Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Foundation

Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Foundation
Rainforest of the Sea FoundationRainforest of the Sea Foundation

3.2

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (6.23), Zinc Oxide (3.84)Inactive ingredients: Water, glycerin, isododecane, cyclopentasiloxane, phenyl trimethicone, nylon-12, dipropylene glycol, caprylic/capric triglyceride, cyclohexasiloxane, SD Alcohol 40-B, aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, butylene glycol, cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 dimethicone, magnesium sulfate, alumina, PEG-9 polydimethylsiloxyethyl dimethicone, silica, talc, iron oxides, sorbitan isostearate, stearalkonium hectorite, polyglyceryl-4 isostearate, hexyl laurate, aluminum hydroxide, stearic acid, caprylyl glycol, propylene carbonate, dimethicone, hydrogen dimethicone, phenoxyethanol, triethoxycaprylylsilane, tocopheryl acetate, 1,2-hexanediol, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, algae extract, gardenia tahitensis flower extract, tocopherol

on 6/21/2017 9:26:00 PM

I bought this foundation because it can look very natural on the skin since I hate cakey/ heavy coverage makeup, but it doesn't blend well and really dries up my normal to oily skin. I do not recommend it.

on 6/20/2017 3:58:00 PM

Pretty good shade match, and I personally love watery consistency in my foundation,
but it sits SO weird on my skin, especially the nose.
No matter what primer/brush/blender I use, it won't settle properly and looks like I have foundation on.
Not a completely bad product, buy I won't be buying it again for sure.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I had high expectations for this foundation, but was so disappointed.
I found as a light coverage this was nice and sat well on my face, but as soon as I tried to build it up for a fuller coverage it was so cakey and settled into my dry spots.
Don't even get me started on the 'dropper' what a mess!
I will stick to my holy grail - Nars sheer glow.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I found this foundation to be far too dry and patchy for my normal to dry mature skin. I had really high hopes for this product since I find that thinner formulations play better with fine lines and wrinkles, but Tarte stayed true to their tendency for catering to oilier skin types with this one. During application, I felt it dried down a little too quickly which caused the application to look patchy and it will definitely cling to any and all dry patches no matter what your skin type. I found the shade line-up to be good, but the dispenser was a nightmare. The dropper was extremely messy, getting product all over the bottle, especially around the threads, creating buildup in the lid. The push button mechanism did not work reliably for me and just added to the overall frustration, def not my favorite. Just to negate any assumptions about this type of foundation not playing well with my skin type, MAC's Studio Waterweight is one of my most loved foundations. I really had high hopes for this foundation too, but it was a total fail for me. Not to mention at nearly $40, I definitely expected better.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

This is the foundation I'm wearing in my profile picture as of 31May2017

I have oily skin with large pores, lots of texture, red areas and scarring from acne and dry patches--oh, and it's sensitive, too. I have tried many positively-hyped foundations: ELDW, MAC Studio Fix Liquid, and WnW Photo Finish, among others. This is the first foundation I have used and had people comment positively on my skin tone.

Another reviewer mentioned that you need to have well-moisturized skin to use this foundation and I would agree with that statement. I use rosehip seed oil and Mario B Buttermilk moisturizer, along with Neutrogena Ultra Sheer liquid SPF 70 sunblock. For primers I use Skindinavia Oil Control primer spray and UD Optical Illusion primer patted into my forehead, temples, and T-zone and smoothed over my cheeks and jawline. With those preparations, this product is a fantastic lightweight medium-coverage foundation for me.

I apply this using a dampened blending sponge--usually the RT orange one, but I've used others with the same result. Beauty Blenders tend to sheer it out a bit more. It is a very thin foundation and the sponge does soak up considerably more of it compared to heavier formulas. However, I've found that I can squeeze the sponge to release some of what's been absorbed and apply it. I find the dropper somewhat awkward to use; I have to use about 1 1/4 droppers of foundation to cover my face to my satisfaction and dispense it onto a small metal palette instead of the back of my hand. While I understand that the dropper helps prevent even minimal product drying out/waste, I would prefer a pump. The foundation layers quite well to a medium-full coverage, while still preserving the appearance of 'skin'--no masks here. I usually set it with Laura Mercier translucent setting powder and Skindinavia Oil Control setting spray.

It stays in place quite well as long as I don't touch my face. I have a tendency to rub my chin--I'm getting older and I'm developing some coarser hair in that area, which bugs me--and it rubs off easily. I've found that when I keep my hands off my face it looks great for up to eight hours, with blotting off of oil and occasional spritzes of MAC Fix Plus or some other refreshing spray. This is not a foundation that is maintenance-free. Others have complained that it made their facial skin itch; I have not encountered that issue with this foundation but I have with some of the other mentioned at the beginning of this review. I do get the occasional tickle. This foundation sinks into the deep smile grooves around my mouth, but then all foundations I've used up to this point have done so and this is not a deal breaker for me.

I gave this product a rating of four for three reasons: price (it's high--almost $50), packaging (the dropper is a bit of a hassle), and maintenance (it requires some to upkeep). However, none of these is enough to make me unwilling to replace it should I run out:

As I mentioned before, this foundation is the one I'm wearing when people comment favorably on my skin. The very first time I wore it, two ladies in my class asked me what I was doing to make my skin look so good. The second time, a teacher commented on how bright my skin appeared. Wearing this foundation I've received comments on how "bright", "even", even "flawless" I look--and after 39 years of having ruddy, blotchy, textured skin it's kind of an incredible feeling. I'm reaching for this product over every other liquid foundation I own--I'm even considering purging the rest and just keeping this one.

I hate the dropper on this foundation; it is really messy. It did not provide a nice finish to the skin such as I have had from other foundations. It made me break out also! Not impressed with this foundation.

on 5/20/2017 10:16:00 AM

WORST FOUNDATION I HAVE EVER USED. I had been wanting this foundation for awhile and finally spent the high cost to purchase it. It completely disappointed me. Not only did it break me out and clog every single pore on my face in a matter of a few days, but it also makes your face look so caky and completely wiped off the problem areas of my face in like 3 hours. The worst part of this foundation is that while it is on its makes this your face ITCH. I couldn't even wear it for a full day at school because i was constantly scratching at my skin, I had to wash it off. I am so upset with this purchase and I would NOT reccomend buying it! I wish I could get a refund and a trip to the dermatologist to fix the lasting bad effects that this foundation had on my skin.

was extremely disappointed with this product.
it is cakey and clings to dry areas.
would not recommend!

I really like this foundation. I have combo skin (dryish on the cheeks, oily t-zone) and I find that it works well for me. There is a good color range and I like the dropper bottle. As for the foundation itself, I find that it works best on very moisturized skin. I take a lot of time with skin prep and use moisturizer, serum, essence and primer. As a result, the foundation looks radiant with medium coverage that is buildable. For a more matte finish, you can use a finishing powder. I only notice product separation after about 8+ hours around my chin (which gets really oily) so it's to be expected. I'm on my second bottle and will probably continue to buy this foundation.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

As someone with dry, dehydrated skin, this foundation was a big fail. After reading so much about it and hearing that it was great for dry skin, I was really disappointed by the results. My guess is that this foundation would be best for someone with normal to dry, but not dehydrated, skin. If you're prone to flakes and having foundation accumulate on dry patches, I would recommend getting a sample before purchasing.

Color: This foundation has a decent color range. The shade Porcelain is definitely yellow in tone and quite pale. If you're very pale and struggle to find a foundation that isn't too pink, this might be a good option for you. I didn't notice any oxidation with the lightest shade. But the fair-neutral started to turn a bit orange on me as the day wore on.

Coverage: This is a medium coverage foundation. While it can possibly be built up to full coverage, doing so risks looking cakey. I find that almost immediately it starts to cling to dry patches. It even looks dry on my forehead, which is not dehydrated.

Finish: This has a satin-matte finish. Definitely not dewy.

Packaging: The bottle looks really nice, but the dropper is awkward to use. I definitely would have preferred a pump, but its better than nothing at all.

Consistency/Fragrance: This foundation is super runny. I don't notice any perceptible fragrance.

Application: I haven't quite figured out the best way to apply this. I've tried with a damp beauty blender, a dry beauty blender, a buffing brush, an oval brush...and nothing really seems to look that great.

Price: $39 and available at Sephora and tarte's website.