LUSH Kalamazoo

Kalamazoo

4.7

Water, Stearic Acid, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Glyceryl Stearate

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have to start by saying that even though this is specifically meant for bearded guys, I tried it because I heard great things about it being a nice cleanser for girls as well. So, this review will be about my experience with it as a cleanser, not the beard wash it was meant to be. I'll have to pass it on to my boyfriend to see if it works as it should. As for me, I was not impressed.

It comes in a tub, which is fine, and smells pretty good, like sweet citrus. It feels really smooth, which I didn't like. I like to feel some kind of exfoliant when I wash my face, even if it's super light. With this, I felt like I was just rubbing a thick hair conditioner over my face (which makes sense if you remember that this is meant for beards).

I've been using it for about a month. Once in the morning when I shower, and again at night after I've removed my make-up. I wet my face and rubbed this all over then rinsed it off. I did feel like it cleaned my skin, but not as well as other cleansers. There were a few times where it left my face feeling a little itchy, and other times where it left behind dry/dead skin. It just wasn't a good match for me. I'll be sticking to LUSH's Dark Angels for now.

I think it's worth trying if you're still searching for something, since everyone is different, but I won't be buying it again.

on 9/7/2018 5:45:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Aimed towards bearded men but definitely a good cleanser for the beardless as well!! I use this as an AM facewash, it doesn’t foam but cleans very well. Smells nice & fresh, you don’t need a lot (the small pot lasts ages) and it (very gently) exfoliates thanks to pineapple enzymes. I’m used to strong acids so the exfoliating part doesn’t really do anything for me but it’s probably goodfor people who want to dip their toe in a bit of gentle exfoliation.

on 8/5/2018 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Although marketed to fluffy-bearded men, I'd say this is a great cream cleanser for all sorts of people.

What I like about this cleanser is that it doesn't lather into a foam because foamy cleansers tend to make my already dry skin into "skulls-in-the-desert" dry. For some people, this might be a turn-off because people tend to equate foaming action with cleaning. Not necessarily.
It's formulated with pineapple enzymes to gently exfoliate your skin. It's pretty gentle. No stinging at all - maybe a little brightening? And it smells PHENOMENAL.

I stole a little of this cleanser from my boyfriend and though he's not a product guy, he really likes Kalamazoo!

Of course the packaging is to die for, but the only concern I have for anyone using this product (or any pot product from lush) is the container in showers. I hear sometimes if stored in the shower and then used in the shower, water gets in when you open the lid. I use mine at my sink more then anything, and when I use it in the shower I seem to have no difficulties that I A grown woman cant handle. This product although designed with men in mind, is amazing for my acne prone skin. I've struggled to find a product that keeps my skin from flaring up but also follows my ethics that I believe in, and this is IT! It is advertised as a beard and face wash, but id change that to face or beard wash. It cleanses, removes makeup, is gentle and has a TON of enzymatic properties that aid in acne healing and prevention.

on 2/10/2017 7:37:00 PM

This stuff is great!! I find it to be gently cleansing, and my face feels hydrated after. I also don't seem to be using as much moisturizer after I shower. Sweet fragrance, gentle emollient, good price. My (male) roommate keeps stealing it, says it makes his beard smell good haha. Will rebuy!

on 9/17/2016 11:09:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

So after being roped in by the (super dramatic) Lush sales-dude, my boyfriend decided to get this cleanser. I was surprised because he doesn't ever wash his face (save for in the shower).
Every time he washes his face I can't stop touching it, it's so smooth! It's ridiculously smooth! I don't know if its because he didn't do anything to it before, but he has baby soft skin and it's amazing!
It's gentle, smells a bit soapy afterwards on the skin and really softens beard hair, making it less scratchy.

on 9/10/2016 11:03:00 PM

I've never really loved any of Lush's cleansers - sure, they have grainy 'cleansers' like Let The Good Times Roll that are great for physical exfoliation (I'm moving toward chemical exfoliants now though) but their actual cleansing cleansers like Coalface and Fresh Farmacy are too stripping for me. Too squeaky clean.

I've been using this for about a month now and it's fantastic. A tiny dab on a damp face, it lathers very lightly but serves to cleanse just right. I feel like the pineapple and whatever citrus is in there is brightening too.

As for the beard softening claims - it *has* softened my (unruly, thick) eyebrows! I know it's marketed to chaps but I'm glad I bought this. Would repurchase.

on 9/1/2016 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a nice rich cream that has a pleasant smell. It is ideal for beards and to soften hair. You can use it as a cleanser all over your face, but it is ideal for cleansing the beard hair and softening it. I noticed a difference using this a couple times a week, and my beard looks soft and feels great!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I recently went on the hunt to find a mild beard/face cleanser for my man. He's not one to primp and groom much, so I had to be careful to find something that was fairly neutral as not to scare him away. I went to Lush and liked the scent of this one the best. The scent is citrusy with some green notes too, not too girly and not too manly. It's nice and creamy, and the package says it's also good for bare skin, so I thought what the heck? I'll try it. Well..I'm now in my 2nd week of almost daily use of this stuff, and I love it. It makes my skin impossibly soft, reduces my redness, and brightens overall! I use it in the bath or shower, using a nickel sized amount and then rubbing it vigorously all over my face so it lathers up a bit. It smells good, it's creamy but it cleanses the skin well, and it rinses off easily. I would say this is good for any skin type, but especially good for dry or mature skin since it is so incredibly softening. I think it's safe to say that I have stolen this from my other half for good....!

on 1/2/2016 10:54:00 PM

I was so pleasantly surprised by this! I didn't know it was a rinse-off cream, I thought it was going to be more like Ultrabland, where you have to wipe it off with a warm washcloth. This has some kind of surfactant mixed into it, so it turns soapy when water hits it. Not really sudsy, just rinses away clean. Like a cleansing oil. This is a very thick cream, and smells citrusy.

I was interested in this as an alternative to Ultrabland, just to shake things up. I was also interested in the pineapple and other acidic, brightening ingredients. The store clerk at LUSH warned me that it might sting my eyes, but I rubbed it on my eyelids to melt eye makeup and it was fine. I don't have to rub very hard because I wear tubing mascara, which comes off with water anyway, so YMMV if you rub Kalamazoo deep in your eyes to get off stubborn mascara.

I've been using a sample of this to remove makeup at night (I follow up with either Coal Face or Fresh Farmacy) and to gently cleanse in the morning. I love, love, love it. I just smear it all over my face and then it rinses off clean with water. Often I'll put it on my face and keep it on through the shower so the pineapple can do its work longer. My skin feels perfectly clean and very fresh afterward.

Totally going to go buy a big pot! They hit this one out of the park.