I have combination skin that is also sensitive. I was leery of trying a bar because in the past I have had problems with bar soap. However, Drunk Elephant makes a point of differentiating between soap and Pekee Bar: "Unlike soap which has a pH level of 9 or above, Pekee has an ideal pH level of 6.51, ensuring sufficient cleansing without drying or stripping the skin of its protective barrier." Sometimes I like the old-fashioned simplicity of a bar that lathers up and rinses clean.
I have found Pekee Bar to be very effective and gentle, compared to soaps I've used in the past. However, I do alternate with various liquid and gel cleansers from other brands during the week. My skin can start to feel dry if I use this morning and night every day, unless I follow with a moisturizer. I keep the bar in a soap dish with a drain so it lasts longer.
1) My skin feels very clean and fresh after I use this.
2) Pekee Bar is also gentle enough to use several times a week. Oily skin might be able to use it more frequently than I do.
3) Removes most of my makeup (except waterproof mascara and eyeliner).
4) Available in a generous 4 oz. size, yet also comes in a smaller size, a travel duo with Juju Bar, an exfoliating bar.
5) I haven't had any breakouts or irritation from using this. I've had trouble with other cleansing bars in the past.
6) Fragrance free
7) Cruelty free
1) If I'm wearing waterproof mascara, I still have to use a makeup remover in addition to this, such as Cinema Secrets Break It Down.
2) If you have dry skin, this might be too drying to use as a daily cleanser.
3) The box it comes in is cardboard, so you can't put the bar in it until it dries. Not a big deal unless you're traveling. However, I wish the small size came in a nice travel-friendly dish with a drain and a lid.
4) Kind of expensive: $28 for a 4 oz. bar. I recommend getting the travel duo to start. Try it out for a while and see how your skin responds to it. The travel duo contains a 1 oz. mini of each bar, Pekee and Juju.
I enjoy using Pekee Bar and would definitely buy it again.
INGREDIENTS according to Drunk Elephant's web site:
- blueberry extract: potent antioxidant with soothing and anti-glycation properties.
- virgin marula oil: super-absorbable oil rich in antioxidants and omegas 6 and 9, nourishes rejuvenates the skin for a youthful glow.
- honey: has antioxidant properties, helps to soothe and nourish skin.
Ingredients: Sodium Coco-Sulfate, Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Starch, Cetearyl Alcohol, Paraffin, Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil, Water/Aqua/Eau, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Honey/Mel/Miel, Glycerin, Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) Fruit Extract