Cosrx BHA Blackhead Power Liquid

Cosrx BHA Blackhead Power Liquid

4.1

Salix alba (willow) bark water, butylene glycol, betaine salicylate (4), niacinamide, 1,2-hexanediol, arginine, panthenol, sodium hyaluronate, xanthan gum, ethyl hexanediol. pH is 4. (Amount of niacinamide is 2 according to someone on Reddit who contacted Cosrx directly.)

on 9/6/2017 11:12:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Wonderful BHA product! Normally my skin cannot tolerate much niacinamide, and I see from the ing list posted that this contains that ing. However, this does not cause me any irritation unless I use it more than once per day. It's a clear, scentless (to me) liquid that's a little thicker than water. Unlike many BHA products, it contains no alcohol and is wonderfully non-drying to my skin. I'd say it's kind of like PC's BHA liquids, except less tacky/sticky, cheaper, and better at de-gunking. It does an amazing job of de-sticking and exfoliating my dead, sticky, cloggy skin cells that refuse to shed on their own. I have super oily yet sensitive, prone to dehydration skin that suffers from both rosacea and acne (lovely!). The kind of sticky dead-skin cells that need even more de-gunking power than Rx RetinA gel 0.1% 3-4x/week. This stuff is so gentle you don't think it's working, but then you see hard, deep clogs coming resolving and coming to the surface. Some like to apply w/ hands, I am wasteful and like using cotton pads to apply, but hands will do in a pinch for me. HG stuff.

on 9/5/2017 6:44:00 AM

I have suffered from blackheads since I was 12 (I am now 24 so that is over a decade of stubborn blackheads) and after trying everything from nose strips to clay masks, I had given up. I had just accepted that I was probably one of those people with blackheads. Then I started reading up on BHA and I thought I would try Cosrx. It's safe to say I LOVE this product. I've been using it for 2 months now and my blackheads are gone. Not only does this product exfoliate inside the pores to eliminate blackheads, it also has niacinamide in it which helps heal acne scars. It's a win win for me. Any pimples I had are now completely gone and I haven't had any new ones since I started using this product regularly. My skin feels soft and smooth in the evening when I wash my face, so I can tell it's doing its job at exfoliating.

I should also add, since I mentioned acne scars, this product did not cure my acne. Roaccutane did that. However, after I stopped taking Roaccutane, I would sometimes get small bumps or pimples from active products. This product took those pimples away and I haven't had a single one since.

NOTE to people who find this product ineffective: BHA works best for a combination to oily skin as it is activated by oils. If you aren't oily, I recommend using a light facial oil over this once it has sunken into the skin to get it going. I use this method as my skin is feeling very balanced these days and now leans towards the normal to dry side of the spectrum thanks to my skincare routine.

on 7/6/2017 7:48:00 PM

I have combination skin that tends to be a bit dehydrated. I have large pores and used to have problems with pimples in my 20s. Nowadays, I only get maybe 1-2 pimples a month around pms. I think my skin hates this product. It doesn't irritate my skin or anything but I have tried to add it into my routine 3 times now with a few weeks break in between and each and every time after I use this I always get big zits on my face, my pores also appears larger and I see more blackheads around my nose and cheeks a few days after use. Not sure why my skin is reacting this way and seems to do the opposite of what the product is supposed to do.

on 7/30/2017 9:42:00 PM

I have many blackheads and whiteheads in my t zone. I've gone to estheticians to manually remove these clogged pores, but they just reemerge after being extracted. My pores are large and some are stretched from the constant barrage of oil and oily plugs. I had one facialist rudely comment that my pores are "huge," and that "it's not normal." I never saw her again because of her rudeness, but desperately started to seek solutions to my skin problems. I am 39 years old now-and though my skin isn't as oily as say when I was 15 or 16-my large pores has been a problem since adolescence for over 20 years. This product has made a remarkable difference in the size of my pores, number and severity of blackheads and whiteheads, and given my skin a renewed smooth texture for a low price. I highly, highly recommend this product. If you battle large pores, breakouts, and blackheads-you need something that will refine the pores, clean out the oily plugs, all without "punishing" your skin with harsh disinfectants or exfoliants. Even if you battle oily skin, you don't want to completely strip your skin of its nourishing and protecting natural oils. This product fits the bill-it's affordable, gentle, effective, the right ph level to efficiently exfoliate your skin, and targets large and congested pores. It's awesome! I will never be without it!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was experiencing some clogged pores and minor blackheads, but mostly congested pores resulting in a lot of bumps and texture, mainly on my forehead, so I knew my skin wasn't being exfoliated enough with the usual methods (manual and chemical). I've seen so many great reviews on this I had to hunt it down, which isn't easy in Canada but the Showcase "As Seen on TV" store carries it so off I went to grab a bottle.

True to the other reviews, this cleared my forehead up in just a few days. Skin is smooth in texture and the small blackheads I had around my nose are now rather insignificant. I have had a few cystic acne breakouts along the lower cheek and jawline but this is due to hormonal changes wreaking havoc with my life. The good news is, this "power liquid" is indeed powerful. When acne crops up, it is less severe and the duration is much shorter than when I'm not using this product. As a spot treatment, you can apply this 2-3 times a day and watch it disappear quickly.

Admittedly I was a little apprehensive to use this as salicylic acid has really dried out my skin in past (when it was oily), even more so now that my skin is dry. But, this does not irritate my skin or contribute to the dryness in the least. I do take care to ensure I wait 20-30 mins after applying before proceeding with my skin care routine, and I only use this at night. The key to success is in finding the optimal frequency for you. Initially I was using this every night for 5 days because my skin cleared up beautifully (100%) after 5 uses. Then I switched over to twice a week. This is good enough to maintain clear, smooth skin.

Bottom line, it was worth hunting down and I will keep using this.

on 9/4/2017 10:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I heard many good reviews about BHA but unfortunately this product does nothing for me. :( However my skin didn't react badly to it so I guess that was good? Smells bit funky though.

The packaging isn't very good as it realised that the bottle leaked when i had in my pouch even thought I capped it on well.

This is inexpensive, easy to use and actually works well. You can find it for about $20- $17 if you shop around. It is like a watery gel and one squirt goes a long way. It has no smell. I have sensitive skin and I can tolerate this fine. I use it about 2x a week and I find that the pores on my nose stay clear in between facials. I put it on, leave for about 30 minutes and then wash it off or I put it on at night and sleep with it.
The first time I used this, I had an allergic reation and it made my neck itchy for about a day. I tried using it again and never had that reaction again. now i use it regularly.
I would buy this again.

on 4/4/2017 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

One of my favourite chemical exfoliants. As someone with sensitive skin, I really appreciate COSRX's minimalism. Because of my eczema, I can't always use this product on my face (I can do it summer only), but it's fantastic for controlling my keratosis pilaris (arms and knees for me) and ingrown hairs (bikini area post shaving).

It pumps out as somewhat gel-like liquid. It can be used with a cotton pad or just with hands (easier with cotton). The main exfoliant is a gentler version of salicylic acid (salicylic betaine). The pH isn't too low (around 4). That means it won't be too vigorous in its exfoliating properties and can be used daily (for most skin). Obviously, if you're very sensitive or reactive (like me), you will have to skip days or even rinse it off. For "normal" skin, just leaving it on is fine. I would recommend leaving it on for a few minutes by itself before following with the rest of your routine. This maximises your skin's time in a low pH environment to let the acids do their work.

For reference, I've tried other beta hydroxy exfoliants. I found the Paula's Choice ones very drying. Even though they feel slick going on, I ended up with a lot of dry skin after a couple of uses. I even tried it when my skin was oilier. I can't imagine how drying they'd be now that my skin is combination and sometimes every dry. The Perricone MD Pre:empt Exfoliating Pore Refiner is very similar to this product and works just as well. However this is a much cheaper alternative (about a third of the price).

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Sorry to say I am returning this. As a very, very longtime BHA user, I was looking for a light, liquid BHA that would not irritate my skin (like the original Paula's Choice from 90's/early 00's, before all the added ingredients!). This made my skin feel very nice and smooth the morning after but also with red, irritated bumps that went away during the day. So - smooth skin around angry areas! Nope.Great packaging, fine feel and texture, ok price but not for me. I miss using BHA. But if this works for you it wouldn't be a bad choice hence the 3 rating. continued >>

on 6/27/2017 3:30:00 PM

I'm still fairly new to this product but have used it for a couple weeks fairly regularly.

I am trying it in different ways, sometimes applying a bit with a cotton pad and letting it dry and set for a half hour or an hour before splashing it off with water and going on with my regular makeup and moisturizer application. Sometimes I leave it on longer or I use it under makeup but I'm easing into it as I give my skin a chance to adjust. (I'd read about some people experiencing itchiness or other issues.) I'm not having any problem with this, however.

It's a clear, scentless liquid that feels slightly more watery than aloe vera gel. It feels a touch obvious upon first application but it soon dries and my skin doesn't feel coated. Or dry. Or itchy. Or goopy. Or any other bad/annoying description.

After about two weeks of use I am noticing the pores on my nose are a tiny bit smaller. (That's my trouble zone in terms of pores/blackheads, where if makeup isn't blended, the pores become quite obvious.) I'm going to keep at it and hope they continue to shrink, and I hope in time my skin starts to look a bit more even and smooth.

I also notice that it works well when a breakout is imminent. I had a bump on my cheek and could see it was turning into a pimple. I patted a bit of this on twice and the next morning the bump was flat.