Glossier Boy Brow

Glossier Boy Brow
Boy BrowBoy Brow

Not tested on animals

Water (Aqua), Beeswax (Cera Alba), Butylene Glycol, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Stearic Acid, Isostearic Acid, PVP, Dimethicone, Tromethamine, Oleic Acid, Silica, Polybutene, Lecithin, Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Glyceryl Laurate, Sorbitan Laurate, Atelocollagen, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Propylene Glycol Laurate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium EDTA

on 7/23/2017 7:13:00 AM

I got this as a gift from my friend, and it really looked so great, BUT two days after, I suffered from the worst and most unusual breakout ALL OVER MY FOREHEAD, which is normally pimple free. It stretched all the way from my brows to the edges of my hairline, and it was nothing like I've had before (painful, big, red, and everywhere). I was trying to figure out the cause of it but didn't suspect Boy Brow, though I stopped using it in the meantime. The breakout started to cool down within a week and I thought I was saved - right up until I tried Boy Brow a second time, and within a couple of days, breakout #2 started.

Might not be the best scientific experiment, but I really wouldn't want to test this hypothesis a third time :( Seems to work great for my friend though!! So if you guys are lucky, this product is GREAT (it looks natural, is very easy to use, and honestly creates volume). But for those who may have sensitive skin, save yourselves the agony!!!! (Honestly, my skin is at an all time low in my 23 years of life).

on 9/13/2016 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

i don't think its a coincidence that i've broken out around my eyebrows EVERY time i give this another try... who even breaks out around their eyebrows. very weird. (nothing else in my routine was changed).

on 10/27/2015 4:06:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This brow pomade does what it sets out to do; for the most part. It intelligently fills in your brows when you need a natural, expedient solution.

As far as packaging goes, Glossier opts for a clean, minimal look; which (surprise, surprise!) does not in the least deliver practicality. Let's gloss this over. For one, the spoolie always picks up too much product, so that these icky globs eventually accumulate at the mouth of the tube (think worn mascara tubes ladies and gents!) This accounts not only for a frustratingly messy experience; but also a very wasteful one!
Which begs the question: why, Gloss-ee-ay? There is so little product to even begin with; why not employ some other method of extraction altogether?
An additional smidgen of product wouldn't hurt either! I know the listed price for the Boy Brow is $16, but factor in standard shipping + tax and your total is a whopping $22. And this for slightly more than a tenth of an ounce of product!

By extension, I feel obligated to add that this product, though waxy in consistency, failed to add any real hold to my unruly, reluctant brows.

Moving on.

My main gripe here (drumroll please!) is that the Boy Brow in the color brown contains a red tint which is slightly orange in undertone (contrary to what a fellow reviewer has posted here). This tint, though not always discernible in artificial light, is very much present in natural light/broad daylight. In other words, if you are searching for a cool, taupe-like, neutral brown for your gorgeous brown brows, the Boy Brow in brown is simply not your match. Now, despair not; if your natural eyebrow color is dark brown, you might have considerably better luck with the Boy Brow in black. As an exercise in optimism, I have decided to take another chance on this line and in doing so have ordered this same product in the color black. I'll check back in for that experience soon!

Verdict: While the Boy Brow is more natural looking, convenient and precise than most brow pencils currently on the market, it still needs enhancement. Truthfully, I was unprepared for this as Glossier's products have been positively touted all over most of the net.

**Update: I have been using Boy Brow in the color black for over a month now. Indeed, it is a true black, and as such, considerably darker than my neutral toned dark brown brows. In addition, I must regretfully report that I do occasionally experience fallout with this product. Lastly, what has absolutely determined me to switch to my old brow grooming routine: the amount of time it takes to evenly apply the mousse on both brows. It is much too easy to overdo the application and quite frankly there is just no quick fix. You have to sit and moisten a cotton pad and then very excruciatingly yet lightly wipe away the over-application.

Removing 3 lippies and leaving 1 for the great customer service; I was entirely refunded for both Brow products and was never asked to send them back. Under normal circumstances I would have rejoiced, however these poor quality products are destined for the trash.

Unless I come across some God-sent product, I will continue shading my brows with any ol' brow filler brush and Estee Lauder's eye shadow in #54/copper penny. Identical shades are available in both NYX's Eyebrow Cake Powder and Milani's Brow Fix Brow Kits. I have used both sets prior to using Estee Lauder's and solidly stand by either products. Unfortunately (or fortunately), all of these alternatives are leaps and bounds better than Glossier's Boy Brow and finally, much cheaper!

TLDR: Yes, Glossier's Boy Brow sounds good in theory, but the execution is lacking. God, is it lacking! My intuition suspects this to be the case with most, if not all of Glossier's products. But I suppose you shall be judge of that :)

on 8/22/2017 8:02:00 PM

Got this one in the mail yesterday and I'm not impressed. I though it was a sample size because it's TINY. The white bottom part that has the product is just 2/3 the plan of my hand. This is unacceptable for 20 bucks. The product is a low pigmented mascara. Actually, it reminded me of my mom's trick: using old and almost empty mascara tubes to make brows pop. Not "glossier" at all but hey... at least I liked the stickers they sent with it.

on 8/22/2017 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Overall result was fine but I eventually figured out it was clogging my pores and giving me acne. I will go back to Benefit's Gimme Brow, which has a drier texture and is more subtle and natural. Boy Brow is wetter with stronger color, so better for a more noticeable or dramatic look but be careful if you have acne-prone skin.

on 8/4/2017 10:17:00 AM

First of all-- let's be honest, this is the size of department store sample, and not cheap. Does it work? Yeah, I guess. Not in love. It's tricky because you're brushing it into your eyebrow hairs and brushing them UP, and it's getting on the skin above your eyebrows, which you then have to careful remove with a q-tip. Live and learn. SIGH!!!!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I wanted to love this! As a brow product, it's great (though you go through it so so fast if you use it daily). However, it broke me out REALLY badly. I have normal skin that's pretty well managed and I don't ever really get problematic breakouts. With this, I got the worst pimples of my life - big, painful, red bumps that swelled up my forehead and left behind scars. It started out pretty innocent, with little whiteheads that would go away with Epiduo after a day or so. But these are like nothing I've ever seen - like painful bug bites right above and between my eyebrows. I haven't changed anything else about my routine and I even repurchased this. Shame, because it's such an awesome brow gel and I really love what it does to my look! Just not to my skin.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I really, really wanted to love it. Finally caved and ordered it, and I've been using it (off and on) for a little over three weeks now.

Pros: Blonde/Taupe shade matches my ashy, light brown hair, small brush gives a lot of control, covers and coats hair instead of skin, looks very natural, cute packaging

Cons: small size for price, unexpectedly clumpy, hard to control amount of product on brush itself so you end up wasting product

Dealbreaker: Caused acne. Yep. Boy brow broke me out, and I'm not happy about it. At first I thought it was a new shampoo that I started using around the same time, but the situation continued to get worse after stopping the shampoo. I keep taking breaks from it, hoping that the acne was caused by something else or was just a fluke, but I officially can't use this for more than two days at a time without zits popping up IN MY EYEBROWS (yeah) or across my forehead....kind of like I've been wearing a greasy hat around for a few days without washing my face. And glossier's "Skin first, makeup second"/clear-faced aesthetic definitely feels like they're throwing salt in my (facial) wounds at this point.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I've had mixed results trying Glossier products. This one was a miss for me. I was looking for a product to fill in my eyebrows. I like the idea of a mascara-type brush, but I honestly don't see much of a difference after I applied it.

on 9/24/2016 8:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Does not work well on thin sparse brows. I will stick with pencil...

Popular Brows Products