Urban Decay 1993 Vice Lipstick (comfort matte)

No Image

4.3

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 4/9/2018 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I tried this because the color was so hyped, but I have to say while the formula is ok, the color just looks dull on me. I have light-medium skin with warm yellow undertones and this just looks meh. I loved this formula when I first started getting into makeup, but now that I’ve tried pretty much every other lipstick on the market, this is just average

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Ooooh I just love this lipstick. It's a bullet matte and plays well with gloss or chapstick on top. I love how it's comfortable and doesn't emphasize the texture of your lips, like a lot of other mattes do. It sheers out and builds nicely, depending on what type of look you want, and lasts for a few hours at a time! The price is definitive right for these - I got mine on sale at Ulta and it was $11. Woo!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I just got this one sale for $9! Where has this been??? I love it! I have dark hair and green eyes and this pulls a little red on me I love it! Love it for a more toned down look which for me is every day since I am older and wear minimal makeup due to my sensitive skin... will definitely repurchase!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

As a very pale redhead, it can be hard to find a lipstick that looks natural. I imagine anyone on the extreme side of the skin tone spectrums can relate. I'm very picky with formulas too. If it smears, wears off, makes my lips dry, accumulates in creases, etc... I'd rater just skip it (goodbye 90% of lip products). All of that being said, I love the Vice Lipstick line from UD and 1993 in particular. It's perfect. I like that the shade is build-able. It's natural looking with a little and stands out in a good way with an even layer. Both are very flattering! I've NEVER used a better formula. I have no complaints. This stuff is expensive but it's worth every penny.

1. Urban Decay's Comfort Matte is indeed comfortable to wear. Bravo for this formulation. It lasts long and doesn't drag when you apply it or shrivel your lips into painted raisins.
2. I was wondering why Urban Decay called this 1993 until I put this on and realized I'd been transported onto the set of a 1990s music video. It's actually a wonderfully successful shade and looks good with a lot of skin tones, and it's very reminiscent of the iconic MAC Spice lip liner that made those 90s pouts that particular shade of brown.

#winning !! I have had this in my stash for awhile, thought I'd do a review. $20 to me is about as high as I go for lipstick then buying a matching liner for it also makes it a tremendous investment when your income is limited, so I only buy "safe" colors like 1993 is a brown chocolate matte just like my beloved DC wnw Mocha Bean. It is perf I love brown lipstick not too brown to look goth or anything a little Griege thrown in for added effect. I pair this w the UD Naked (original) e/s palette mostly. I've got about 20 UD lipsticks I love them but I'm a little overwhelmed by the color selection when there is 100 (I kno MAC has double that) if I was to buy another....it feels luxurious & I got like 10 of them when they were $11 from Ulta I think the 1s I got were D.C. This is 1 of my fave lipsticks I don't know why I don't wear it more. But I plan to! I just end up wearing MAC all the time. I love UD & they are cruelty free. I would replace if I parted ways with it but I won't be buying any new colors.

on 10/3/2016 10:51:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I saw the previous reviewers take & couldn't agree more. The color is great on (looks too brown to me in the tube), but the wear time is short and frequent applications are a must regardless of using lip liner. My review stands no matter what the color & finish. Vice is slightly longer lasting than Lipstick Queen (see review) & Dior, but without the benefit of magically iridescent blue shifts in any of the offerings. You can't beat $17 for a prestige lipstick of UD's caliber, so it's an easy impulse buy; don't be forgiving on lasting power or you'll part with your money on a whim thanks to the massive color options.

UD's Ozone chubby ultimate primer pencil helps a bit but you have to reapply that routinely too, and UD hasn't even made it a twist up. Carrying a sharpener around just isn't realistic & the onus of correcting this on UD. Lip liners did not make a remarkable difference with the same unacceptable erosion at the center of the mouth.

In the past year, I've bought roughly 12 UD lipsticks & 3 liners (including pre-Vice label), and I've returned two & given away/daughter swiped two. Still have the ozone, sheer plaid (a nice but passable red when Lipstick Queen options & Revlon Colorstay's Stay Currant are in my case), sheer rapture, sheer obsession (way too walmart baby pink for my tastes), lovelight (like Nars orgasm but paler; nice over certain darker colors), amulet (a pinky bronze metallic), matte bad blood (same as all Kat Von D's warm red claims to fame; name is a good description of the color plus a dash of Hollywood glamour) & a bright purple berry matte whose name I can't recall, which I can wear at limited times due to it's Nyx-like color (not a Nyx lips fan). I use the chubby ozone 1-3x/week depending on if it's near a sharpener at the time since the tip wears down ludicrously fast. I like Sheer Rapture the best--a great neutral pinky brown--but like a true lipstick connoisseur, I'd rather spend big on a conversation piece container if I'm gonna have to whip it out & reapply in front of others throughout the day.

Bottom line: be wary of making an impulse buy since the $17 price tag makes it seem like another good reason to grab it. Walk around the store, look at a few other things, sip a coffee & check out the wear down before opening your wallet for it. or it.

on 10/3/2016 6:45:00 PM

I love the colour. I took me a long time to find precisely this shade. It looks just like a colour I wore in 1993 back when Oil of Olay made lipstick.

I don't love the formula, however. It feels quite dry, and wears unevenly -- gathering in the lines on my lips. I need to wash it all off before reapplying or else it looks worse. I had been wearing matte Colour Pop Lippie Stix before I bought this, and got used to having a light-feeling matte that lasted through drinking coffee and water, and even eating lunch. Vice looks uneven after my 2nd cup of coffee, and it was 3.5x the price of the Colour Pop.

on 9/27/2016 3:48:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Formula of this lipstick is very good. I am not a matte fan and this matte feels more like a cream going on. it actually takes a bit of time to dry down all the way matte. Color is a medium brown , maybe a bit of red in it. it looks darker on my light skin than I expected it to. definitely more of on trend girl's lipstick color. the formula nice but i would not repurchase just because I don't love the color on me. it's ok and I will wear it for fall at times. Similar to wet 'n wild mocha-licious color.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

You WILL get compliments on this lipstick! Not that that has ever been a large factor in my makeup purchases, although I took the plunge and bought this after borrowing it from a friend. It is definitely a "girls" lipstick. Every time I've gone out with this on, someone tells me that they love it and asks what it is. The girlfriend who lent it to me was asked when we went out with it on originally. The formula is okay, it doesn't cling well to the inner lips but can be worked with. I have very fair skin and the brown colour doesn't wash me out or look too harsh. I wouldn't say that it is long lasting, definitely has to be reapplied after eating, but holds up well for every day. I haven't had problems with it feathering, and it is definitely unique to anything else I have in my collection of lipstick.