Neutrogena Ultra Light Cleansing Oil

Neutrogena Ultra Light Cleansing Oil
Ultra Light Cleansing Oil

3.8

Mineral Oil, Isopropyl Isostearate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Polysorbate 80, PEG-8 Caprylic / Capric Glycerides, Sorbitan Trioleate, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Caprylic / Capric Triglyceride, Water, PEG-6 Caprylic / Capric Glycerides, PPG-10 Cetyl Ether, Benzyl Alcohol, Fragrance, Propylparaben, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract.

on 10/10/2018 6:12:00 PM

Well, surprisingly enough this has replaced my HG Clinique TTDO Balm and Oil! I was running out of the Clinique Oil and wanted to look into purchasing a cleansing oil that performed similarly but without the outrageous price tag (almost 40 CAD nowadays!). So I kept seeing it at Marshalls for $6.99 and figured why not give it a try, it was cheap enough if I hated it.

But I don't hate it at all. It performs similarly with the Clinique Oil, meaning you spread it on dry face, rub it into the skin in circular motions then rinse with water, and it turns into a milky substance that rinses clean. I still follow with my regular cleanser (African Black Soap), so I don't know how it would be on its own. It removes everything that needs removed, except for the eyes - I haven't tried it for eye makeup removal, I use Garnier Micellar water for that.

My face feels exactly as it does after cleansing with TTDO Oil, I haven't had any bad reactions or breakouts or dryness, nothing out of norm.

I don't mind the faint apple scent.

I did get an accidental taste of it once and I can tell you it's bitter, but since normally it's not something you put into your mouth, it doesn't matter lol.

I already bought a backup at $6.99, I wonder if it's been or being phased out?

EDIT 11/13/2018 - unfortunately, it turns out I have an allergy to it, as a few weeks in, I started experiencing red, itchy bumps on my cheeks. I stopped using this oil and the allergy subsided the following day. I am so disappointed, the search for a Clinique replacement has to continue. Taking 2 stars off my original rating.

on 8/12/2018 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is the first cleansing oil I've tried and I'm underwhelmed by it. It doesn't fully remove my mascara (which my micellar water does), and it burns my eyes when I rinse it with the water. I also really dislike the smell it has of artificial fruit. I won't be repurchasing this, I'll be trying a different brand once I finish off this one.

on 7/6/2018 8:22:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have been using this Neutrogena Ultra Light Cleansing Oil for about 6 months now and I absolutely love this product. It works great for removing makeup and rinses clean with no oily residue. It also doesn’t aggravate my extremely sensitive eyes and skin. There may be better products available, at a higher price, but I am completely satisfied with what I am using now.

on 4/2/2018 3:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I pretty much never write reviews after only using a product one time, but this stuff blew my mind. I used to love Neutrogena's lotion makeup remover, but now it burns my eyes and face, and I've been looking for an oil cleanser for a few months anyway. I grabbed this kind of spontaneously when I saw it a couple nights ago, and I remembered hearing that it was pretty good from someone with similar skin issues (I have sensitive, fair, mostly normal but breakout prone skin).

Unless this suddenly starts causing issues later, I think this might be a new HG product for me. It removed my makeup better than my regular cleanser (I've been using the Garnier gentle sulfate-free one for a few months and like it a lot), better than Clinique's TTDO balm, my diy oil removal methods (I've tried olive, coconut, almond, argan, and I think one other I'm forgetting, sometimes alone, sometimes mixed), micellar waters, and basically every other cleanser/makeup remover I've ever used. It seriously impressed me. I took a cotton pad with witch hazel all over my face after using this, because there's usually at least a tiny bit of residue that I missed or that my cleanser didn't get off, but the pad came away still white after using this cleanser. I don't think I've ever had that experience before, so a big thumbs up for this cleanser.

I love how light this felt, and how easily it came off when I rinsed my face. I never felt any tugging on my skin while I was rubbing this in, it didn't irritate my eyes at all, and my skin looked and felt better after rinsing than it has in quite a while. I have a small breakout I'm dealing with right now, and sometimes products with oil can cause a second flare up, but so far, so good.

When I was using it for my eye makeup, I did lose a couple of lashes, but I don't think it had anything to do with this product. I was just half asleep and rushing to get my makeup off so I could go to bed, and I used a bit more force than I should have around my eyes (and I didn't let it sit on my lashes long enough to start breaking down the mascara like I usually do).

This has a tiny bit of a scent, but it's not strong and hasn't irritated my skin yet. Usually if a product is going to cause irritation, it does it the first time I use it, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't randomly cause irritation with later uses.

The only con I can think of right now is the price, which isn't really that bad, and I don't mind paying a bit more for skincare products that work for me. I can't remember exactly how much this was, but it was a little under $10 I think. The bottle is small-ish (4oz of product) and I didn't know how much it would take to clean my whole face. Now that I've used it, I think a single pump will probably work most of the time, so it should last a while longer than I originally thought it might.

Pros:
-Gentle
-No strong fragrance
-Removed all of my makeup
-Rinsed away easily
-Didn't clog my pores and cause a breakout
-Will probably last a while
-Easy to find at drugstores, Ulta, etc.
-Didn't make my face feel tight/stripped of moisture (my skin felt SO soft after using this, it was unreal)
-More effective than any other oil product I've ever used, as well as other makeup removers

Cons:
-Definitely needs to sit on lashes for a couple of minutes before wiping away mascara
-Fragrance was probably unnecessary (but it wasn't very strong and didn't irritate my skin)

If I develop any issues later, I'll come back and update this review, but for now, I'm in love with this stuff. I don't know how well it would work for waterproof mascaras, though, because I don't use them (they dry out my lashes too much and make them fall out, ugh).

on 3/9/2018 10:15:00 AM

Overall, I think this cleansing oil is pretty good but I don't think I would purchase it again. I'm not a fan of the scent, over time I feel like I got more accustomed to it though. It gets rid of my makeup well but I feel like I've tried better cleansing oils. It's more watery than I would of expected but I do like that about it. I think it helps spread out the product more so I don't have to use as much. It's worth trying but bare in mind that it has have a noticeable scent so if scent is not a strong factor for you I think its worth trying out.

on 2/24/2018 2:21:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I bought this after using Banila Clean It Zero Purity cleansing balm, which I loooove but is expensive.

I hate the smell of this product, it reminds me of cough syrup. I also find that my skin feels tight after I use it. It could also be cheaper, considering that it’s mostly mineral oil. Overall, don’t like the smell, don’t like the feel, don’t like the way my skin feels afterwards, but it does get my makeup off (though not amazing with mascara, still prefer their biphase eye makeup remover). It stings my eyes. I was already breaking out when I started using it, so I don’t know that it can be attributed to this.

Clearly it works for a lot of people, but I won’t be repurchasing. I’d return mine if I hadn’t lost the receipt.

6 MONTH UPDATE: I’ve used more than half of the bottle and it has lasted a surprisingly long time. I still don’t like it.

I ordered this online because I thought this would be a nice change from the makeup remover wipe routine that I have been using forever and I thought it would be easier and more friendly on my eyes while removing my eye makeup as I am not getting any younger. I refuse to say I am aging. Anyhow, I squirted some into my palms and rubbed it together and massaged it over my face. It felt very light (as claimed) and rinsed cleanly with no residue. It smelled slightly like apples, which I found pleasant. What I did not find pleasant was the breakout that followed. Ugh. This was the only change in my routine so I knew it had to be this. I checked the ingredients. NEUTROGENA I AM SURPRISED AT YOU! MINERAL OIL! And it's not just that this product contains mineral oil. I know that many products contain this ingredient. What surprised me is that this is the first ingredient on the list. With so many other better for you oils on the market now, I can only assume that mineral oil is still being used because it is cheaper. And this makes me both sad and angry. So lesson learned, Neutrogena. I will now be thoroughly reading your labels before purchasing your products. Sad panda.

on 6/21/2017 10:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have used pure oils such as coconut, grapeseed and such to remove makeup, but wanted something that would emulsify as well, so I tried this.

Now this is one of my nightly skincare essentials, and I'm disappointed that I can no longer find it in ulta, walmart or target. The alternatives are ineffective and pricey...overall it seems that cleansing oils are a waning trend so I'll have to start looking into k-beauty for a replacement.

Why I like this: using just one pump with dry hands and skin and really rubbing it in for a good 20 seconds dislodged all the makeup off my face without the waste, pulling and wiping associated with makeup wipes and micellar water + cotton. After rubbing I finally just rinse with cool water and am left with a clean face ready for a step 2 cleanser. When I'm extremity tired I skip the step 2 and this alone lets me go to bed quickly without waking up to a dirty pillow or breakouts. I wear pretty heavy eye makeup some days and I've never had a problem removing it all, as long as i don't try to wet my hands or face first. That's the key to cleansing oils, I've found.

on 4/18/2017 9:58:00 PM

I'm not a huge fan of oils for the face in general, but I bought this on a whim and I find it surprisingly good.

Pros:
--One tiny pump of this gets off virtually all of my makeup. Sometimes, with waterproof mascara, I have a bit of residue leftover. All other makeup just melts away.
--It's light, it doesn't clog pores, it doesn't leave a film. (I do normally use a micellar water after this, but that's more for personal preference. It's not really needed.)
--For dry skin, or winter use, this would be ideal as it leaves skin feeling nicely moisturized.

Cons:
--The fragrance while it's on your skin is pretty strong. Not unpleasantly so to my mind, but I know some people dislike that.

on 1/29/2017 12:44:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Okay, this product is heavily scented, expensive for how little you get, and made with mineral oil, which may bother a lot of people. I love it despite all that.

I keep finding it on sale, so I keep buying it, and it just works so nicely for me. It removes my makeup in one go, including my waterproof mascara, rinses clean, leaves my combination skin soft but not oily, and helps break down the clogged pores and blackheads on my cheeks. Also, the fragrance kind of smells like gummy worms, so I don't hate it.

I hope the fact that I keep finding it on sale doesn't mean it's not long for this world.