Becca Backlight Priming Filter

Becca Backlight Priming Filter

3.9

This is one of my favorite primers, it feels nice and moisturizing, smells nice, and works well, what more could you ask for?

I love it when my skin looks really pretty and glow-y, and this primer really does that for me. Makeup layered on top of this always looks really beautiful and luminous. I've only had it for five months and I'm dangerously close to needing to repurchase. This brings me to a con, it's expensive (almost everything from BECCA is), especially in New Zealand dollars. With the rate I've gone through it from using it most days, it feels like too much money. Also, though the packaging is so luxurious and pretty, I've found that my primer has separated a lot and so the product no longer looks as sleek. These are minor gripes, however. This is my favourite primer I own.

on 12/26/2017 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I've tried all of Becca's primers, and I just can't get on the Backlight train. I think the golden tones disappear against my golden tan skin. It also surprisingly seems to make my skin duller (!) compared to not wearing it. At least it didn't break me out.

on 12/20/2017 11:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I like this primer. It's nice and moist, so it works well with my dry skin, and it's pretty versatile. A small amount on bare skin gives you a nice, healthy glow. I don't even fully depress the pump -- I use about half of a pump. Too much shine is too much shine, so I go easy. It works great under foundation, and sometimes I use it on top as a highlighter, or I mix it with foundation or concealer. It has a light, clean fragrance, which disappears quickly. The pump bottle is nice and I think it will last a very long time.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I had heard this was a dupe for Burberry Fresh Glow primer and $10 cheaper. I'm so glad I got a sample first. OMG...the perfume in this thing! It has a super strong, absolutely sickening, soapy scent that lingered on my skin all day long. I have mild rosacea and this triggered itching and flushing; my cheeks were red all night, even after removing this. And here's the kicker, I didn't even apply this all over my face, I only used it on top on my cheekbones as a subtle highlighter. That's how strong and harmful the fragrance in this product is! Why do companies do this??

Compared to Fresh Glow, the Becca looks more natural on bare skin, and comes through foundation better. I could definitely see the glow under the foundation and didn't need to use a separate highlighter. The Burberry looks more intense on bare skin, a kind of opalescent, silvery sheen. Its effect almost completely disappears under foundation, however it can also be used on top of foundation as a highlighter. It's thinner consistency, more hydrating and it has no fragrance. It never caused any reaction.

I would have gladly switched to Becca if it weren't for the vile fragrance. Becca, I hope you're reading this.

I love this...the packaging is elegant, the primer is smooth and glowy...everything is great *but* it makes me break out...badly. It's def the primer. I tried my old primer and breakouts stopped. Sad. I love how great this makes my skin look. I even use less foundation bc it really perfects ur skin b4 makeup..lessens redness, hides dark shadows, just gives a nice glow. It does however emphasize dry patches so if ur skin is dry I wouldn't recommend using this. I'm bummed it breaks me out. I'll keep using it til it's gone, alternating with my usual primer, but I won't repurchase this. Really bummed.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I get a sample of this base from Sephora. I eventually tried and like this, enough to purchase the full size. Even though I have oily skin, this base actually make my makeup last longer than it should. But if you're like me, you have to be careful not to apply too much, or you will feel extremely oily (glowy?) on your face, and I'm pretty sure you don't want that. The packaging is really really pretty, it's a frosted glass bottle (with a pump) that feels really heavy and expensive, hence the price.

I mix this primer with my Maybelline BB cream and apply it with my fingers. My skin looks very fresh and dewy once I apply the product. It doesn't look overly dewy though. This product does lengthen the wear of my makeup, I do find that it still rubs off on my chin but I believe that is because I put my fingers on my chin a lot which rubs the product off. I bought this during the Spring 21 days of Ulta Beauty and only paid $19 for it. I am starting to get low and I've been looking st repurchasing it and $38 is going to be a hard pill to swallow! My only complaint is that when I had it after a few weeks you could really tell the bottle is not filled all the way with product. There was a noticeable decrease in the product and I had been using it sparingly.

on 8/7/2017 9:09:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

I honestly tried to love it and gave myself a full week to try it out in all possible combinations-with moisturizer, spf underneath, spf on the top, nothing, etc. Today alas the verdict is-this is totally useless for my combination skin:(

at least I bought it with a discount so it sliiiightly makes me feel better about wasting money:)

Anyhow, a detailed review:
i have combination skin which gets quite oily in the T-zone. Upon application, this makes my skin look somewhat glowing, not oily, and it DOES have a pleasant formula and it smells like Bulgari's Red Tea perfume:)

BUT although there were a few times that i felt my foundation stayed on a bit longer than usual (coincidence?), overall, i don't see any glow or any particular 'healthy look' as soon as I apply my makeup on the top (i am using Urban Decay Naked Skin). And within couple of hours, i am shiny in the T-zone as I usually am. I actually went as far and objective as to apply it only on one half of my face and unfortunately could not see any difference whatsoever...

I am still trying to hope that in the colder season, when i don't perspire like crazy on my face, this will make at least some positive difference to my routine but as of today i am quite disappointed in this product....

This is a decent primer, especially for people with normal skin. I have dry skin and to make this work best for me I apply a moisturizer first and then this Primer. This Primer does give you a nice glow without looking glittery. People with oily skin might find this to be a little too shimmery making pores more noticeable. My more informational and detailed review is below.