COSRX BHA Blackhead Power Liquid

COSRX BHA Blackhead Power Liquid

3.9

Salix alba (willow) bark water, butylene glycol, betaine salicylate (4), niacinamide, 1,2-hexanediol, arginine, panthenol, sodium hyaluronate, xanthan gum, ethyl hexanediol. pH is 4. (Amount of niacinamide is 2 according to someone on Reddit who contacted Cosrx directly.)

on 12/12/2018 4:44:00 AM

I was using it for a few months straight only on my nose as that's where I have some blackheads but I didn't notice any difference.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

It took me a long time to understand this product. I use it 2x daily. First I pat it on my entire face with a gauze pad and then I hold the pad on treatment areas for 30 seconds each. I consider treatment areas any breakouts and my perpetually blackhead covered/sebaceous filament-ed nose. I found that this worked well, with the exception of my nose. But things changed when I learned to wait 5-10 after using this before applying another product. That made a huge difference in the strength and effectiveness of this product. I used to think this was too weak for me, after waiting I sometimes notice it is too strong. So I vary how long I wait before applying my next step by how tight my skin is feeling.

I think the price and availability of this is wonderful. I love, love, LOVE that it is not sticky and leaves no residue whatsoever. I like the packaging but find it hard to travel with, which is hard because I travel a few times a week for work. The cap tends to untwist for some reason. I've had it spill in my suitcase before due to this. I find it travels best if you save the cardboard box and keep it in the box for traveling. This is helpful even when the box is pretty worn and not sturdy.

I would maybe buy this again but I want to try Paula's Choice BHA after hearing lots about it. I like that this product isn't too drying. I think it works well for acne treatment. No opinions about prevention of acne. It helps a little with blackheads/SF but I have to be super consistent, they come back right away if I'm not really on top of using this. Also it only removed/decreased the ones on the top of my nose, not the sides.

on 10/23/2018 10:16:00 AM

This product is a great alternative to PC BHA. I used a couple of the other formulations with PC and always found them to be a bit drying. I do not have that problem with this product at all. It is also a 4% concentration. No sting but is certainly effective. I def notice a difference if I stop this product for a while. I also like their AHA product. Great value for your money.

on 9/29/2018 3:32:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I've struggled with oily skin, clogged pores and breakouts for decades. I've never found a BHA product that did anything for me. This liquid plus The Ordinary's retinoid products keep my skin as clear as it has ever been in my life. I apply two pumps' worth to my face immediately after washing with a low-pH wash every morning. It's lightweight, scentless, and within three minutes has sunk in with no residue. Skin is smoother, less oily, and blotchy redness has significantly reduced. Even taking into account that I have to source this through the internet, it's a bargain for a quality product.

on 8/9/2018 10:54:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine

Ok so I need to review this so others will be aware this can actually wreck havoc on skin! I started out with just a few small pimples in the chin area and wanted to prevent them from ever coming back by using this product regularely. I just got a full on breakout from this. The kind of breakout I had never experienced before. Huge red pimples came out on the second day and just multiplied on my chin and jawline till I quit using it about 3 weeks later. I know the concept of purging the skin that is why I kept at it to make sure. But it definatly can ruin your face for a long time. Other areas of my face were just as pimple free as before with no noticeable improvement in texture. Not worth taking the risk if you ask me.

on 7/11/2018 12:24:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I really wanted to like this, as a cheaper alternative to Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid and as a great fan of Asian beauty products. I read the reviews and truly thought this would be a great dupe.

Unfortunately for my wallet, after about 2 months of using this in place of the Paula's liquid, I have to admit I'm really not seeing the same results. I have very oily, blackhead prone Mediterranean skin that can take quite the exfoliator beating - and I simply do not find this strong enough for my purposes, even with daily use. I was blown away with the clarity and evenness of my skin after my first bottle of Paula's Choice BHA, which is why I sought out a cheaper BHA in CosRX. But over the last two months of using the CosRX I have gradually seen my skin condition slip back to clogged pores and uneven tone. I do like that this is quite moisturising, and you skin really does look quite plump and healthy after applying it. But no real improvement over the long term for me.

on 5/28/2018 8:04:00 PM

This is a nifty little product, it is similar to Asian lotion-type toners but with added active skin care ingredients. It is a clear, runny and slightly viscous liquid that absorbs quickly into skin and feels quite hydrating - it contains sodium hyaluronate so it gives a similar soft and plump feeling to other hydrating toners. Also in it is niacinamide, and betaine salicylate, which is less irritating than pure salicylic acid and active at a slightly higher pH range (~5-6).

I'm on my 3rd bottle at this point, with twice-daily usage it lasts a good 3 months or so as its 100mL size is quite generous. These days I alternate this with The Ordinary's salicylic acid when my skin is particularly rebellious, so it lasts me around 4-5 months now. Even so, this is the only BHA product I've been able to use regularly that is effective, but gentle enough for daily use. Previously I'd have to stop using BHA products due to irritation before they'd begin to show any improvement in my acne. After around 3 weeks is when I first noticed that it was reducing the amount and frequency of blackheads and pimples, and that my skin tone was starting to even out. Some of this will be down to the niacinamide though - so if you're sensitive to this ingredient, this may not work for you.

This product is just WOW.
I have never written any review for any product before, but this product is just too amazing.

Last time, I would have big pimples, like just 1 or 2, appearing on my cheeks, for 1 or 2 weeks, and new pimples would appear after old ones have gone. And also I have whiteheads all over my face.
But after using this product, it just gotten rid of all that, and prevented it from coming so often. Although occasionally there will be that one pimple popping out, but it's only because of my hormones, and it would disappear 3 days later using this product. And I also have lesser whiteheads than before. Which I loved it since whiteheads can become pimples for me. I hate having big ugly pimples on my face, hence this is really a plus point for me!!

Even though this is like advertised to target at blackheads, its more of a pimple controller for me. And also, although this is oily based, it doesn't break me out, which is perfect, cause i suppose the oil replaces the sebum in my face.

But there's a few cons, especially if you have sensitive skin, it's to rinse your face after 10-20 minutes to avoid irritation. I dont have so it's fine for me. Another thing is, you must wait 30minutes before applying other products. This product can be used as a toner, which is like the first step after cleansing. However sometimes i dont have time to wait, so i just apply this and that's it. Which leads to the next point, it can be drying. If you have dehydrated skin, make sure you apply moisturizer after that. I don't do that, and i wouldn't recommend not doing that especially if your skin is dehydrated already, but i would compensate it by applying next morning or using moisturizing sheet mask the next day. Even though they recommend it to use only 2-3 times a week, I use it almost everyday, and the good thing is that, it doesn't really dry me out that badly, supposingly there is also hydrating ingredients in it. Even so, I wouldn't recommend using it everyday, since this is a chemical exfloliator afterall. And also, this is best applied at night, but if you do in the morning, it's a must to apply sunscreen after to avoid sun damage, and then you have to wait 30minutes before applying sunscreen, which not a lot people have time to do that. Another bad thing to apply in the morning is because I have also mentioned this is oily based, it will make your skin look more shiny, which some people would want to avoid going out.

Overall, the pros still outweigh the cons. I would totally recommend this to anyone which have hormonal acne, or people who just wants to control their pores. Perfect for skin thats little to not dehydrated, combination skin and oily skin. Good for any ages.

on 4/7/2018 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is an effective, non-stinging BHA-product I use every night. It replaced a Lierac acid product I was using before, that contained alcohol, smelled bad and stung the skin quite bad. Apparently, you CAN have an effective BHA exfoliation product without unpleasant sensations on the skin! This one is made with betaine salicylate, which is more gentle but as effective as salisylic acid (4% betaine salicylate in this is equivalent of 2% salisylic acid). You only need a little, I personally use 5 drops on a cotton bad to cover both face and decollete/upper back. I'm sure many won't use even that much. It says in a package, you don't even have to use it every day, but since I'm oily skinned and used to acids and it feels so gentle, I started using it every day right away without a problem. Helps to keep my skin clear and soft. Great product and good value, since it lasts for months.

on 4/5/2018 10:19:00 AM

I bought this for my dd, but of course I wanted to try it. I have sensitive, rosacea skin, so I probably should have known I would react badly to this. I applied this to my forehead only & broke out or purged (who knows) into a rash of pimples. What a mess! Now my dd has not had the same reaction, so maybe if your skin is sensitive, be aware & cautious.