LUSH Cup O' Coffee

LUSH Cup O' Coffee
Cup O' Coffee

4.4

Organic Agave Syrup (Agave tequilana), Kaolin, Glycerine, Coffee Infusion (Coffea Arabica), Talc, Ground Coffee (Coffea arabica), Bentone (Hectorite), Fragrance, Vetivert Oil (Vetiveria zizanoides), Vanilla Absolute (Vanilla Planifolia), Roasted Cocoa Extract (Theobroma Cacao), Coriander Seed Oil (Coriandrum sativum), Caffeine Powder, *Coumarin, *Limonene, *Linalool. *Occurs naturally in essential oils

on 10/7/2017 2:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Looking at the negative reviews for this mask around the internet, I feel like there are a few things that many of them have in common that I want to address.
* Using a wash cloth to wash it off. I don't think you should with this product, or any other physical peel for that matter. Even if that's how you usually remove masks, treat this as the peel product that it is and wash it off. The cloth in itself will be mildly peeling/abrasive to the skin. Combining it with a product that has rather big grains in it will be too much for a lot of people's skin, I believe. I know it would for mine. Just wash it off with lots of water - it'll come right off AND it'll be gentler. No coffee stains on your cloths, either. (And of course it's going to stain - it is packed full of actual coffee, after all.)
* Rubbing it in when applying it. The consistency is sticky and the coffee grounds are not very finely milled, and you need the added water to make it glide over the skin easier and be less abrasive. Just spread it across the skin the way you would a normal mask, and leave the buffing 'til the end.
* Using it on really dry skin. I generally think you should avoid physical peels on really dry skin, and this mask also has kaolin in it, which absorbs oil. It's just not aimed at dry skin, and I don't find it surprising that people with dry skin dislike it for being drying.

With that rant over with... I love this mask as a sort of "pick me up" for the skin. It's not one of those mask that really target any long-time problems like acne, dryness, oily skin and so on, but it does give the skin a bright, plump, and overall very nice look right away. Perfect before any event where you want your skin to be glowing, before makeup application in general, or just on days when your skin is looking particularly dull and lifeless (for me, that's almost every other day during the winter months).

As mentioned above, it's a really sticky formula due to the agave syrup, and it doesn't dry down completely on the skin. I actually appreciate that, because I feel like I can really take my time with this mask and it'll still do something for my face (compared to many of Lush's fresh masks that dry very quickly and then will start to crumble terribly). The coffee grounds are pretty chunky, but I think you can still get a relatively gentle peel if you wash it off with little pressure and a lot of water. It doesn't leave any residue like some Lush masks will, but your skin will feel really smooth and plump afterwards. I can see some clearing up of my pores, especially on my nose, but I wouldn't consider it's a deep cleansing mask first or foremost. What this mask does best is give the skin an instant brightness boost, and it does that better than almost any mask I've tried.

+ Cruelty free
+ Vegan
+ The smell has really grown on me. Not liking coffee, I avoided it for a good while. I find that it smells like a vanilla latte, with a hint of smokiness that most likely comes from the roasted cocoa extract. Not at all unpleasant, actually
+ The instant results, while not the most long-lasting, are quite astonishing
+ Leaves the skin so, so smooth to the touch
+ Foundation will apply beautifully after using it
+ Lasts me for ages and ages. I have the small tub, I've lost count on how many times I've used it, yet I'm only half way through with it
+ Decent shelf life of 3 months, same as the Mask of Magnaminty (which I find to be kind of "meh", by the way)
+ No plastic beads in this scrub!

- The coffee grounds could be a little more finely milled
- I'm not too phased with perfume in skincare unless it's really over the top, but in this case I think it could've done without it. We have coffee, vanilla absolute and roasted cocoa extract - shouldn't that be enough fragrance without adding more?
- A little more long-lasting results would've been nice (and it would've made it a perfect 5 out of 5)

on 10/6/2017 12:55:00 AM

My skin is still burning half an hour later! I got a sample of his mask, washed my face and let it sit on for about 8 minutes. Washed.... and that's when I noticed the burning sensation. I gently washed. The coffee scrub itself is not smooth. It is huge and very jagged. My skin feels like it has hundreds of needle points in it! And after I dried my skin? My face is bright red! And it still stings half an hour later! As for the smell? It smells like musty Tobacco. Maybe my skin is too sensitive for this, but I ended up throwing out the rest of the sample and hope my skin calms down soon!!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

While this mask left my skin soft, that's about it in terms of benefits for me.

I got this as a sample which was nice, because I only needed one try to know this isn't the mask for me. It has a very strong scent which is a bit much if you apply it all over your face. The coffee grounds are very rough and even applying and removing this mask gently gave me a pretty serious exfoliation. I prefer much finer facial scrubs. I would say this is less of a mask and more of a scrub. This 'mask' is also incredibly messy to remove, be prepared to wash your sink after taking it off.

If you don't mind a strong coffee scent and you're in the market for a heavy duty scrub, cup o' coffee might be right for you. I could also see this working well as a body scrub instead of a face mask, but I'm not interested enough to buy it and give it a try. I'll stick to ocean salt for my body and mask of magnaminty for my face.

on 1/19/2017 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Lush masks have yet to fail me and this is yet another one that worked as promised. It left my skin feeling soft and looking bright. I would recommend using this in the morning and *only* in the shower, as the coffee grinds are difficult to remove using a washcloth and make a bit of a mess in the sink. It has a really sweet scent which I didn't care for at first, but it grew on me. Also, get the small pot . . . you don't need that much and it's more of a one or two times a week kind of mask.

on 7/21/2017 9:01:00 AM

I've been using this product for a couple of weeks and I'm halfway through. My skin does feel smoother immediately after washing it off, however, I don't think it made any difference regarding the texture of my skin.
If I use it before putting on my makeup, I think it makes the foundation application a bit better.
It's quite rought so I try not to rub a lot. It makes a mess when you take it off and it stained my washcloth.
The smell is quite strong, my brother liked it, my mum said it's like nicotine. I'm neither amazed nor repulsed by it.
I will use it up, but will not repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I really like this mask, however; i would call it a scrub. It works magic cleaning the skin and pores. It leaves the face shiny en clean without it feeling thight or dry. I like the scent but for some it might be too much.

I would not recommend for people with very sensitive or dry skin.

on 1/3/2017 7:16:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine

I LOVE IT ! YES!

I have combination but very sensitive skin. In the winter time it tends to be a bit more dry than summertime (as everyone else out there).

This is a coffee scented mask with rough coffee granula, vanilla and many more delicious ingredients - check out their website. When I first tried it I was convinced that it would totally break me out - instead the most glowing and exfoliated skin emerged. I am very impressed. You first put it on and leave it for 10-15 min, then you put a bit of water on your hands and start scrubbing it down - the roughness depending on your skintype. Rinse it off with water.

BUT be advised, even though I love it I can only see myself using it a maximum of two times a week. It is a very rough mask and it is VERY effective. For very sensitive skin you might wanna hydrate really nicely afterwards.

Now you're sitting there thinking, should I go for the big or little one... Well, I went for the big 325 gram - it is the same size as a charity pot with 240 gram (we all know that lovely little one, don't we?) BUT I'm honestly not sure I will be able to use it all up. As much as I love it, they do expire and being all the more wiser now, I would just go for the small size which is about half the price as well (so you don't safe much money by going big).

on 1/18/2017 8:28:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm giving this a 5-star review because I believe it works very well in terms of brightening and softening skin. The first day I used it, my skin looked so awake and even that I didn't bother to wear makeup.
My only caveat is for those of us with sensitive, acne-prone skin. It caused a minor breakout on my chin, and for that reason, I have to discontinue use. I will, however, repurchase for my husband, as he is in love with it.
The smell is delicious and the packaging, true to Lush, is quite sturdy and doesn't appear to leak. I don't mind the price because in reality, you only need to use a small amount of this on your face, so a big tub will last a long time.
This is an amazing product, but use with caution if your skin likes to break into pizza mode at the slightest provocation like mine.

on 11/2/2016 8:14:00 PM

I love this stuff! The smell is so awesome and I feel like it does usually get all the dead skin cells off. If you go to Lush they will give you a free sample. Try it for yourself to see!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Cup O Coffee is a great facemask from Lush. It is not a 'fresh' mask so its shelf life is three months rather than two weeks. This mask smells like coffee, but not strong coffe like a boutique coffee shop, in my mind it smells like coffee mixed with mud. It is not unpleasant however, though I know my description might be off-putting. The mask itself is very nice on the skin, it is not irritating on my sensitive skin. I apply the mask to clean skin for roughly 10-15 minutes then rinse off in the shower. The coffee grounds within the mask provide exfoliation for the skin. It is quite a strong exfoliation but did not irritate my skin or make it red or painful. When I use this mask, my skin looks less congested, brighter and clearer. This product is vegan and I highly recommend it.