BECCA Backlight Priming Filter

BECCA Backlight Priming Filter

3.9

Water, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Tocopheryl Acetate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Extract, Panthenol, Silica, Carbomer, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, Iron Oxides (CI 77491).

on 5/20/2018 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is my holy grail highlight! For reference, I have dry/dehydrated skin with hormonal acne around my chin and sebaceous filaments around my nose.

If you're looking for a luminous water-based primer but don't necessarily care about extending the wear time of your foundation, this product is fantastic. This primer is a neutral ivory/champagne color with a pearlized finish- no visible shimmer or glitter. I particularly love this on its own over bare skin during the summer, it makes your skin look fresh and healthy but isn't so metallic or pigmented that it looks unnatural. When you wear it on its own it also diffuses any flaws/texture you might have in your skin, rather than emphasizing it. The texture of the product is also really nice- it's lightly hydrating and leaves a dewy finish, not sticky at all, while being thin enough to not cause any weird texture with finicky foundations. I also LOVE the packaging- the pump is awesome and a single pump is perfect for the whole face. The cap stays on firmly and I can toss it in my bd without worrying about it coming off.

There are only 2 downsides to this product- one is the cost. If I use this every day, I go through a container in about 6 weeks. This is the one high-end product I religiously repurchase that often and I think it's worth it, but it's not a cheap product to love. Also, the product does have a scent. It's sort of a fresh spa-like scent. I find it really lovely and it isn't super strong/irritating. However, I know some people are sensitive to scents so it would have been better without.

on 3/14/2018 4:03:00 PM

I would love to say I adore this primer, but its a tad to "pearly" for me. A little goes a long way, and I mix it with a hydrating primer for a more natural look.

on 3/10/2018 8:36:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Feels light in texture. Nice to use. This reminds me of a BB cream.I have combination skin & this ends up making my skin look too shiny and also the one size fits all colour didn't quite suit my complexion - think its better suited to people with cool undertones as it leaves a grey/silver finish

This is one of my favorite primers, it feels nice and moisturizing, smells nice, and works well, what more could you ask for?

I love it when my skin looks really pretty and glow-y, and this primer really does that for me. Makeup layered on top of this always looks really beautiful and luminous. I've only had it for five months and I'm dangerously close to needing to repurchase. This brings me to a con, it's expensive (almost everything from BECCA is), especially in New Zealand dollars. With the rate I've gone through it from using it most days, it feels like too much money. Also, though the packaging is so luxurious and pretty, I've found that my primer has separated a lot and so the product no longer looks as sleek. These are minor gripes, however. This is my favourite primer I own.

on 12/26/2017 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I've tried all of Becca's primers, and I just can't get on the Backlight train. I think the golden tones disappear against my golden tan skin. It also surprisingly seems to make my skin duller (!) compared to not wearing it. At least it didn't break me out.

on 12/20/2017 11:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I like this primer. It's nice and moist, so it works well with my dry skin, and it's pretty versatile. A small amount on bare skin gives you a nice, healthy glow. I don't even fully depress the pump -- I use about half of a pump. Too much shine is too much shine, so I go easy. It works great under foundation, and sometimes I use it on top as a highlighter, or I mix it with foundation or concealer. It has a light, clean fragrance, which disappears quickly. The pump bottle is nice and I think it will last a very long time.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I had heard this was a dupe for Burberry Fresh Glow primer and $10 cheaper. I'm so glad I got a sample first. OMG...the perfume in this thing! It has a super strong, absolutely sickening, soapy scent that lingered on my skin all day long. I have mild rosacea and this triggered itching and flushing; my cheeks were red all night, even after removing this. And here's the kicker, I didn't even apply this all over my face, I only used it on top on my cheekbones as a subtle highlighter. That's how strong and harmful the fragrance in this product is! Why do companies do this??

Compared to Fresh Glow, the Becca looks more natural on bare skin, and comes through foundation better. I could definitely see the glow under the foundation and didn't need to use a separate highlighter. The Burberry looks more intense on bare skin, a kind of opalescent, silvery sheen. Its effect almost completely disappears under foundation, however it can also be used on top of foundation as a highlighter. It's thinner consistency, more hydrating and it has no fragrance. It never caused any reaction.

I would have gladly switched to Becca if it weren't for the vile fragrance. Becca, I hope you're reading this.

I love this...the packaging is elegant, the primer is smooth and glowy...everything is great *but* it makes me break out...badly. It's def the primer. I tried my old primer and breakouts stopped. Sad. I love how great this makes my skin look. I even use less foundation bc it really perfects ur skin b4 makeup..lessens redness, hides dark shadows, just gives a nice glow. It does however emphasize dry patches so if ur skin is dry I wouldn't recommend using this. I'm bummed it breaks me out. I'll keep using it til it's gone, alternating with my usual primer, but I won't repurchase this. Really bummed.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I get a sample of this base from Sephora. I eventually tried and like this, enough to purchase the full size. Even though I have oily skin, this base actually make my makeup last longer than it should. But if you're like me, you have to be careful not to apply too much, or you will feel extremely oily (glowy?) on your face, and I'm pretty sure you don't want that. The packaging is really really pretty, it's a frosted glass bottle (with a pump) that feels really heavy and expensive, hence the price.