MAC Studio Waterweight Foundation SPF30

MAC Studio Waterweight Foundation SPF30

3.9

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 5.0 Titanium Dioxide 3.1 Zinc Oxide 2.1 Inactive Ingredients: Water\Aqua\Eau, Methyl Trimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Silica, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone Silylate, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Polysilicone-11, Citrullus Vulgaris (Watermelon) Fruit Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Lecithin, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Lens Esculenta (Lentil) Fruit Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein, Litchi Chinensis Seed Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Methicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Sodium PCA, Sodium Lactate, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Triethyl Citrate, Laureth-7, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Dextrin, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Polyglutamic Acid, Zinc Stearate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Dehydroacetate [ /- Mica, Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491), Iron Oxides (Ci 77492), Iron Oxides (Ci 77499)]

on 10/13/2017 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

See my initial 2 star review at the bottom before I figured out the best way to apply this foundation, and updated my review and rating from 2 to 4 lippies.

Since I had recently finished my bottle of MUFE HD foundation (which I enjoyed but I always want to try something new) and read so many glowing reviews for this makeup coming from people with all different skin types, I decided to try it out. I have fickle skin - acne-prone, oily-combo but dehydrated and I've been having a lot of problems lately with matte foundations ie. EL DW, Tarte Amazonian Clay, looking flat or cakey or separating on my skin and sticking to dry spots or blemishes, but many times satin foundations can just look greasy or transfer too easily. Always looking for that happy medium and this foundation sounded great as my skin has cleared up lately and I was in the market for a lighter weight foundation. This makeup is described as having light-medium, buildable coverage with a natural finish which is exactly what I was looking for.

**UPDATE:**
So I promised that before I threw in the towel on this makeup I would watch some youtube videos and see if I could find a better application method that would get this foundation to work and low and behold I did! When I first tried this foundation, I was using the regular, spread it on and rub it in with fingers and/or brush method that I normally use with foundation but that does not work with this makeup. By "working" this makeup into the skin with a brush and/or beautyblender sponge, it achieves the perfect satin sans greasy finish and keeps it from transferring so easily, although this makeup still definitely needs a setting powder.

To apply: After shaking the bottle, I dispensed a few drops on my hand and applied a few dabs to the center of the face, smoothing outward. To blend the foundation in, I found this is best accomplished by using a tightly packed synthetic foundation brush - the brush I have and the one the lady in the youtube video used is the Real Techniques foundation brush, which is an inexpensive but lovely brush that I highly recommend and use with all my liquid foundations. I must stress that in order for this foundation to look good, you MUST first buff and and then press it in so it melds with the skin. After thoroughly blending with my brush, I used my beautyblender dupe with a light tapping motion to further dab and press - not rub! - the makeup into my skin. Once this is done, then it is safe to add another layer of makeup which will give slightly more coverage. Coverage can go from sheer-light (one layer) to light-medium with two layers.

The woman in the video also set this makeup with MAC Mineralize Natural Skinfinish pressed powder which looked phenomenal - it gave her complexion the perfect satin-matte glow that I was hoping for when I initially tried on and set this makeup, and another beauty blog mentioned that these 2 products used together were a match made in heaven. I did exchange the too pink NW15 I'd initially bought for NC20 and purchased the Skinfinish Mineralize pressed powder in Light Plus as well to add some longevity and polish. Yes, it is pricey, but I am also not necessarily suggesting that you purchase both; I do not yet own the Skinfinish powder and this foundation still looked beautiful, so the Skinfinish is not imperative in making this foundation look good, but being the makeup junkie that I am I did go ahead and purchase both, so I will update once more when I receive it.

Changed my rating from 2 to 4 lippies, took one off because this foundation definitely takes practice and time during application to get it to look its best and it is certainly not a foundation that you can quickly slap on and go on days when you're running late, but I'm sure with practice the application will become easier and faster.

*IMPORTANT: Would definitely recommend new comers to watch or read a tutorial in applying this makeup because there is a slight learning curve, but once you do it does indeed give a beautiful natural finish. However, just to re-iterate: if you are normal-dry skinned this makeup is a yes, if you are oily-combo but looking for a natural finish again a yes, HOWEVER oily-skinned ladies looking for a matte finish, or anyone in the market for a med-full coverage foundation, this is NOT the one for you.*

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
I really really wanted to like this product but it simply did NOT work for me and here's why:
- Unfortunately, this foundation felt AND looked extremely greasy and slippery on my hands and face. I REALLY did want to get this to work, so I tried a few different application methods -- with a mattifying primer, with a regular primer, with fingers, with a brush, but nothing made any difference. It looked like I had just dunked my face in crisco.
- I applied my favorite setting powder, which I was hoping would tone down the greasy sheen and leave me with a satin-semi matte healthy glow (I use Kat Von D Lock It loose powder which has a beautiful finish that's not cakey or drying at all), BUT instead the powder caused the foundation to cling to my dry spots and look cakey which has never happened before with this amazing powder that I have used with several other foundations. So my makeup went from greasy to cakey while still being greasy.
-Foundation was not only too greasy for me but also transferred and rubbed-off very easily. I work full time and need my makeup to have decent lasting power.
-Coverage for me was not the light to medium buildable coverage that I was hoping for, instead it hardly seemed to cover anything and layering it did not work. My skin has been pretty clear lately so I was looking for a foundation that was less than full coverage that I could still see my skin through, but I do have some minor discolorations and some very mild scarring and this did not cover anything at all. I ended up having to load up on concealer which I hate doing.

on 10/3/2017 10:58:00 PM

Loving this! I'm 47, combo skin, and just really HATE foundation, I just really do. I don't have acne or acne scars, and have always used high end powder foundations like Lancome or Bobbi Brown, or BB creams/ tinted moisturizers from Boots No7, TheBalm, Pixi etc, and while I still like those, I am always trying to find an actual foundation(for better longevity/wear time) that I don't hate, and toss out after 2 weeks lol.. I had this applied on me last week at the new MAC counter, at my local Ulta and I fell in love! The SA applied it with the OMG Airbrush Foundation brush from IT Cosmetics, and it looked so amazing I bought the brush too(brush is $25 @Ulta) ... It just is an amazing foundation that's so light weight, has a light/medium satin finish, and just glides over the skin like silk... It's $35, and well worth it!

on 9/28/2017 1:27:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I ordered this foundation, and it arrived on Friday before my son's wedding rehearsal on Saturday. I had been curious about it, but was not sure, really, if it would work for me or not.( BTW, I am not a fan of F&B.) The day came, and it was 90 degrees in Ohio during the rehearsal. I applied this over UD primer (the pink one) and crossed my fingers. The coverage was smooth, even, more of a natural coverage than matte or radiant. NW20 was the shade I ordered, being light and pink. It does oxydize a bit, but it's not dramatic. It floated over my large pores and crevices with a beautiful light coverage, and a bit more on the cheek area did exactly what I wanted. I dusted a bit of KatVonD lock-it powder over top, which I received in a subscription box. I liberally sprayed with UD Chill, and although I was sweating and my hair totally fell, my makeup looked great. I wore it the next day for the outdoor wedding, with the same prep and finishing. Color me impressed! I can't wait to see how it works with my Julep Illuminating Primer, but that will have to wait until this dreadful heat has exited, stage left.

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I'll start off by saying that I hate the bottle that this is in. The top unscrews by itself and lifts up. If it is in my makeup bag, laying sideways, it will unscrew and you can guess what happens from there. With that being said, I love this foundation. It's the first foundation I've used in years other then tinted moisturizers. I like that it doesn't give me the feeling of being a completely different person when I wash this off. It's medium coverage. Love the smooth formula, the consistency makes it easy to apply powder, bronzer and blush over it. Just make sure to wash it off at night for you don't want to have a breakout. I haven't had any issues with breaking out other then not washing it off once or twice before bed. I got mine at the Cosmetics Company Outlet. Try there first.

on 9/8/2017 4:17:00 PM

I bought it because I really needed a new foundation but now it sits on the shelf. I cannot use this product, it gives me horrible acne. The first time I used it I just ignored the bumps, telling myself it was coincidence and it had nothing to do with this foundation. But after using it 3 days in a row it was impossible to ignore; the pimples were HUGE! Such a shame, it gives a nice no-make-up finish and the colour (NC15) matched my skin tone so well. I don't know what ingredient causes the acne, but this is the second MAC foundation that causes breakouts. Maybe my skin is just too sensitive.

on 9/7/2017 7:17:00 AM

I am so happy that his foundation has spf so I don't have to be all over looking for a SPF sunscreen that works with my foundations the product blends well into my skin but since I have oily skin it leaves a sticky feeling after the application and when I finish it with the prep+prime fix+ it just makes my skin even stickier. I still have to play around with it because during winter my skin tents to be a bit drier and hydrating foundations do work well on my skin.
I use a brush to applicate the product but you have to work quickly and blend it evenly because if you wait too much the foundation sets and gets really hard to blend.
About the price, I think it is a bit expensive since in Spain it costs 33€ and with that price I can get other foundations from high rated brands like dior for the same prize.

I'm gonna fo an update about this foundation during winter time and see how it has worked for me.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This stuff is gorgeous to wear. Since Sephora discontinued their very similar Ethereal Natural Finish Foundation, I've been looking for a replacement and I think this might be it. This has the added benefit of containing sun protection which is just one more point in its favour. I find this wears very well and gives my skin a beautiful, velvety finish. Finding the right shade can be tricky - I had samples of NW13 and also NW15 as my MAC SA said she'd found this runs a bit dark. NW13 has the strangest orange tone to it (odd in NW shades as that stands for "Not Warm") but NW15 is absolutely perfect. I'm glad I've found a product to replace my beloved Sephora foundation and I love the similar precision packaging with a dropper.

on 8/10/2017 5:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I'm so happy with this! I've tried BB creams with no real success so something lightweight and "foolproof" was something I was looking for. I don't like to look heavily made up.

I don't feel it on my skin, and it doesn't really look like I'm wearing much. Coverage is light and I'm glad I found something I can wear daily, cause liquid foundations have been out of the question for me for daily wear with the others I've tried. I've only really worn mineral makeup up until now. It even looks good outside in sunlight. It doesn't give those little dandruff looking flakes that seem to happen with other liquid foundations even though I exfoliate and moisturize.

I heard rumors the shades are not like other MAC foundations and run pink, but I went ahead and ordered NW20 anyways and it fits great. I'm cool/pink toned and fair.

Dropper is nice. It works well with beauty blender.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I was color matched to NC15 - I'm fair yellow/olive/neutral. It was a pretty good match and had decent coverage.

The finish is really pretty in the parts of my face that have normal skin - satiny and skin-like. On my big nose pores it did slip into them some. It was a bit flaky over a couple of pimples. It didn't accentuate lines.

It didn't hold up well on the oily parts of my face, even when set there with powder. Within 5 hours it was sliding around all over my nose. I didn't have a chance to use setting spray, just applied in store.

Pretty nice if you have normal skin, I don't.

I've been on the hunt for a hydrating, glowing foundation forever. I felt like Goldilocks and the three bears. Nothing was ever perfect. I just got a sample of this beautiful makeup today at Nordstrom and it is amazing! It's marketed to be a sheer formula but it covered most of my freckles and looks flawless in bright sunlight. My color NW13 was out of stock so the SA made me a sample and is shipping me my foundation! For reference, I have very dry skin and am 48 years old.