NYX Professional Makeup Butter Gloss in Angel Food Cake

NYX Professional Makeup Butter Gloss in Angel Food Cake
Butter Gloss in Angel Food Cake

4.5

Another good butter lipgloss. The color is a medium pink but seems to have a purple tintish undertone. Because of that it's not a gloss I can put on every day. But still pretty. As with all the butter glosses they don't stay put very long and need to be reapplied often.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I’ve had 5 shades of the original butter gloss: this, Tiramisu (my absolute fave), Red Velvet, Devil’s Food Cake, and Blackberry Pie. AFC is described as a mauve, but it pulls more pink on me. I was a little disappointed because I’m not a huge fan of straight-up pink lip products, but mauves are a staple in my collection. I’ve noticed that NYX’s shade descriptions aren’t exactly on point. What is on point, however, is the quality of this gloss. I’ve reviewed Butter Glosses in general, so I’ve already expressed my undying love for these little cosmetic treasures, but I feel like I need to do AFC some justice. Even though it’s so obviously pink on me with not a hint of mauve to be found, this is a very flattering colour on my NC10-NC15 skin tone. Not over-the-top pink, but enough to add some life to my face when my chronic illness flares up and I don’t have the energy to do a full face of makeup. It’s ridiculous how much livelier I look when I swipe a couple coats of this onto my lips. I wouldn’t say this is an MLBB shade for me, but it’s very natural looking without being unnoticeable. Butter glosses tend to last an hour or so on me, which isn’t a big deal as I love reapplying them and they’re easy to apply without a mirror. If you have a light and cool skin tone, this will be a nice pop of natural colour to your face. If AFC doesn’t work for you, NYX has about 30 something other shades of this stellar little gloss, so you’re covered. -Ny

on 1/28/2018 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This product was fine. I usually like more of a sheer MLB(way)B cranberry red but noticed that a sort of browned pink looks the most natural and flattering on me after trying Maybelline Lover. I will also say that SO commented several times that this is his favorite lip shade on me. That said, it isn't for me because it doesn't last long enough.

With very occasional wear, I went through a tube in 3 months. It wears off very easily, and I understand that it markets itself as a "butter gloss," so I'm not necessarily taking points off for this, but for my personal preferences this was too glossy. I also don't enjoy the super sweet frosting scent, though I'm not usually opposed to scents.

I would recommend this to those who want a sheer, MLBB, glossy, moisturizing product and are fine with frequent re-application and transfer as well as a very sweet frosting scent. I am NC20 and can see how this is flattering on my skintone, even if it's not necessarily my makeup "style." I'd say that this probably wouldn't show up on pigmented lips.

on 12/12/2017 7:29:00 PM

This is a nice pink gloss. I was expecting it to be a little darker because the tube is darker than the other 2 pinks I purchased in this line (Vanilla Cream Pie and Eclair). I think this looks similar to Vanilla Cream Pie. I would probably pick one or the other if I was going to repurchase. I've uploaded a picture so you can see the color.

on 11/9/2017 10:45:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

People love this stuff, did I get a dud? Mine was dry and the applicator seemed to deposit no product unless I really dug in the tube.

Not a fan.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This is one of my favourite lip products ever. The colour is gorgeous and this smells amazing!! This gloss isn't sticky at all and stays on for ages. I would 100% recommend it!!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I am NW10 and this is a glossy MLBB shade on me. It is a pinky mauve colour with a nice amount of colour and shine. One layer gives a sheer gloss to the lips, and two layers deepens the colour. Because it is a gloss it isn't the longest-lasting, but it does stay on for a decent amount of time, and it is very cheap so for me it doesn't matter that I go through a tube quickly. The formula is glossy so you can feel it on the lips, but it is not too sticky. It smells very sweet but not obnoxiously so, and it dies down once it's on the lips.

My only dislike is the packaging. The cap is quite flimsy so my first tube's cap cracked when I tried to close it tightly. Also the lip is quite wide so excess product that collects on the sides of the wand doesn't get wiped off - and a lot of product collects on the sides of the wand when it is tossed in a handbag.

on 1/22/2017 3:07:00 PM

This is a perfect match to NARS Dolce Vita. It's not so thick that you need a mirror to apply it, but it's not so sheer that it has to be worn on top of something to get color. It smells like angel food cake, goes on smooth, and isn't sticky at all.

on 1/1/2017 5:05:00 PM

I must admit, I was a little afraid to try this shade. I watched a ton of reviews and videos on You Tube before venturing out to my local store. There are not many pinks or purples that I can wear, however if it's a berry, rose or mauve color those usually work. A You Tube reviewer described this as a dusty rose, I would say that's accurate. It's definitely pink but not too bright or Barbie like.

I also have Tiramisu and think the two shades are pretty similar, Tiramisu being a little lighter and more of a pinky beige color. I like both shades quite well.

I think this is one of the more popular butter gloss shades, it's a favorite of mine and probably the only pinky shade I will own aside from Tiramisu. There are many nice pinks shades available in the butter glosses but most of them are too pink or too bright for me. Angel Food Cake is just perfect for me. Glad I picked this one up. 5 stars!

on 12/18/2016 4:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I'm normally a lipstick gal, but I own a few shades of NYX Butter Gloss and I absolutely love them. The formula is moisturizing without being sticky and gives a gorgeous shine (it makes my lips look so much fuller that I was once asked if I'd used a plumping gloss!).

I have fair, neutral olive skin (foundation matches include MUFE Ultra HD in 117/Y225 and Revlon ColorStay Normal/Dry in Buff) and this beautiful shade is the perfect MLBB.