Mario Badescu Drying Mask

Filtered by skin tone : Dark
Mario Badescu Drying Mask

2.3

Ingredients: Deionized Water (Aqua),Kaolin,Wheat (Triticum Vulgare) Starch, Calamine,Ichthammol,Propylene Glycol, Colloidal Sulfur, Titanium Dioxide 5/20/09

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

When you become accustomed to temperamental skin, trawling through every magazine's beauty section becomes common place and 'Mario Badescu' kept popping up. This particular product was mentioned in a Teen Vogue article - spread it on, sleep and pimple simply downsizes - so I bought in!

Beauty bay 60ml for £15.50, not terrible.

The smell is noticeable, pungent, but makes me feel like I'm actually getting a treatment: not slathering floral scented chemicals across my skin.
The little tub probably isn't the best thing, practical packaging wise, I would have maybe liked an applicator (popsicle stick?) as I end up with face mask in my acrylic nails - gr.

So! I started off by applying it at day time (all over my face because my pimples are, well... all over my face!) 20 minutes and wash off. It dries kinda fast, then washing it off you get a greyish tinge allover your face -.-: the mask doesn't like coming off, so I'd advise the use of a wash cloth if you're down with them (I don't like them personally)...

There wasn't really an improvement in my skin. I still however continue to use the product. I apply it before I sleep and end up with luscious face mask crumbs on my pillowcase - yum(!)

Not really any improvement in my pimple laden skin though.

I will continue to use it! It's been over a month but perseverance is key!

I must note that my pimples don't really have very clear white heads, they're faintly red bumps on my skin and occasionally they rise to the surface and you see a visible white head, so this could be why this product isn't working, maybe it'd be better for my cystic pussy acne.

I'll probably by Mario Badescu products in the future again, just not this one.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

After much research I decided to take the plunge and purchase this mask to treat my hormonal acne. When I break-out its pretty minimal but its enough to stress me out. The smell of this is quite pungent but the end results make it worth it. I've used it once a week for a month now and I've experienced no issues with further breaking out. Immediately after removal I apply a rich moisturizer suited for oily skin as this mask is quite drying. I will definitely re-purchase this again.

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

I wanted to like this product. I really do since it has all of the best ingredients to draw out acne to the surface and heal faster, which includes colloidal sulfur and ichthammol, which is a kind of sulfur compound. But unfortunately it makes me itch and I strongly suspect it is the wheat starch. Along with the itchy skin, I would break out even more. I think I might have developed an intolerance to wheat, which my esthetician suggested to me. I just want to reinforce that it is not a bad product but the wheat starch just doesn't agree with me. If Mario Badescu replaced the wheat starch with something else, I would be buying this in bulk. Luckily the drying cream works splendidly for me.

on 11/23/2006 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Oh no Sir. No Sir!!!!

Packaging: Standard green and white MB signature tub. Cutesy but nothing exciting.

Efficacy: Whoo let me tell you...I caked this on whenever I got a chance but all to no avail. Spot treatments, overnight masks, in between mask...zip, zilch, nada. It did dry out my skin, but in the wintertime this led to the flakies and in the summertime (let's just in the summer my skin is best described as oily with oilier patches) after the inital half-hour "ghoulface" the oil came gushing back with a vengeance. You know when you can moisturize your hands with the shine coming off your forehead...yup, that's the one. And in the end, the acne was still there and took its own sweet time in departing.

Scent/Texture/Etc.: Smells like a bouquet of burning rubber, sulphur and zinc and looks it too. It is a thick grey-brown mask, very goopy bordering on tacky which only gets tackier as time goes back. Towards the end, before I tossed it, I found myself longing for the departed goopiness as applying it became that annoying. You smear this on and then it dries to a dry, cakey finish which you remove with warm water. The mask has a "stick to it" attitude that after the first five minutes spent at removal you'll learn to not appreciate. There are often little flecks of it that just do not want to be removed and will work your last nerve. This all finished off with the charming ghoulface look which necessitates piling on enough moisturizer to counteract any effects that the drying may have garnered you.

Price: Too pricey. 20zs for $18. Far too costly for what it is. Queen Helene does a good impurity-lifting clay mask and the aspirin mask has this beat on fighting acne any day. The only plus that may have been offered by a higher end product: superior scent and texture is noticeably lacking in this formulation. A definite DNR....do not repurchase.

continued >>