Glossier Boy Brow

Glossier Boy Brow
Boy BrowBoy Brow

Not tested on animals

Water (Aqua), Beeswax (Cera Alba), Butylene Glycol, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Stearic Acid, Isostearic Acid, PVP, Dimethicone, Tromethamine, Oleic Acid, Silica, Polybutene, Lecithin, Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Glyceryl Laurate, Sorbitan Laurate, Atelocollagen, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Propylene Glycol Laurate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium EDTA

on 10/24/2015 2:01:00 PM

Glossier Boy Brow is great for my brows! I did not realize that my eyebrows were thinning and that simply using a brow product could make such a difference! I am 43; I never tweezed my eyebrows. They think with age. I have bangs because they hide bushy eyebrows. Now I can trim my bangs a little shorter!!

I usually use Benefit Gimme Brow in Light/Medium. I like how it thickens my brows not just darkens them. The color isn't perfect. It dries up fast too I think because of whatever is supposed to add fibers to your brows to make them thicker.

Glossier Boy Brow in Brown is not too dark for me. Some brands have a cool and a warm and one is always reddish. Glossier's Boy Brow in Brown is not reddish. It comes with the same style of tiny spoolie brush most brow products have. The color is easy to apply and looks natural. I tend to only put on enough to darken my brows a little erring on the natural look. I follow the arch I get after I have my brows waxed. I don't brush it on in upward strokes because I don't have thick brows anymore.

It doesn't fade by the end of the day or make your eyebrows feel crunchy. At $16 I will definitely repurchase!

on 10/27/2015 4:06:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This brow pomade does what it sets out to do; for the most part. It intelligently fills in your brows when you need a natural, expedient solution.

As far as packaging goes, Glossier opts for a clean, minimal look; which (surprise, surprise!) does not in the least deliver practicality. Let's gloss this over. For one, the spoolie always picks up too much product, so that these icky globs eventually accumulate at the mouth of the tube (think worn mascara tubes ladies and gents!) This accounts not only for a frustratingly messy experience; but also a very wasteful one!
Which begs the question: why, Gloss-ee-ay? There is so little product to even begin with; why not employ some other method of extraction altogether?
An additional smidgen of product wouldn't hurt either! I know the listed price for the Boy Brow is $16, but factor in standard shipping + tax and your total is a whopping $22. And this for slightly more than a tenth of an ounce of product!

By extension, I feel obligated to add that this product, though waxy in consistency, failed to add any real hold to my unruly, reluctant brows.

Moving on.

My main gripe here (drumroll please!) is that the Boy Brow in the color brown contains a red tint which is slightly orange in undertone (contrary to what a fellow reviewer has posted here). This tint, though not always discernible in artificial light, is very much present in natural light/broad daylight. In other words, if you are searching for a cool, taupe-like, neutral brown for your gorgeous brown brows, the Boy Brow in brown is simply not your match. Now, despair not; if your natural eyebrow color is dark brown, you might have considerably better luck with the Boy Brow in black. As an exercise in optimism, I have decided to take another chance on this line and in doing so have ordered this same product in the color black. I'll check back in for that experience soon!

Verdict: While the Boy Brow is more natural looking, convenient and precise than most brow pencils currently on the market, it still needs enhancement. Truthfully, I was unprepared for this as Glossier's products have been positively touted all over most of the net.

**Update: I have been using Boy Brow in the color black for over a month now. Indeed, it is a true black, and as such, considerably darker than my neutral toned dark brown brows. In addition, I must regretfully report that I do occasionally experience fallout with this product. Lastly, what has absolutely determined me to switch to my old brow grooming routine: the amount of time it takes to evenly apply the mousse on both brows. It is much too easy to overdo the application and quite frankly there is just no quick fix. You have to sit and moisten a cotton pad and then very excruciatingly yet lightly wipe away the over-application.

Removing 3 lippies and leaving 1 for the great customer service; I was entirely refunded for both Brow products and was never asked to send them back. Under normal circumstances I would have rejoiced, however these poor quality products are destined for the trash.

Unless I come across some God-sent product, I will continue shading my brows with any ol' brow filler brush and Estee Lauder's eye shadow in #54/copper penny. Identical shades are available in both NYX's Eyebrow Cake Powder and Milani's Brow Fix Brow Kits. I have used both sets prior to using Estee Lauder's and solidly stand by either products. Unfortunately (or fortunately), all of these alternatives are leaps and bounds better than Glossier's Boy Brow and finally, much cheaper!

TLDR: Yes, Glossier's Boy Brow sounds good in theory, but the execution is lacking. God, is it lacking! My intuition suspects this to be the case with most, if not all of Glossier's products. But I suppose you shall be judge of that :)

on 11/19/2015 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I had high hopes for this product, but I'm not a huge fan.The biggest problem is how messy the applicator is. The product always accumulates in a thick glob on one side of the brush and gets smeared around the mouth of the tube. A tighter opening that squeegees excess product off the brush would solve this. It's hard to apply symmetrically to both brows because of how unevenly the product goes on. Like a previous reviewer mentioned, there's very little product, too, so this mess feels wasteful. The brown color is too light and unpigmented for my dark brown hair but I worry that the black color will be straight black and look wrong.

I don't love the texture either. It's a bit sticky and greasy and transfers oil to my bangs. It goes on WET and take a while to dry. It's not crunchy though, and doesn't flake or run.

I would like this better if this were a drier formula and more pigmented. It offers good hold for my long brow hairs, but the mess is not worth it. It's no easier than applying dipbrow and it doesn't look as good.

I have never once done anything to my eyebrows other than tweeze the occasional stray. My brows are generally pretty fluffy and crazy but luckily that's in style right now. I bought the Glossier Boy Brow in brown on a whim, while purchasing the balm dotcom (because I am a lip balm fanatic and wanted to try it). I used the Boy Brow for the first time yesterday and was totally impressed. A little goes a long way! I had to wipe some of it off so I wouldn't leave the house looking like Oscar the Grouch. But after finding the right amount to apply, it smoothed my brows down, gave it just a little extra fill, and it actually made my eyes look bigger, as well as my lashes. I will use this every day. It doesn't need to be re-applied during the day, and just make sure after application that there isn't any stray Brow gel on the sides of your face. That happened to me because I was fussing with it too much.

I really like Glossier, I'm going to keep trying their products. So far so good.

on 12/13/2015 10:55:00 PM

The Boy Brow is probably one of the best eyebrow products I have used. It's the perfect product for that "no makeup" makeup look since it sets your brow hairs in place while thickening them. The applicator is better compared to other brow gels (i.e. Anastasia Brow Gel). It's pretty small so it's not as messy to apply.
However, I don't really recommend this product if you naturally have thin brows. I feel like the product complements brows that are naturally thick and adds on to the fluffy/ungroomed natural eyebrow look.

on 12/18/2015 10:35:00 PM

I have tried several brow products on my search for a minimalist, no fuss product. This is definitely it! It's great for a bare face look, when you just want to clean your brows up a bit. The blonde color is sheer and provides just the right amount of coverage and also seems to thicken my brows.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

So this is my second review ever on MakeUpAlley, but this product is so fantastic that I felt compelled to post a review.

First of all- let me say that I have tried everything on the market when it comes to brow products- all different pencils, brow pens, waxes, powders, gels, dipbrow. I've even had hairstroke tattooing done. I have naturally thick brows but started waxing at a very young age, which lead to an obsession with picking at them. In any case, it's taken a lot of work to get them where they are now, but they're looking pretty good, with the exception of a few sparser areas that need filling in.

Here's where BoyBrow comes in. Holy BROW it makes my eyebrows look nice and thick and fluffy, but naturally so! The biggest problem I've had with eyebrow products is that it never looks natural- even if you do it like the pros, you can ALWAYS tell when a girl has filled in her brows with something. BUT, this isn't the case with BoyBrow. Up close or far away, it doesn't look like I've put anything in my brows, but they somehow miraculously look exactly how I've wanted them to look.

I am planning to stock up on this. HG HG HG

I absolutely love everything from Glossier, and this is no exception. My brows are in the process of growing back, but still sparse in some areas. I was apprehensive at first to try this thinking it would be lke other brow "gels" but boy brow is totally different. It's more a mousse like texture so it fluffs up my brows. I wasn't sure which shade to get so I bought both the black and the brown. The black works perfect for me . I use the brown for a more natural look. My ONLY complaint with Glossier in general is that they are REALLY slow to restock items that are sold out. I have been waiting for the black to be back in stock for a couple months now. I am literally scraping the tube to get product, and if they don't restock it soon I will be forced to use something else ): Other than that I love it!

on 2/14/2016 12:12:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I'm a C3 Asian with dark hair and eyes and bought this in Black. It's fine, the shade has NO red undertones and tints my brows ever so slightly. Hold is good and I haven't experienced any itchiness from the ingredients. The packaging, however, needs improvement. The tiny brush is great, but the opening is too wide, which means there's a lot of product left on said applicator. I'm a "swipe on and go" kinda gal when it comes to my brows and having to carefully scrape off all the excess brow wax around the opening is a pain. Even then, chances are good that I'll apply too much and have to comb through w/ a clean spoolie to remove excess. For me, it's enough of an issue that I took 2 lippies off. I'd definitely repurchase if they fixed the packaging, but for now, I'll use up my tube and then try something else. UPDATE 3/8/16: In the interest of time, I've started wiping the excess off of the wand with a tissue. The trick is not to look at the tissue afterwards so you don't see all of the product that's just been wasted...

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I was really hoping that this would live up to the hype, but for me it didn't. The packaging is super cute but unrealistic as the wand always has too much product, similar to BeneTint. (Why!!) For my eyebrow color it wasn't a great match. I got blonde but the blonde ended up being too golden for my brows, and an ash or taupe would have been better. Otherwise it is a an okay product and I might recommend it to my brunette or honey-blonde friends.

Popular Brows Products