Avon Leather

Price: $

Price: $

on 9/28/2015 12:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Note: this is NOT Avon black leather or black suede, but a vintage that predates both from 1966.

Leather is a new love of mine. I happened to be on badgerandblade or a men's basenotes thread trying to find out if Knize Ten reformulations were worth a purchase, when I came across a statement, something to the effect of Avon leather is straight unadorned leather, AND more importantly, the assertion that the Avon leather cologne seems impervious to aging. This is important as I have had unfortunate experiences with skunky Avon. (I don't blame Avon, I blame the kitschy bottles that encouraged people to display Avon fragrances in light and heat for decades). If your Avon bottle is musty and skunky, even if the color of the liquid is light, throw it out and try again. When I went on eBay, there happened to be two bottles for a fabulously low price plus free shipping, purporting to from the 1960s. The box reads Avon fox hunt, 2 Avon Leather colognes, 4 oz each. The plain bottles read Avon Leather all purpose cologne, New York, NY, no zip code. The color of the liquid is relatively dark, but my vintage tabac blond is dark too - and I cannot imagine a more delicious scent. (Again, I am not a leather person, but vintage TB transcends).

Since leather is not my primary accord of choice, this, some commandel, some Cuir de Russie parfum, and CdR EdT, my vintage bottle of original tabac blonde by Caron extrait, and assorted various other scents that have leathery aspects, no I don't need any more leather bottles. However, if these broke, I would want to replace.

To my mind, Knize ten (I have a decant from either surrender to chance or APC) is pretty stellar, but KT is more redolent of cognac and sweetness ( KT is not as sweet as today's niche bourbons however). And, I am not sure about the availability of KT in the US, nor or the differences between KT and KT gold etc. .

Avon leather is straight masculine leather (in today's niche terms, it would be unisex) in comparison to Knize Ten and the others, but the dry down has a bit of sweetness. There is very little raunchy or animalic facet. In comparison to Miss Balmain, Ms. Dior, and a host of subsequent leathery chypre said like EL Azuree and Aliage, Avon Leather is civilized and mild mannered, and MUCH easier for a woman to wear. If leather strikes you as very Marlboro man, this man wears a shearling designed by John Varvatos.

It does open with a hint of mustiness ( which I don't attribute to the original scent) but to the aging of indoles (these particular bottles do purport to be older than I am). The mustiness quickly dissipates (ten minutes). It's NOT the dreaded mature chypre mustiness either. And it's no where near the skunkiness of some Avon fragrances that have turned.

I debated whether to award this four or five lippies. Original vintage Tabac Blond extrait, (not any of the newer TBs) IMO, still does blow this out of the water. TB vintage is richer, smoother, more powerful, just more. But, for Avon Leathers cheap price and availability - I do think it deserves 5 stars.

Note: I have not tried vintage Tabarome by creed, but I cannot imagine that it's much better than Knize ten or Avon leather or original TB. I am not a fan (rather my skin chemistry is not a fan) of piguets bandit which is a greener leather chypre.

I have described the bottle under Avon Fox Hunt.

Popular Fragrances