Cosrx Galactomyces 95 Whitening Power Essence

Cosrx Galactomyces 95 Whitening Power Essence

3.4

Galactomyces Ferment Filtrate (95), Niacinamide, Sodium Hyaluronate, Betaine, Panthenol, Glycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Allantoin, Butylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Ethyl Hexanediol, Adenosine

on 9/5/2017 9:40:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I highly recommend this product to those with dry, sun-damaged skin. The reviews are very mixed--my results have been amazing, with an obvious reduction in hyperpigmentation after one week. My skin feels plump and hydrated; my acne has been behaving.

I'm not sure why the reviews are so mixed--obviously if you already have hydrated, even-toned skin, the results might not be noticeable. I am a natural redhead, 40 years old, and my skin is very dry and acne prone (flareups depend on the time of month). Also, it is the end of summer and I have been spending quite a bit of time outside, so even though I wear sunscreen, my skin always takes a beating by the end of August. Because of this, I have been avoiding harsh ingredients such as retinoids and strong AHAs (my skin is better off in the long term, although I will probably reach for at least one of these products during the winter months). My skin soaks this essence up in less than 30 seconds. I typically apply 2 pumps at night and maybe one pump in the morning. So far, I haven't been applying several layers of product on top of this, just plenty of ceramide-based moisturizer and argan oil (with lavender) to lock everything in.

This is the third essence I've tried and I have ranked them below from most to least effective.
1) CosRX Galactomyces 95 Whitening Power Essence
2) Missha Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence (close second)
3) Goodal Waterest First Essence

I will continue to try other essence products, but given the high efficacy to price ratio, I will definitely repurchase this one.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This is one of the first AB products I tried. It's a clear runny essence with no scent that's extremely lightweight, like thickened water. It spreads out super easily and as it dries it can feel a bit sticky but at the end it leaves a matte finish behind. The main reason why I purchased it was because of its star ingredient, niacinamide, widely known for its brightening benefits. I suffer from some marks left behind by old acne and was hoping this product would help. I've used it for 5 months and I can't tell it does much for that specific purpose, but it's not ineffective either. It's a very pleasant hydrating, non clogging layer in my routine that layers well with other products and overall may give a subtle glow, but it's nothing that I wouldn't dare skip. I'll happily use it until it's finished but it's not HG.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

my first product from cosrx
this is moisturize my skin
but i didn't see any change from my skin
since i have a better product to moisturize my skin
maybe this just doesn't work on me
sorry

on 5/13/2017 4:15:00 PM

I like the way it aplies and soaks into my skin. But I suspect it worsens my acne. I get especially many new spots on the jaw line where I don't usually get acne. I'll try to stop using it and see if it helps.

Background: NC20(ish), combination-oily skin that's becoming more sensitive & acne-prone as I age.

Last year, due to stress, hormonal changes, or the antibiotics I took for an URTI (or all of the above), my skin decided to freak out and sprouted breakouts left, right & center. My T-zone is clear but my cheeks and U-zone became quite problematic.

I've gone on a massive spending binge, trying to find products that will help my skin recover, mainly focusing on Asian Beauty products.

I've always wanted to try the famous SK-II essence, but just couldn't justify spending that much on a single product, especially since I was still recovering from breakouts. When my skin has finally started to heal, I decided to incorporate this in my routine, hoping it will help hydrate and fade my PIH faster.

This is a slow burn product, I wasn't really thrilled or impressed during the first few weeks that I used it, but I decided to soldier on and keep it in my routine. By month 3 of usage, I finally understood what makes this so darn good: This makes my skin look so plump and feel so soft. While on its own, it doesn't have extraordinary lightening powers, this helps your other products absorb and work better. But yes, there certainly is a brightening effect after some religious usage. Sometimes when I get lazy, I skip the last moisturizing step and let this be my "final" moisturizer, and my skin still looks great in the morning.

It's very economical, too. I've been using it for nearly 5 months almost every day and the bottle is still 3/4 full. This may not be the MVP of my current routine but it certainly is Best In Assist! And yeah, I have no interest in trying out SK-II's essence anymore. Why spend that much when this is a perfectly good dupe for a mere fraction of the price? ;)

I'm surprised this isn't rated higher, Galactomyces has quickly reached HG status for me. Application technique matters though. The first time I applied it (the night I received it), I put some on my finger and then applied it to my skin; this did not seem to yield any results. After reading more about the product that night, the next morning I applied it using a cotton ball and I got the most amazing glow from the product--kind of like if I'd just used a brightening sheet mask. Using cotton to apply toners makes me feel like I'm wasting product though, so I've been resorting to squirting the essence on the back of a hand and then gently pressing to my face, holding it against the skin for a bit. This seems to work as well as using the cotton ball and without wastage. Since I've added this to my skin care regimen I've noticed a difference (I look like I have an inner glow), I can't believe it's all from one product. I will definitely be repurchasing in the future.

on 4/3/2017 8:46:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I'm in agreement with many other folks who have reviewed this product. It has a lovely texture with a lot of slip that makes application a breeze. It sits well underneath makeup and sunscreen and has very little odour. It is very moisturizing and soothing. It lasts forever (I used about 2-3 pumps on my face and neck twice a day). Unfortunately, it's just nice. It didn't really do anything to my face. I was hoping for some improvement in the hyperpigmented areas on my forehead and jawline as it contains niacinamide, which is a proven brightening ingredient, but it did not deliver. It is very economical and the packaging is lovely but it's not very effective.

on 3/30/2017 2:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I don't know if I like this product or not. It has a great consistency upon application, feels very comfortable on the skin, doesn't pill under makeup and is moisturising without being too over the top - things I look for in skincare. But I just feel like this essence was advertised for more. It has niacinamide in it, which is supposed to help with hyperpigmentation, but I don't know if I saw significant changes in my hyperpigmentation marks from this. If you're after an affordable first essence, this is a great choice. But perhaps if you want an essence that does a little more than just moisturise and feel nice on the skin and under makeup, ~maybe~ try another.

on 3/21/2017 10:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The one and only thing I like about this product is it gives a little 'slip' to the skin so it helps my toner goes on smoother. Without it, I need to use more of my toner to mimic the effect.

That said, I'm purposely doing the 7 skin method with this in order to use it up and throw it away.

There's just nothing special about it. Someone else called it thermal water on steroids and I wholeheartedly agree.

I think most people buy into the Cosrx hype because of its sturdy, minimalist packaging and fair price point. But if the products don't work, what's the point?