Giorgio Beverly Hills Red

Giorgio Beverly Hills Red

3.6

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I loved this when it first came out, about 25 years ago, and I still love it even though it has gone through some reformulation. It is still lovely. I do tend to stay with older fragrances, I guess I just have not found any of the newer fragrances that go well with my chemistry. And too, I just like to stay with what feels like "me". I only use two fragrances-- I love this (mostly for evenings) and the original Liz Claiborne signature (mostly for daytime) in the triangle bottle.
Red is a beautiful floral, with a nice, soft powder note and a bit of a fruit note which reminds me of cherry blossoms. It does have a bit of spice, but just barely, and a hint of sexy musk. I do get compliments when I wear this. I have never felt that it had what people call the "old lady" scent, definitely don't get that. I use only one or two sprays at the most, but I do not find it to be too strong, or as powerful as many other fragrances, like Estee Lauder's fragrances- I just cannot handle any of them. They work for many people, but none of them are for me; and I can wear this, but many people can't. Fragrance is just such a personal thing, so it is a matter of finding what is right for you, what you feel good wearing.
I have found individual bottles this at TJ Maxx for $12-20 and Kohl's had the gift set, as well as Walmart.com. The set came with a lotion, which smells just as good as the spray, and also it has a mini. Last year I got a set for around $25. I will wear this as long as I can buy it, which I hope will be a very long time.

on 3/27/2015 10:00:00 PM

I'm sorry but on me this is one of the worst fragrances in the world - loud, screechy and headache inducing., It never softens or warms up. On paper, the notes are very similar to other fragrances I really like, but it just doesn't gel with my chemistry.

On the right person it's fantastic, and for those people, the good news is it lasts all day and into the night. In fact scrubbing this off is next to imposssible.

Whatever you do, don't overspray it, and be careful if you wear it to the office. It can be overpowering to some people around you.

All the Giorgio of Beverly Hills fragrances arer a miss on me.

on 3/7/2013 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I had smelled this years ago and after seeing a big 3 oz bottle on amazon.com for 25 bucks, I figured I'd give it a go. I really love it!! It's spicy, sutlry, and sophisticated. The bottle I got is a spray mist which I really like for this is a strong fragrance. If you like whimpy, fruity scents, you may not like this. I find myself reaching for it almost everyday for it has alot of personality unlike most of the newer scents. A classic from the 80's!!

on 7/8/2013 1:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Love at first sniff I knew from the notes I would love it. This has the peppery spicy richness of Diors Farenheit and a lovely warm dryly sweet powdery base. Very strong though and is known to make people around me sneeze. So wear with caution!

I was feeling nostalgic. I wore "Red" 20+ years ago, when I was in college or grad school. I spotted a sale on "Red" this week in the Walgreens circular. 19.99 for a bottle. I picked up a bottle, wanting to walk down memory. I guess my olfactory nerve has evolved in the years since I wore this fragrance. It's dated, heavy. It's got that powdery, Grandma's perfume note to it, along with spice. Not a winning combo. If you are looking for a pretty fall scent, I recommend YSL Cinema. "Red' isn't awful. But with newer options out there, I say don't bother.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Loved it then, love it now. One spray lasts forever... another one that men drool when you wear it.

on 10/3/2011 9:56:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

A classic beauty that is nice for fall and winter. I got the small 10 ml bottle the other day at Walmart. This doesn't seem to be strong in a bad way and sort of whispers a pleasing and warm lingering impression.

on 1/14/2012 12:22:00 PM

This is by far one of my favorite fragrances, I love Tabu ( the cheapest thrill), Spellbound, White Diamonds, and Knowing. I remember receiving this bottle for the first time in the early 90's and I have been wearing it every since. IMO it has a really long lasting power and it is strongly scented. It has always worn well with my body chemistry. Just for a reference - I like musty, oriental spices with a light undertone of floral fragrances.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I love this fragrance. I used to wear it when I was younger, and before that I wore "A Little Sexy" which is a knock off. Good stuff, tons of compliments. Must work with my chemistry.

Your mileage may vary-- that explains the 71% repurchase rating on this one-- but for me, it is the most barftacular Super Scrubber ever. More so than Youth-Dew. I just cannot stomach this deep, ponderous '80s brew of sandalwood and heavy tropical flowers.
It may be classified as a chypre, but I don't get many of the notes I normally enjoy in chypres, like oakmoss and patchouli. I do get a loooot of sandalwood and indolic jasmine, two notes I dislike. There is also a sour aspect to Red, rather like (sorry to say) a washroom after someone's been ill. I suspect this is a side effect of the fragrance trying to hit too many notes and winding up in confusion. I find this scent nauseating, claustrophobic, dark, dated. But again-- ymmv. I know women who've worn it very well.

Popular Fragrances