COSRX BHA Blackhead Power Liquid

COSRX BHA Blackhead Power Liquid

3.9

Salix alba (willow) bark water, butylene glycol, betaine salicylate (4), niacinamide, 1,2-hexanediol, arginine, panthenol, sodium hyaluronate, xanthan gum, ethyl hexanediol. pH is 4. (Amount of niacinamide is 2 according to someone on Reddit who contacted Cosrx directly.)

on 8/9/2018 10:54:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine

Ok so I need to review this so others will be aware this can actually wreck havoc on skin! I started out with just a few small pimples in the chin area and wanted to prevent them from ever coming back by using this product regularely. I just got a full on breakout from this. The kind of breakout I had never experienced before. Huge red pimples came out on the second day and just multiplied on my chin and jawline till I quit using it about 3 weeks later. I know the concept of purging the skin that is why I kept at it to make sure. But it definatly can ruin your face for a long time. Other areas of my face were just as pimple free as before with no noticeable improvement in texture. Not worth taking the risk if you ask me.

on 7/11/2018 12:24:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I really wanted to like this, as a cheaper alternative to Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid and as a great fan of Asian beauty products. I read the reviews and truly thought this would be a great dupe.

Unfortunately for my wallet, after about 2 months of using this in place of the Paula's liquid, I have to admit I'm really not seeing the same results. I have very oily, blackhead prone Mediterranean skin that can take quite the exfoliator beating - and I simply do not find this strong enough for my purposes, even with daily use. I was blown away with the clarity and evenness of my skin after my first bottle of Paula's Choice BHA, which is why I sought out a cheaper BHA in CosRX. But over the last two months of using the CosRX I have gradually seen my skin condition slip back to clogged pores and uneven tone. I do like that this is quite moisturising, and you skin really does look quite plump and healthy after applying it. But no real improvement over the long term for me.

on 5/28/2018 8:04:00 PM

This is a nifty little product, it is similar to Asian lotion-type toners but with added active skin care ingredients. It is a clear, runny and slightly viscous liquid that absorbs quickly into skin and feels quite hydrating - it contains sodium hyaluronate so it gives a similar soft and plump feeling to other hydrating toners. Also in it is niacinamide, and betaine salicylate, which is less irritating than pure salicylic acid and active at a slightly higher pH range (~5-6).

I'm on my 3rd bottle at this point, with twice-daily usage it lasts a good 3 months or so as its 100mL size is quite generous. These days I alternate this with The Ordinary's salicylic acid when my skin is particularly rebellious, so it lasts me around 4-5 months now. Even so, this is the only BHA product I've been able to use regularly that is effective, but gentle enough for daily use. Previously I'd have to stop using BHA products due to irritation before they'd begin to show any improvement in my acne. After around 3 weeks is when I first noticed that it was reducing the amount and frequency of blackheads and pimples, and that my skin tone was starting to even out. Some of this will be down to the niacinamide though - so if you're sensitive to this ingredient, this may not work for you.

This product is just WOW.
I have never written any review for any product before, but this product is just too amazing.

Last time, I would have big pimples, like just 1 or 2, appearing on my cheeks, for 1 or 2 weeks, and new pimples would appear after old ones have gone. And also I have whiteheads all over my face.
But after using this product, it just gotten rid of all that, and prevented it from coming so often. Although occasionally there will be that one pimple popping out, but it's only because of my hormones, and it would disappear 3 days later using this product. And I also have lesser whiteheads than before. Which I loved it since whiteheads can become pimples for me. I hate having big ugly pimples on my face, hence this is really a plus point for me!!

Even though this is like advertised to target at blackheads, its more of a pimple controller for me. And also, although this is oily based, it doesn't break me out, which is perfect, cause i suppose the oil replaces the sebum in my face.

But there's a few cons, especially if you have sensitive skin, it's to rinse your face after 10-20 minutes to avoid irritation. I dont have so it's fine for me. Another thing is, you must wait 30minutes before applying other products. This product can be used as a toner, which is like the first step after cleansing. However sometimes i dont have time to wait, so i just apply this and that's it. Which leads to the next point, it can be drying. If you have dehydrated skin, make sure you apply moisturizer after that. I don't do that, and i wouldn't recommend not doing that especially if your skin is dehydrated already, but i would compensate it by applying next morning or using moisturizing sheet mask the next day. Even though they recommend it to use only 2-3 times a week, I use it almost everyday, and the good thing is that, it doesn't really dry me out that badly, supposingly there is also hydrating ingredients in it. Even so, I wouldn't recommend using it everyday, since this is a chemical exfloliator afterall. And also, this is best applied at night, but if you do in the morning, it's a must to apply sunscreen after to avoid sun damage, and then you have to wait 30minutes before applying sunscreen, which not a lot people have time to do that. Another bad thing to apply in the morning is because I have also mentioned this is oily based, it will make your skin look more shiny, which some people would want to avoid going out.

Overall, the pros still outweigh the cons. I would totally recommend this to anyone which have hormonal acne, or people who just wants to control their pores. Perfect for skin thats little to not dehydrated, combination skin and oily skin. Good for any ages.

on 4/7/2018 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is an effective, non-stinging BHA-product I use every night. It replaced a Lierac acid product I was using before, that contained alcohol, smelled bad and stung the skin quite bad. Apparently, you CAN have an effective BHA exfoliation product without unpleasant sensations on the skin! This one is made with betaine salicylate, which is more gentle but as effective as salisylic acid (4% betaine salicylate in this is equivalent of 2% salisylic acid). You only need a little, I personally use 5 drops on a cotton bad to cover both face and decollete/upper back. I'm sure many won't use even that much. It says in a package, you don't even have to use it every day, but since I'm oily skinned and used to acids and it feels so gentle, I started using it every day right away without a problem. Helps to keep my skin clear and soft. Great product and good value, since it lasts for months.

on 4/5/2018 10:19:00 AM

I bought this for my dd, but of course I wanted to try it. I have sensitive, rosacea skin, so I probably should have known I would react badly to this. I applied this to my forehead only & broke out or purged (who knows) into a rash of pimples. What a mess! Now my dd has not had the same reaction, so maybe if your skin is sensitive, be aware & cautious.

on 3/25/2018 5:24:00 AM

This is my first Korean skincare product and I am utterly amazed!
It minimized the appearance of my pores in just a week and it has prevented any breakouts ever since! It did the job that my prescription treatment took months to accomplish. Also my skin appears more even and radiant, while the first few days it helped me battle with the inflammation of a nasty break out from another product. Now every morning I wake up to find the improvement in my skin!
The first time I used it, I thought it was a skam, since it had no odour, no tingling sensation and no sign of irritation. But the results were pretty obvious the next day! Either my skin is pretty tolerant or this product is extremely gentle. Although I have to admit that the first days I overdid it a little bit and had some minor dryness, now with use just ones daily, I am quite satisfied.
I use it once a day, applying 3 pumps of product with dubbing motions. I usually leave it on for 20 minutes and then continue with the rest of my routine. If it is combined with a clay mask afterwards it has even greater effects.
Just be cautious in the beginning, because at the end of the day it's still an acid. Start using it sparsely and slowly bind it up in your routine. Also be a little patient, since it is bound to cause irritation in the beginning. And lastly don't overdo it with use of other exfoliating regimes in the same routine.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I have combination skin that tends to be a bit dehydrated. I have large pores and acne prone skin. my skin hates this product. every time I use this I always get big zits on my face, my pores also appears larger and my blackheads are still there. My skin did not react well to this product. And I have no time for a purging process. My skin does better with more balancing products.

on 2/2/2018 11:58:00 AM

Black and whiteheads are my greatest enemies in life. That's why other than this, I'm also using the whitehead power liquid and aha/bha clarifying toner. Well, even when three of them are used together, I don't see much difference. I mean I don't expect them to work miracle by removing my existing white and blackheads. I do remove them with professional help, then use the trio religiously (once every two days or everyday). But the last time I checked, I still had to remove my blackheads and whiteheads through other means once every few days.

on 1/28/2018 1:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

46 years old, perimenopausal skin that leans combination in winter but is very oily in summer, and is still quite acne prone.

Had finally gotten my troublesome skin under control after fighting with it since puberty. Blackheads were gone, no big zits, clear skin. Enter the hormonal crazies of my mid-40s. Yeah, this sucks.

I've started the Korean 10 step skincare thing. Double-cleanse with Clean It Zero balm and Cerave, use my Clarisonic 2-3 times a week for exfoliation, tone with witch hazel (although I'm not sold on that), apply this product, then rosehip oil. Still looking for an essence and an AHA product to add in to my routine.

This is an unscented, slippery, clear, slightly viscous liquid. It comes in a plastic bottle that resembles glass with a pump. I use one pump for my whole face and apply with my fingers. Easy to spread, a bit sticky after application but sinks in quickly. Not greasy.

This seems to help keep my blackheads clear, and the niacinimde reduces redness from breakouts. I still have under the skin bumps but I'm hoping the addition of a glycolic acid product in my skincare routine will address that.

The Paula's Choice Resist 2% BHA liquid was my HG. But she charges $33 for about 4 oz - too rich for my blood! This was around $18-20, so it was more reasonable.

I did experience some irritation and possible light purging at first, since it took my skin time to acclimate from 2% BHA to 4%. I use this every night now with no problems. I'm curious to try it in the morning too, but afraid it may be too much. After 5 weeks I've hardly made a difference in the amount of product in the bottle, so this should last a good long time.

Good stuff. I believe I will repurchase.