B3 Brazilian Bond Builder

No Image

2.5

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ok, I am a habitual user of Olaplex. I use it AT LEAST every week, and it helps keep my super long, bleached hair in decent condition. I LOVE OLAPLEX. I also love researching the science behind hair and beauty care. This product (along with many other imitators) has tried to market itself as a competitor to Olaplex. As Albino stated below, it's 100% NOT A REPLACEMENT for what Olaplex does. The molecule used in Olaplex (Bis-Aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate) is patented, and actually helps to repair disulfide bonds damaged by heat stress, chemicals, etc.

HOWEVER. I believe the "magic" ingredient claimed by B3 is "Crodabond CSA", which is hydrogenated castor oil/sebacic acid copolymer, produced from (duh) hydrogenated castor oil and sebacic acid. This ingredient is available in other hair products/brands as well, including some by Joico, Living Proof, and Playa. It can be used in leave-in and rinse-off formulas. What it does is help fill in and seal down the cuticle of damaged hair, making it shinier and healthier looking. It's not a permanent solution, and it is NOT repairing the broken disulfide bonds as Olaplex does. Nor would I count on it to mitigate damage during coloring/bleaching. It does last through multiple shampooings, and I've found it to be a useful ingredient in preventing my hair from feeling like straw, as it both smooths and helps provide some heat protection. Think of it as a more conditioning alternative to silicone--it's helping to fill in and improve the lipid layer damaged by heat/chemicals.

I think this COULD have a place in a haircare routine, as long as there is an understanding of its limitations, and reasonable expectations are kept in mind. I've tried a few products containing Crodabond, but recently tried B3. I did not use it as intended, however--I added a few drops to my leave-in conditioner and hair oil. It helped make my hair feel smooth and moisturized, with a healthy, non-frizzy texture. If you want to try B3, I'd try it as a standalone treatment, or just mix some with another product and use as a leave-in. I'll either continue using B3 AFTER Olaplex/deep conditioning, or just switch to leave-ins that already contain Crodabond.

B3 ingredients:
Dimethyl Isosorbide, PPG 3 Benzyl Ether Myristate, Hydrogenated Castor Oil / Sebacic Acid Copolymer, Benzyl Alcohol, Argania Spinosa (Argan) kernel oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Rosa Canina Fruit Extract, Tilia Europaea Flower Extract, Symphytum Officinale Leaf Extract, Equisetum Arvense Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Benzyl Cinnamate, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Hydroxyisohexyl 3 Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, Fragrance (Parfum).

on 8/10/2015 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I'm going to write this review despite it's potential to ruffle a few feathers. And if any negativity arises from this, shilling reviews follow, ect... I'll be outing the posters as I believe they work for B3. I have over 100 reviews in my profile... obviously I'm not working for anyone. My Olaplex review is also unbiased.

B3 Brazilian Bond Builder is nothing more than an Olaplex wannabe. Let's face it, this isn't even a knock off. B3 B.B.B hit the market right after Olaplex....uses the same claims...and yet lacks similar ingredients. What's even funnier is after looking around a bit, I found a lot of blatant SHILLING by B3 telling people not to buy Olaplex and that B3 "saved their hair". The dishonestly is shameful given how expensive this product is. Not only are customers paying $$$ for a low quality product, they're also risking the health of their hair.

I was one of the deceived customers. At the time, Olaplex had just hit the market and was still getting their patent in place so I couldn't get my hands on the ingredient list. I bought B3 Brazilian Bond Builder instead *because* of the identical claims. I simply did not know any better. I blindly trusted that it used the same technology and science. Nope.

Today... it is a different story. I now know the active ingredient in Olaplex is bis-aminopropyl diglycol dimaleate. THAT is the magic compound, enabling Olaplex to both undo and prevent damage. B3 BBB not only lacks this ingredient, but is full of mineral oil as one of the main ingredients. That's right... I got sucked into buying very expensive mineral oil. I hope someone sues B3 for false advertising.

I wish I bought Olaplex the first time around but I was scared to pay even more for a product with such high claims. I'm *not* claiming that Olaplex is a miracle product. Only that it lives up to it's hype.