MAC Studio Waterweight Foundation SPF30

MAC Studio Waterweight Foundation SPF30

3.8

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 5.0 Titanium Dioxide 3.1 Zinc Oxide 2.1 Inactive Ingredients: Water\Aqua\Eau, Methyl Trimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Silica, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone Silylate, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Polysilicone-11, Citrullus Vulgaris (Watermelon) Fruit Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Lecithin, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Lens Esculenta (Lentil) Fruit Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein, Litchi Chinensis Seed Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Methicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Sodium PCA, Sodium Lactate, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Triethyl Citrate, Laureth-7, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Dextrin, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Polyglutamic Acid, Zinc Stearate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Dehydroacetate [ /- Mica, Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491), Iron Oxides (Ci 77492), Iron Oxides (Ci 77499)]

on 5/27/2018 8:40:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

MAC foundations have always been exceptional in my experience, but this one was a dud. This waterweight foundation is too...watery. It has very little coverage, which I like, but it never seems to settle. It sits on top of my skin and slips and slides all around my face, even after it's been powdered. I dont wear very much, but it's visible and obvious. Another reviewer described this foundation as pilling when layered over other products, and that has happened when I've accidentally applied to much. It delivers a "wet" look instead of a dewy, moisturizing glow. I will not be be purchasing.

I tried so hard to love this.

I bought it in NC15 which matched perfectly for me. But the issue was my dehydrated skin and the way this foundation worked with it.

My skin drinks up foundations. So this easily settles into being matte AF on me. I have no idea why. It shows all my pores and textures that no other foundation has ever done to me. This is something horribly new I've experienced with this foundation. So back it goes. Which is sad. I want something lightweight with coverage. The closest I've found is the IT Cosmetics CC cream.

TL;DR: not for dehydrated skin. Your skin will drink it up and cause it to be a dry matte mess. I'm returning this.

on 2/20/2018 1:31:00 PM

I have fair skin and it is typically dry. I moisturize my face and treat it with a facial serum (soon I will be purchasing face oil as well) but since switching to this moisturizing skin routine I haven't struggled with dry patches. I bought this make up because it is water based, I really don't like looking as if I have make up on and it is very light weight. When I tried it at the store I was pretty pleased, it looked great on my skin and the color match was perfect HOWEVER day 2 of wearing this product I started seeing dry patches on my skin, specifically the top of my forehead, around my nose and my chin. Now its day 3 and nooo thank you. I am 4 hours into wearing it today and I just checked my face, now it is clinging to my pores and my pores are not even big. So I will be returning. Now to try make up forever water blend! Fingers crossed.

on 1/24/2018 7:44:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I bought this foundation about a year ago and I remembered that I'd worn it a few times but could not remember specifically why I didn't like it. Today I wore it, without a primer, through an 8 hour workday. I put it on around 9 am and checked it out in a mirror when I got home at 6 pm...and it looked horrific. I generally have good skin and have a pretty fastidious skincare routine. This foundation made me look like I hadn't exfoliated or properly cleansed my skin in a few days. There was caking around my nose, mouth and chin, and on my cheeks close to my nose the foundation had settled in every pore. also looked flaky, which is odd. This is one of the worst foundations for my skin I have tried. I believe when I wore it previously when I initially bought it I t tried experimenting with different moisturizers and primers underneath. This literally looked like it was sliding off my face. I do realize foundations react differently on different skin types. Originally, I thought this was for dry skin but I read somewhere that MAC had made the claim that it was actually oil-controlling. I wonder if this is perhaps actually better for dry skins.

I had purchased this because it reminded me a little of Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua and I love medium-to-sheer foundations. On a positive note, this foundation does have an SPF 30, and once applied initially it does look very nice and glowy. It probably wears well for a couple of hours.I also liked the packaging with the dropper. I wear NC15 and the shade looked nice, but I just don't think this behaves well on skin that tends to be oily. For reference I had set it with MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I really really really wanted to like this product. When I first got this a year ago, the MUA recommended this when I asked for something with light to medium coverage that works for dry skin to replace the more expensive Chanel Vitalumiere.

First, she recommended this to me and in a much lighter shade (I'm NC 25-30 but she insisted that I buy NC20 cos it would brighten my skin). I bought it since it looked ok in the store and she convinced me that this shade is just right for me as it will oxidise as it set. She also said I can layer on if I wish to have more coverage. I tried it on again at home and the shade was just not right so I nv wore it for a full day.

Fast forward one year and I am down to NC25 so I decided to give this another shot. Here're the pros and cons:

Pros:
Brightens up the skin
Easy application with fingers
Dries quickly if a thin layer is applied
Nice packaging

Cons:
Slides off the face in a couple of hours despite using loose powder
Did not oxidise so it still made me look super pale
Cystic acne came up after using this for 2 consecutive days (nope, it wasn't Aunt Flo)
Foundation did not sit well with various sunscreens and some pilling occurred
Tried layering but more pilling occurred
Emphasised dryness and enlarged pores when this was applied on drier skin days (isn't this supposed to be for dry skin?!)

Till today, I'm still looking a cheaper alternative to my Vitalumiere. If anyone has any recommendations for moisturising and medium coverage foundations, please ping me.

on 11/14/2017 5:36:00 PM

First off, went to Macy’s to find a medium to high coverage foundstion, and this is what the lady gave me because of my combination skin...WHAT A LIE!!
Let’s starts with coverage. This coverage is a B.B. cream. Light to sheer coverage, itll cover some forms of redness but any pores, fine lines, texture, scarring, brown spots, etc, (basically your skin) will not be covered whatsoever.
If you have already perfect skin that needs zero coverage, I guess this would be perfect. Then again why waste almost $40 on something you don’t need?

Lasting power was horrendous. Never thought this stuff would disappoint me so much. After 5 different attempts of wearing this with Benefit porefessionl Primer, Ulta face Primer, spray Hard Candy Cocoanut water face Primer, and no Primer at all, this stuff would not stay. After about 4-5 hours it pretty much slide off my nose and the sides of it making my pores all near my nose look magnified and dried out, not to mention caked on. Overall, my pores lookee huge, magnified, and clung to my under eyes. It made me seem like I was a 50 year old woman wearing cakey foundation. I’m only 22 and have some mild acne/scarring but my golly MAC.
Plus I broke out in places I never really have with this. It felt so cakey and looked so heavy on my skin. :(

The finish is watery (NO DUH!) after application, but after a good 20-40 min it turns powedery/Satin like.

Just wish this worked. I was so sad.

If you like foundation that makes your skin look awful, emphasizes everything you don’t want, buy this.

PS this is the EXACT same formula as Smashboxs’ BB cream.

Hey Mac, don’t sell foundstion that has the same last and coverage as a B.B. cream and then sel the B.B. cream for even more money. rip off.

Will be returning after 6 different tries aka let downs.

Skin shade: Fair. Bought (NW13)
Skin type: Combination/Flakes around nose/Drier in the winter

I love this foundation! I am a teenager with pretty typical teenage skin - combo/oily with a few spots every now and then but nothing that is a massive issue.
I've been struggling for so long to find a perfect foundation - I wanted something lightweight and natural looking with more coverage than a BB cream or tinted moisturiser but not so much that I needed bronzer, blush etc etc to look alive. This foundation is perfect!
It covers my redness and uneven patches while being light enough to look like my natural skin. I do find that I have to set it with powder, as it is quite dewy, but it gives such a gorgeous finish that I don't mind that extra step. It manages to give that 'glowy' look without being oily or sparkly, and is perfect in summer. I have this in my summer shade (N35), but because it is so light I can use a small amount blended out well in winter, when my usual winter shade is N25. Somehow it still manages to cover everything that needs to be covered, and match my skin tone pretty well.

I like this foundation for day time only. Its a natural finish. You got to set it with powder for sure. Its 8 houre wear I would say. Not kiss and sex proof.

on 10/22/2017 5:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Deleted my initial review for this foundation and decided to write a new, updated review entirely. Since my skin has been pretty clear lately, I was looking for a lighter coverage foundation. I also found that the matte finish, long wear foundations (ie. EL DW, Tarte Amazonian Clay mousse, Revlon Colorstay) I normally wear have been looking very cakey on my skin and I wanted something more light weight and natural-looking. Initially I didn't like this makeup as I thought it felt and looked too greasy on my skin. However after reading so many positive reviews from people with all different skin types, I decided to give this foundation another shot and after experimenting with application methods, (tip: if you're having a hard time with application, try watching youtube application videos for this foundation) I found that it applied and looked beautiful. I have very fickle, oily-combo-dehydrated skin so it is difficult for me to find a foundation that works well. For reference, color-wise I am fair-light neutral-cool, 115 Ivory in MUFE HD, Ecru in EL DW. I ordered both NC and NW15 in this foundation and found that the NC15 looked way better, the NW15 had a slightly orangy-pasty look that didn't look good on me even though I lean cool. NC20 was way too dark and yellow for my particular skin tone.

Pros and tips:
-I love the natural-satin finish as it does not cake up on my oily-dehydrated t-zone and looks incredibly skin-like
-One layer of foundation will give light coverage, and two will give light-medium coverage which is perfect as I no longer wanted a foundation with medium-full coverage
-Coverage is enough to even out skin tone without it looking like you are wearing a mask, in fact when applied properly it hardly looks like you're wearing makeup. I checked it out in an outdoor mirror in bright sunlight yesterday and my face looked beautiful, even-toned but without any trace of a mask-like appearance
-Applies smoothly and evenly. As an application tip, I like to dab it on my t-zone and then blend it in by dabbing with a beautyblender. Since my t-zone is oily with large pores, but at the same time dehydrated, this method avoids "micro-exfoliation" which is what causes dehydrated skin to look flakey and it also avoids wiping away the primer I use underneath.
-I smooth the rest of the foundation onto my cheeks with my fingers or a tightly packed synthetic foundation brush (I use the Real Techniques foundation brush which is a great inexpensive brush) and then blend with this brush or a beautyblender. This allows the foundation to really "meld" with the skin and takes away the sheen that was what made me dislike this makeup when I first tried it out. Then you can do a second layer.
-Read on a blogpost that this makeup looks even better when used with MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural pressed powder, and also saw on youtube - the girl's skin looked phenomenal when she used this as a setting powder. Being the makeup junkie that I am I went ahead and bought the Mineralize Skinfinish in Light Plus and it really looks beautiful with this makeup. It adds a little extra coverage and gives a beautiful, healthy satin finish that mattes slightly without looking the least bit heavy or cakey. That being said, you certainly do not need both products (I know they are both pricey) for this makeup to look good, but a setting and/or finishing powder is needed for this to last and not transfer
-Did NOT oxidize at all for me which is a huge plus! For some reason, even with a primer SO many foundations oxidize on my skin.
-Pretty glass bottle and I like the dropper. Make sure to shake before applying.

Cons (why I look off one lippie):
-Lasting power could be better. I work a full time job and at the end of my 8 hour shift it no longer looked freshly applied and my skin looked a little flaky. The flakiness could be attributed to me over-powdering throughout the day, though. I find that there is a trade-off with foundation; those with good lasting power tend to be cakier and have heavier coverage and those with a natural finish tend not to last as long
-Didn't really control oil breakthrough, but again this is a trade-off for a more natural finish. Even with oil-control foundations, I still have to blot throughout the day so it didn't really make much of a negative difference for me.
-A setting and/or finishing powder is necessary for lasting power and to avoid transfer, but I use both regardless so again this isn't really a con for me personally
-Application can be a little tricky, at least for my finicky skin. Takes a little while to apply, for me it's defiantly not a "slap on and go," makeup, but I'm sure with practice application will get easier and faster.

Overall, I really enjoy this foundation. **It has to be said: if you have either dry or normal skin this foundation is a yes. If you have oily or combo skin but you are looking for a natural, light-medium finish this foundation is a yes. If, however, you are looking for med-full coverage or a matte finish foundation this makeup is not for you**

One other thing to be noted: Smashbox Camera Ready BB Water is literally the exact same product at a higher price.

on 10/3/2017 10:58:00 PM

Loving this! I'm 47, combo skin, and just really HATE foundation, I just really do. I don't have acne or acne scars, and have always used high end powder foundations like Lancome or Bobbi Brown, or BB creams/ tinted moisturizers from Boots No7, TheBalm, Pixi etc, and while I still like those, I am always trying to find an actual foundation(for better longevity/wear time) that I don't hate, and toss out after 2 weeks lol.. I had this applied on me last week at the new MAC counter at my local Ulta and I fell in love! The SA applied it with the OMG Airbrush Foundation brush from IT Cosmetics, and it looked so amazing I bought the brush too(brush is $25 @Ulta) ... It just is an amazing foundation that's so light weight, has a light/medium satin finish, and just glides over the skin like silk... It's $35, and well worth it!