essence The gel nail polish top coat

essence The gel nail polish top coat
The gel nail polish top coatThe gel nail polish top coatThe gel nail polish top coat

4.4

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Looks great and keeps polishing from chipping for ever at a great price.

on 2/8/2018 6:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

For me, this is one of the best top coats out there. For someone who changes nail colour every few days, I just don't want to spend a lot of money on something that I run out of very fast. It completely erases all the mistakes I've done with regular nail polish, it doesn't bubble and it lasts on my nails for one week. I usually use it with other essence gel nail polishes.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Not sure what the big fuss is. In my view, the main pro here is its regular price point and wide brush. But it doesn't perform like true gel polish. I've used it three times so far, twice with the Essence nail polishes, all times with the Seche Vite Ridge Filler base coat. My manicure stayed pretty much chip-free for 5-6 days, which I would think is what standard top coats do. But my nails get scratched and scuffed easily, unlike with a professional gel manicure. I can't remember whether standard top coats get so scratched up.

on 3/20/2017 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This is a good top coat but not great. I love the shine and long wear I get with this but this creates bubbles so bad in nails. I've tried everything to keep the bubbles from forming but they always show up after 5 min of drying. I give up, I'm on the search for a better top coat now.

on 3/14/2017 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

As someone who hates saying "good for the price", I just don't like this top coat. It takes over an hour for it to dry properly on me, and I am not that patient. However if you are - go for it. It doesn't strip of the past coats like some topcoats do and helps the lasting power. But for me, the incredibly long wait for it to dry is way too much.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is a very good top coat although I think Seche Vite and OPI's RapidDry are still my top favourites.
The formula is rather thick and it takes a bit longer to dry than my aforementioned favourites but the results are still good. There's no shrinkage (ahem, Seche Vite) once the top coat dries which is great.

I don't think it compares to having a proper gel polish manicure and I haven't tried the gel polish kits from the drugstore so I can't compare.
For $4.99 CAD, I won't complain about the price.

A good alternative to the more expensive top coats out there.

on 1/24/2017 11:54:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Going to edit my comment and say that while I do still think this is a good cheap topcoat that lasts long and duties pretty quick, it has an insane amount of bubbling. Not sure if it's just the way I'm applying but I like my manicures to be perfect and the high amount of bubbles in the polish ruin it for me, I will still be on the hunt for the perfect topcoat.

on 12/10/2016 12:22:00 AM

I use this 1 day after I do my mani. It seems pretty bomb the past 2 times I've used it. Keeps it shiny and keeps polish from chipping. I use Nailtiques as a base or I still have revlon color stay base coat, 2 coats color, top coat. Next day I put this on.

on 10/1/2016 10:31:00 AM

The best top coat so far. And very cheap. It lasts for almost 2 weeks.

on 10/1/2016 9:18:00 AM

For the price you can't go wrong with this little gem. It's probably the shiniest topcoat out there besides actual uv gel polish. Lasting power is good although it does get pretty thick after a while. Will buy again for sure.

Popular Top/Base Coats