Glossier Boy Brow

Glossier Boy Brow
Boy BrowBoy Brow

Not tested on animals

Water (Aqua), Beeswax (Cera Alba), Butylene Glycol, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Stearic Acid, Isostearic Acid, PVP, Dimethicone, Tromethamine, Oleic Acid, Silica, Polybutene, Lecithin, Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Glyceryl Laurate, Sorbitan Laurate, Atelocollagen, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Propylene Glycol Laurate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium EDTA

on 10/27/2015 4:06:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This brow pomade does what it sets out to do; for the most part. It intelligently fills in your brows when you need a natural, expedient solution.

As far as packaging goes, Glossier opts for a clean, minimal look; which (surprise, surprise!) does not in the least deliver practicality. Let's gloss this over. For one, the spoolie always picks up too much product, so that these icky globs eventually accumulate at the mouth of the tube (think worn mascara tubes ladies and gents!) This accounts not only for a frustratingly messy experience; but also a very wasteful one!
Which begs the question: why, Gloss-ee-ay? There is so little product to even begin with; why not employ some other method of extraction altogether?
An additional smidgen of product wouldn't hurt either! I know the listed price for the Boy Brow is $16, but factor in standard shipping + tax and your total is a whopping $22. And this for slightly more than a tenth of an ounce of product!

By extension, I feel obligated to add that this product, though waxy in consistency, failed to add any real hold to my unruly, reluctant brows.

Moving on.

My main gripe here (drumroll please!) is that the Boy Brow in the color brown contains a red tint which is slightly orange in undertone (contrary to what a fellow reviewer has posted here). This tint, though not always discernible in artificial light, is very much present in natural light/broad daylight. In other words, if you are searching for a cool, taupe-like, neutral brown for your gorgeous brown brows, the Boy Brow in brown is simply not your match. Now, despair not; if your natural eyebrow color is dark brown, you might have considerably better luck with the Boy Brow in black. As an exercise in optimism, I have decided to take another chance on this line and in doing so have ordered this same product in the color black. I'll check back in for that experience soon!

Verdict: While the Boy Brow is more natural looking, convenient and precise than most brow pencils currently on the market, it still needs enhancement. Truthfully, I was unprepared for this as Glossier's products have been positively touted all over most of the net.

**Update: I have been using Boy Brow in the color black for over a month now. Indeed, it is a true black, and as such, considerably darker than my neutral toned dark brown brows. In addition, I must regretfully report that I do occasionally experience fallout with this product. Lastly, what has absolutely determined me to switch to my old brow grooming routine: the amount of time it takes to evenly apply the mousse on both brows. It is much too easy to overdo the application and quite frankly there is just no quick fix. You have to sit and moisten a cotton pad and then very excruciatingly yet lightly wipe away the over-application.

Removing 3 lippies and leaving 1 for the great customer service; I was entirely refunded for both Brow products and was never asked to send them back. Under normal circumstances I would have rejoiced, however these poor quality products are destined for the trash.

Unless I come across some God-sent product, I will continue shading my brows with any ol' brow filler brush and Estee Lauder's eye shadow in #54/copper penny. Identical shades are available in both NYX's Eyebrow Cake Powder and Milani's Brow Fix Brow Kits. I have used both sets prior to using Estee Lauder's and solidly stand by either products. Unfortunately (or fortunately), all of these alternatives are leaps and bounds better than Glossier's Boy Brow and finally, much cheaper!

TLDR: Yes, Glossier's Boy Brow sounds good in theory, but the execution is lacking. God, is it lacking! My intuition suspects this to be the case with most, if not all of Glossier's products. But I suppose you shall be judge of that :)

on 8/24/2017 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Glossier Glossier Glossier, can you please give me more time with this product? Can you stop selling sample sizes as full sized? I have had brow gels from the likes of Kiko, Essence, Soap and Glory, etc and they have all lasted me around a year. I then buy this very expensive and reputable brow gel (which works like a charm) and it lasts me 3 months. Does it work? yes. Is it beautiful? yes. But the only makeup item I'm emotionally prepared to finish every 3 months is a mascara. I don't want to be parted from a $20 brow gel 3 months in, before we have a chance to fully get to know each other. THIS NEEDS TO BE BIGGER.

on 2/14/2016 12:12:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I'm a C3 Asian with dark hair and eyes and bought this in Black. It's fine, the shade has NO red undertones and tints my brows ever so slightly. Hold is good and I haven't experienced any itchiness from the ingredients. The packaging, however, needs improvement. The tiny brush is great, but the opening is too wide, which means there's a lot of product left on said applicator. I'm a "swipe on and go" kinda gal when it comes to my brows and having to carefully scrape off all the excess brow wax around the opening is a pain. Even then, chances are good that I'll apply too much and have to comb through w/ a clean spoolie to remove excess. For me, it's enough of an issue that I took 2 lippies off. I'd definitely repurchase if they fixed the packaging, but for now, I'll use up my tube and then try something else. UPDATE 3/8/16: In the interest of time, I've started wiping the excess off of the wand with a tissue. The trick is not to look at the tissue afterwards so you don't see all of the product that's just been wasted...

on 8/22/2017 8:02:00 PM

Got this one in the mail yesterday and I'm not impressed. I though it was a sample size because it's TINY. The white bottom part that has the product is just 2/3 the plan of my hand. This is unacceptable for 20 bucks. The product is a low pigmented mascara. Actually, it reminded me of my mom's trick: using old and almost empty mascara tubes to make brows pop. Not "glossier" at all but hey... at least I liked the stickers they sent with it.

on 8/4/2017 10:17:00 AM

First of all-- let's be honest, this is the size of department store sample, and not cheap. Does it work? Yeah, I guess. Not in love. It's tricky because you're brushing it into your eyebrow hairs and brushing them UP, and it's getting on the skin above your eyebrows, which you then have to careful remove with a q-tip. Live and learn. SIGH!!!!

on 10/1/2016 11:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

I definitely bought into the hype on this one, and sadly, the product didn't live up to it. I sort of expected it to replace the need for pencil or powder (let's be honest, like with all their products, they made it seem like Boy Brow is all you need to groom your brows, providing color and hold), but unless you have relatively full and/or dense brows to begin with, you'll need more help than Boy Brow can give you. I still need to go in with my pencil to fill in sparse spots.

I also think the packaging is awful. The brush holds faaaaar too much product! I spend too much time scraping the excess off to only end up so underwhelmed by what it does for my brows. I don't have patience for it.

My brows are dark to begin with, so I can't speak much to the tint. The product does seem to thicken up the tails of my brows where they thin out a bit. I enjoy the texture, it doesn't feel dry or stiff, nor does it flake over time.

Overall, it's an extra step in my makeup routine with underwhelming results, so I tend to skip it altogether. Which makes me a little mad, because I paid good money for that tiny tube.

on 8/21/2016 3:22:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

Meh. This may work great if you have full brows, but if you have any sparseness or gaps, forget it. I have Brown, which is a nice, natural, moderately pigmented, slightly warm shade, and the applicator is quite good, but the product just doesn't cut it for my brows. Trying to build it up doesn't work--it gets clumpy, like mascara. I think that the problem is as much my brows being inappropriate for this type of product than the product itself. I will nor repurchase.

on 5/7/2016 4:20:00 AM

It's only an "Ok" product. I had wanted to try it after falling for the hype. I have dark and full brows already, but am loving a fuller-brow look lately. I purchased Boy Brow in brown. The product barely has any pigment, and I really don't find it any better than the other two brow gels that I've tried this year (Pixi and NYX). In fact, I actually prefer the NYX. The NYX brow gel has far more pigment and staying power...and it's cheaper.

on 8/22/2017 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Overall result was fine but I eventually figured out it was clogging my pores and giving me acne. I will go back to Benefit's Gimme Brow, which has a drier texture and is more subtle and natural. Boy Brow is wetter with stronger color, so better for a more noticeable or dramatic look but be careful if you have acne-prone skin.

on 7/23/2017 7:13:00 AM

I got this as a gift from my friend, and it really looked so great, BUT two days after, I suffered from the worst and most unusual breakout ALL OVER MY FOREHEAD, which is normally pimple free. It stretched all the way from my brows to the edges of my hairline, and it was nothing like I've had before (painful, big, red, and everywhere). I was trying to figure out the cause of it but didn't suspect Boy Brow, though I stopped using it in the meantime. The breakout started to cool down within a week and I thought I was saved - right up until I tried Boy Brow a second time, and within a couple of days, breakout #2 started.

Might not be the best scientific experiment, but I really wouldn't want to test this hypothesis a third time :( Seems to work great for my friend though!! So if you guys are lucky, this product is GREAT (it looks natural, is very easy to use, and honestly creates volume). But for those who may have sensitive skin, save yourselves the agony!!!! (Honestly, my skin is at an all time low in my 23 years of life).

Popular Brows Products