if they were pointed at the ceiling!) You can check out so many cosmetic advertisements lately, like for J Crew or any makeup brand; that's how they style brows so they look feathery and extra thick. Anyway, Boy Brow keeps my hairs exactly in place, all day long, defying gravity.

Overall, an awesome brow product. A cheaper dupe (that doesn't have nearly as much hold because of course there's gotta be a trade off) is Essence's colored brow gel. But I'll still buy Boy Brow again -- but next time, in Blond!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I've been looking for a natural looking, your-brows-but-better product for a while. My brows are blonde and straight and I don't think the current style of gel/pencil/concealer brow products look particularly good on me. I picked the blond shade and am happy that it adds the right amount of color and volume to my brows to look polished and defined. The brush on the wand was better than I expected. It takes a while to set, but once it's dried your brows don't feel crunchy, but still has a decent amount of hold. Thankfully the formula also hasn't caused awkward eyebrow breakouts that the waxes in other brow products have caused for me.

The downside is I think the packaging is pretty meh looking and it's very tiny - it's slightly longer than my index finger and about as wide as my pinky. The price point is better than products like Benefit though, which is $24 for .1 oz versus Glossier's .11 oz for $16.

I have never once done anything to my eyebrows other than tweeze the occasional stray. My brows are generally pretty fluffy and crazy but luckily that's in style right now. I bought the Glossier Boy Brow in brown on a whim, while purchasing the balm dotcom (because I am a lip balm fanatic and wanted to try it). I used the Boy Brow for the first time yesterday and was totally impressed. A little goes a long way! I had to wipe some of it off so I wouldn't leave the house looking like Oscar the Grouch. But after finding the right amount to apply, it smoothed my brows down, gave it just a little extra fill, and it actually made my eyes look bigger, as well as my lashes. I will use this every day. It doesn't need to be re-applied during the day, and just make sure after application that there isn't any stray Brow gel on the sides of your face. That happened to me because I was fussing with it too much.

I really like Glossier, I'm going to keep trying their products. So far so good.

on 10/27/2015 4:06:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This brow pomade does what it sets out to do; for the most part. It intelligently fills in your brows when you need a natural, expedient solution.

As far as packaging goes, Glossier opts for a clean, minimal look; which (surprise, surprise!) does not in the least deliver practicality. Let's gloss this over. For one, the spoolie always picks up too much product, so that these icky globs eventually accumulate at the mouth of the tube (think worn mascara tubes ladies and gents!) This accounts not only for a frustratingly messy experience; but also a very wasteful one!
Which begs the question: why, Gloss-ee-ay? There is so little product to even begin with; why not employ some other method of extraction altogether?
An additional smidgen of product wouldn't hurt either! I know the listed price for the Boy Brow is $16, but factor in standard shipping + tax and your total is a whopping $22. And this for slightly more than a tenth of an ounce of product!

By extension, I feel obligated to add that this product, though waxy in consistency, failed to add any real hold to my unruly, reluctant brows.

Moving on.

My main gripe here (drumroll please!) is that the Boy Brow in the color brown contains a red tint which is slightly orange in undertone (contrary to what a fellow reviewer has posted here). This tint, though not always discernible in artificial light, is very much present in natural light/broad daylight. In other words, if you are searching for a cool, taupe-like, neutral brown for your gorgeous brown brows, the Boy Brow in brown is simply not your match. Now, despair not; if your natural eyebrow color is dark brown, you might have considerably better luck with the Boy Brow in black. As an exercise in optimism, I have decided to take another chance on this line and in doing so have ordered this same product in the color black. I'll check back in for that experience soon!

Verdict: While the Boy Brow is more natural looking, convenient and precise than most brow pencils currently on the market, it still needs enhancement. Truthfully, I was unprepared for this as Glossier's products have been positively touted all over most of the net.

**Update: I have been using Boy Brow in the color black for over a month now. Indeed, it is a true black, and as such, considerably darker than my neutral toned dark brown brows. In addition, I must regretfully report that I do occasionally experience fallout with this product. Lastly, what has absolutely determined me to switch to my old brow grooming routine: the amount of time it takes to evenly apply the mousse on both brows. It is much too easy to overdo the application and quite frankly there is just no quick fix. You have to sit and moisten a cotton pad and then very excruciatingly yet lightly wipe away the over-application.

Removing 3 lippies and leaving 1 for the great customer service; I was entirely refunded for both Brow products and was never asked to send them back. Under normal circumstances I would have rejoiced, however these poor quality products are destined for the trash.

Unless I come across some God-sent product, I will continue shading my brows with any ol' brow filler brush and Estee Lauder's eye shadow in #54/copper penny. Identical shades are available in both NYX's Eyebrow Cake Powder and Milani's Brow Fix Brow Kits. I have used both sets prior to using Estee Lauder's and solidly stand by either products. Unfortunately (or fortunately), all of these alternatives are leaps and bounds better than Glossier's Boy Brow and finally, much cheaper!

TLDR: Yes, Glossier's Boy Brow sounds good in theory, but the execution is lacking. God, is it lacking! My intuition suspects this to be the case with most, if not all of Glossier's products. But I suppose you shall be judge of that :)

on 10/24/2015 2:01:00 PM

Glossier Boy Brow is great for my brows! I did not realize that my eyebrows were thinning and that simply using a brow product could make such a difference! I am 43; I never tweezed my eyebrows. They think with age. I have bangs because they hide bushy eyebrows. Now I can trim my bangs a little shorter!!

I usually use Benefit Gimme Brow in Light/Medium. I like how it thickens my brows not just darkens them. The color isn't perfect. It dries up fast too I think because of whatever is supposed to add fibers to your brows to make them thicker.

Glossier Boy Brow in Brown is not too dark for me. Some brands have a cool and a warm and one is always reddish. Glossier's Boy Brow in Brown is not reddish. It comes with the same style of tiny spoolie brush most brow products have. The color is easy to apply and looks natural. I tend to only put on enough to darken my brows a little erring on the natural look. I follow the arch I get after I have my brows waxed. I don't brush it on in upward strokes because I don't have thick brows anymore.

It doesn't fade by the end of the day or make your eyebrows feel crunchy. At $16 I will definitely repurchase!

Popular Brows Products