E.L.F. e.l.f. Studio Baked Eyeshadow Palette

E.L.F. e.l.f. Studio Baked Eyeshadow Palette
e.l.f. Studio Baked Eyeshadow Palettee.l.f. Studio Baked Eyeshadow Palettee.l.f. Studio Baked Eyeshadow Palettee.l.f. Studio Baked Eyeshadow Palette

2.8

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I purchased California with some Christmas money that was burning a hole in my pocket. This is my first E.L.F. product. I'd read enough reviews of E.L.F. eyeshadows here on MUA to know that, coupled with the 'baked' qualifier, getting a noticeable eye look out of it would take some doing.

California is a selection of 10 shades that are mostly in the vanilla/golden/peachy copper/bronze/chocolate category, along with a deep silver and mauve.Some of the shades are very similar to each other, with one being slightly warmer or cooler than the other. I find them all to be best applied using a damp sponge applicator, allowed to dry, and then blended with dry brushes. Yep, there's a bit of a time commitment involved in using this palette. The finish is very shimmery, almost foiled, but not *glittery* per se. You can much more easily get the same or similar looks with any number of high end shadow brands, or even WnW, but if you want to spend around US$3 for ten shadows, and have the spare time and patience to mess with wetting and waiting, give it a try!

(Here's the subtext of shame, where I admit I bought it because the baked pearls of eyeshadow look so beautiful in their packaging. Their sexy, but flimsy, packaging. If you buy one of these, don't drop it!)

on 7/10/2017 9:55:00 PM

I bought this in California. I feel like this eyeshadow should come with instructions on the back that say MUST USE WET, because you have to use this wet or it will not show up. Of course, I did not know that upon purchasing it and was super disappointed that it wouldn't show up on my dry brush. Anyway, once I figured out *how* to use this (which really shouldn't be that difficult, come on ELF), this has become my favorite everyday eyeshadow. The colors are beautiful. They do blend well but I let the first color dry before putting on the second color, wait for the second to dry and then blend both colors with a dry brush. Works great for me. This is the first eyeshadow that my boyfriend actually complimented and he's not a makeup guy.

I am glad I only paid $4 for this. I love ELF, they make some great products--but this one is just plain bad. The shadows are stiff and hard, and no matter how much you rub them with your brush, it's just impossible to pick up a decent amount of pigment. Even with my constant layering, I could not built it up to anything worth doing. But worst of all, it just looks bad--there is something about the shine in these shadows, which is the same with every one in this palette--it just looks fake. I don't know how to explain, but if I could return this, I would--even for $4.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I had to play around with palette to like it. As I have seen many people having to scrape of the top layer with E.L.F's baked products, I had to do the same thing with this. When I first got it and swatched it, there was no pigmentation whatsoever. After scraping off the top layer, the eyeshadows were so pigmented and rich. I have this palette in the shade California and the colours are very pretty. I would definitely buy this palette and other baked products from E.L.F again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

You must use these palettes wet, not dry! And apply with your finger tip for best results. Those are the keys to using these and getting good results. I bought the California Baked Eyeshadow Palette on a whim, and after trying to pick up pigment with a brush I got no results. But used wet, the colors are absolutely beautiful and I love them on the skin. I have found that sticking to one color and perhaps a second to highlight under the brow is the best, as they don't really blend well. They really do apply better with the fingers than with a brush. Let them dry a bit and burnish them into the skin. They are lovely that way. I went back and bought a second California and two Texas palettes (I'm giving the extras to my daughter) and had to hunt them down at two different drugstores. By that time the Texas Palette was on sale, for $4.99 at one store and $2.49 at the other. I was like ... What!? They are inexpensive enough already! But, okay, I love a sale! I am a mature makeup loving woman (late 50's) and you would think that the shimmer and glittery effect would not work on mature skin, but somehow it does. I think because the colors are so gorgeous and you can do a light wash that is really, really flattering. Love!!

on 11/19/2016 1:20:00 AM

Price was good, but I really had to work to get enough onto my brush in order to apply. Not what I hoped, as I have other Elf products I really like I'll never buy this one again! On the up side, as with other Elf shadows, I'm not allergic to this one.

on 11/13/2016 5:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

I got this palette in the color "Seattle," grays/silver/purples/lilacs. Sigh... I really really wanted to love this; I live in Seattle and purple is my favorite color (and gray my fave contour shade).

But it's just "meh." I will probably end up giving this away; I have so many superior eyeshadows, it doesn't make sense to hang onto it in some sentimental hope that it will transform into the palette of my dreams.

Breaking it down: all of the colors are shimmery, most very shimmery. Most apply rather sheer, though you can use wet to help with that. Tip: don't blend till it dries.

If you prefer a look where all the colors meld together and are very coordinated, you may like this. But if you want your colors to stand out even after blending, this is a miss.

The charcoal shade is less shimmery than the rest and thus works well as a crease color, though I don't consider it opaque enough to use as a powder liner, even wet. I tried to use a darker purple as a lower lashline liner, just isn't dense enough.

If you want to use this for accent or highlight colors with other shadows, that might work well. It's not a bad palette; in fact, I got complimented while wearing it (I was using shadows only from this palette to give it a fair try).

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Too sheer, too much sparkle/glitter, not enough color payout, and too much fallout. Stiff and very chalky to apply. Five of the shades are too similar--why have all of them if they're nearly the same? Overall, a very disappointing product from e.l.f.

on 10/3/2016 9:30:00 PM

I have this in the shade collection "California". The colors are neutrals and look really pretty in the pan. The palette is sleek, the price was good. However there is almost no pigment once applied to the lid....and these are EXTREMELY sparkly. I love shimmery eyeshadow, in fact, but the amount of, dare I say, Glitter, was borderline embarrassing. These brighten up the eyes a bit but not much else. Better for a teenager? I have not tried these wet...perhaps better pigmentation that way. When swatched on the fingertips you can see the colours, but when applied to the lid with a brush...nothing but sparkles. If that's not your thing-pass

on 9/30/2016 1:12:00 PM

Ugh! I really wanted to love this palette! From the minute I opened it up I thought it was so pretty! Then I tried to swatch it and literally no color. I ended up scraping them out and making the palette more like loose pigments. The problem with that is you now have a mess if you try to carry this palette in your makeup bag. Save your $10 and pass on this!