MAC Cosmetics Matte - Tropic Tonic

No Image

4.4

Perfect bright-yet muted coral shade. It's bright and fresh but not in an obnoxious way. On me it reads a sort of pinky watermelon shade. I love the formula of this-matte but creamy, and the scent is so delicious. I can't wait till it gets warmer to wear this more!

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

No matter how I work this lipstick....make it work...it does the same exact thing time after time. Goes right into my lip lines aging me beyond my 40 years. It doesn't lack in pigmentation but it does fade after a few hours and the formula is a bit drying which is weird considering I have other Matte shades from MAC and they don't feel uncomfortable on my lips. While this one can be a uncomfortable after an hour of wear. I love the color overall but I just don't enjoy the formula on this one.

Wow, that saturated colour is a must for coral lipstick fans. TT has a matte finish and its bright color gets attention, that's for sure. I visited my dad today and one of the first things he said was: "Your lipstick looks really bright." He added that he liked it. I love such shades. If you're looking for a beautiful coral matte shade, then please, don't think about it and grab this. One more thing: Unfortunately, it starts looking patchy after a few hours (I used NYX lip primer before application). So watch out for a mirror by your side.

on 1/12/2016 8:59:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

It's Vegas Volt in matte! Almost...
I love coral lipsticks and Vegas Volt has always been my favourite up until now but the only downside to it is that it's not matte - well Tropic Tonic is just about the same shade but it's a lovely creamy matte. It's easy to apply, it doesn't drag and feel dry like many mattes do, and it has amazing staying power. It easily stays on from 7am until Noon, seeing me through a few coffees and lunch by which time there's still a faint stain and it hasn't disappeared entirely.
I would say it has more of a pinky-red tone than Vegas Volt but compare the two side by side and there is only a very, very slight difference and it's one of those shades which I think would suit people with all skin tones.
My new favourite lipstick!!

Easily one of the prettiest corals I've ever bought (and I've tried a lot of them). Most coral lipsticks tend to have a satin or glossy finish, so finding this kind of shade in a matte formula that also isn't a liquid lipstick is really satisfying.

Obviously MAC lipsticks are some of the best quality you can buy, and this is no exception. Especially when it comes to their matte formula, which is my absolute favorite. Tropic Tonic goes on 100% fully pigmented, and wears for a very long time before it starts to feel drying (I'd say it stays feeling creamy until around the 4 or 5 hour mark, but it only becomes uncomfortable after 7+ hours). I love that this coral has a slightly pinky-peach undertone, and I would agree that it is a dupe of Vegas Volt, *but* the latter has a bit more of a neon orange tinge to it that Tropic Tonic doesn't. If you look at it very closely at it in the tube, you may even notice Tropic Tonic has the sliiiightest reddish undertone to it, which helps nullify that neon quality so many other corals have.

If you find that the ever-so-slight white base in this lipstick is too intense for you, I recommend pairing it with a caramel lipliner to get a perfectly toned-down tawny coral. It even looks really cool layered over darker and spicier brown lipliners. If you've been looking for a flattering, versatile coral lipstick, this is definitely your best bet.