Yves Saint Laurent Body Kouros

4.5

Body Kouros is nothing like the original Kouros, so if you've been avoiding Body Kouros because you thought they'd be similar, relax. This an interesting, easy to wear, definitely unisex smoky oriental.

It starts off with a bit of eucalyptus and clary sage before quickly drying down to a woody incense fragrance dominated by benzoin. The eucalyptus fades very quickly, but the clary sage remains throughout the life of the fragrance. According to Fragrantica, top notes are eucalyptus and incense; middle notes are Chinese cedar and clary sage; base note is benzoin.

If I had to describe this fragrance, I would say that it smells like a walking into an interesting, eclectically furnished room containing a cedar chest, a vase full of greenery (no flowers) with Japanese incense burning in the background.

It's not quite right for either myself or my partner, but I can appreciate the quality. Sillage is moderate, and longevity is all day. This can normally be purchased for around $45AU for a 100 ml eau de toilette. Phenomenal value for money given how long it lasts.

Although it is quite easy to wear, it doesn't suit everyone. It's a fairly austere, intellectual and introverted scent. I don't really have the gravitas to pull it off. Having said that, there's no way I'm getting rid of my bottle. I can see me wearing this to bed, or around the house, and occasionally as a layering agent. I could see me topping it with a tuberose or jasmine fragrance oil.

Edit: I can't help myself. I love to layer fragrances and have found a combination that suits me brilliantly. Island Gardenia by Jovan is a creamy, buttery white floral that smells like it has a combination of toasted coconut and green notes. When I layer the two together it extends the longevity of Island Gardenia and tones down the sweetness while adding smokey, herbal undertones. A lovely combination. Worn by itself, Body Kouros is a little too serious for me. Worn by itself, Island Gardenia is too sweet but combining them is magic.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I've never tried the original Body Kouros, so I can't compare. I bought this on a whim, without smelling a tester, due to the reviews on here and reading the notes. I've never seen it in stores before, but a Shoppers Drug Mart had it so I jumped on the chance to get it. It was a safe blind buy for me! It is definitely an spicy oriental type scent, but it also has a sweetness. I can't compare to the original, but this is top notch stuff either way. There is eucalyptus in the opening and then some incense, and benzoin in the dry down.

Popular Fragrances