Paula's Choice Paula's Choice Skincare Sun Care Broad-Spectrum SPF 43 Sunscreen Spray All Skin Types

2.5

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredients: Avobenzone 3.0, Homosalate 8, Octisalate 5.0, Octocrylene 2.5, Oxybenzone 5.0; Inactive Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone slip agent), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (emollient/emulsifier), Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate (emollient), VP/Hexadecane Copolymer (film-forming/water-resistant agent), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant),Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Phenyl Trimethicone (silicone skin conditioning agent), Panthenyl Triacetate (skin conditioning agent).

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

INTRO: I recently got a full-sized bottle of this SPF in a beauty subscription box and decided to give it a try today. I applied it at 9:00 AM and had to remove it by 2:15 PM because I couldn't stand the irritation any longer. I had a full-blown allergic reaction to this stuff: watery, blurry, burning & itching eyes; nasal dripping and sneezing followed by a stuffy nose; red & itchy skin, etc. The burning of my eyes started immediately after application but the other symptoms didn't occur until later in the day. Obviously I can't use this sunscreen but other people may be able to if they don't find themselves allergic to it. The following is how I would have reviewed this product had I not had such a bad reaction to it.

At $25 for 3.8 ounces, this is kind of expensive for a sunscreen product. However, when it comes to skincare, I'd rather spend more for something I know will actually work. I've been searching for years for the perfect facial sunscreen. I need one that doesn't leave my skin with a white cast, feeling greasy, or make me break out. This is a chemical-based broad-spectrum sunscreen (Avobenzone, etc.). It has an SPF 43 -- which is excellent -- and it does go on clear. No white cast at all.

The spray nozzle is not the best. It tends to squirt out in a thick stream rather than as a fine mist. Because of this, I ended up spraying it into my hand and rubbing it onto my face to ensure complete coverage. While not the end of the world, having to apply it with my hands was an inconvenience for me. The main reason I love spray SPF products is because I don't like having to touch the actual product... it's much easier for me to just spray & go. However, that is not a huge deal, just a minor annoyance.

When I first sprayed it on my face I noticed how incredibly greasy it felt on my skin. It seemed like I was rubbing pure oil all over my already oily skin! It claims to be fast drying so I let it sit on my face for 20 minutes before going outside. Unfortunately, it did not dry down at all for me -- it looked and felt super greasy the entire time it was on my face. It is hot and humid here in my area, so that could be the reason why it never did dry down. People in cooler, less humid climates may have better luck but it just doesn't mesh well in the climate where I live. I gave it 2 stars because this could work on drier, less sensitive skin types.

on 7/14/2015 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

First the claims: This claims to be a sunscreen for all skin types witch is true in a way. it also claims to dry quickly which is true and, It is a broad spectrum ss.This is somewhat easier to apply since it is a spray. It goes on oily but settles to a dry touch finish, but in humid weather this is not true.
The formula was a little disappointing ,hence, the 4 stars. There are antioxidants vitamin C and E , but they are toward the bottom and the main moisturizing ingredient is silicone.
There is a YouTube video on ' Paula's choice ' channel and they do not recommend spraying it on. This is good advice :besides the fact that it can get in the eyes, the formula can go on oily yet when you blend it is when it really comes to a truly ravishing finish.

UPDATE: I do not recommend getting it in the eyes. Which is a shame as the eyes need sun protection, and this is a relatively gentle option. Yet whenever, I attempt to put it in my eyes they tear up and my vision gets blurry. This doesn't go away easily either.. I usually have to rub my eyes w/ a small towel before I can completely feel better.
It's also a nightmare trying to get any powdered eyeshadow to stay, or liquid eyeliners not to streak.
This is fine if you want to use it as a face or body ss, and it's even better if you have dry skin, but don't put it anywhere near your eyes.
Ugh.