Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Fast Dry Top Coat

No Image

4.6

I have been using this product for over 10 years now. it makes any polish last longer. stays shiny for a long time. I only do my nails one a week and it's all due to this gem. once it's 3/4 done I usually toss it and get a new one but cause it gets goopy. that's nbd tho. definitely a hg for me.

This is the 3rd top coat that i 've tried and i love it! It delivers what it promises, shine CHECK, fast dry YES, may be not 10 days long but a week CHECK. I have essie, korres, essence, OPI and some other brands known may be only in my Country(ex. erre due Hi Greeks :) ) that work amazing with SH. I took one star off because as many pointed out, at the very (meaning less than 1/4) end of the bottle it becomes goopy (solved partially with a thinner). I like to keep it in the fridge, so maybe that delayed that "effect". Also, i want to try other top coats and if they are a disappointment, i will come back and upgrade this. Currently i purchased essie good to go and will see how this one.. goes!!

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

This review is for the SH top coat in the long, clear bottle with a black top called Clearly Quick.

I bought this top coat after someone on the nail board posted that it doesn't dull the linear effect in holographic polishes. Now, if you wear scattered holos (ex. Kleancolor, OPI DS Extravagance, any A-England holo) you don't have to worry about this happening. But linear holos (ex. Dance Legend New Prisms, Color Club Halo Hues, Jade Holografico) will look like more common scattered holos if you wear the wrong top coat.

The first polish I used this on was Urban Outfitters' Silver Holo (identical to Color Club Harp On It), one of the strongest linear holos available at the moment. After it dried, I could tell that the top coat did diminish the effect, but was very subtle. In fact, if you weren't paying close attention to how it looked before, you probably wouldn't notice it. It's a good trade-off because these holos tend to chip, and this top coat does an excellent job helping to keep it intact.

As for other polishes, including those that tend to be either goopy or need to be applied in several thick coats to achieve the bottle color, this top coat dries them pretty quick. I applied this over Sally Hansen Beach Ball, and between the multiple coats of this polish and the top coat, it ended up looking like gel polish. This may be good or bad depending on what your preference is, but it regardless it's still better than having it trashed because it wouldn't dry at all. I also put it over Hits Apolo, a polish with a slow drying formula, and it dried it without bubbles.

My only problem with this top coat is the brush. It's shaggy and thick, which is terrible when using over anything with delicate details. Otherwise, make sure you have a generous amount of top coat on the brush before you apply it, because it's a bit thick and will drag the polish off your nail if it's too thin. It also has a tendency to get thick, but all you have to do is add some thinner, and then roll it between your two hands until you don't see any lines throughout the polish in the bottle.

I definitely recommend this top coat as an ETF alternative to more expensive holo-friendly top coats. It's inexpensive, readily available, has a good shine and thickness, plus it delivers on the fast dry part.

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I decided to try the Sally Hansen insta-dri top coat whilst searching for a replacement for my Seche Vite.
I'm used to using gel polish and have little patience when waiting for my nail polish to dry.
Seche Vite was good but had to be applied quickly, thickened a lot and had a habit of shrinking. I then tried the Poshé top coat which was almost exactly the same as seche vite minus the strong smell.

I then decided to try this top coat as shrinkage is a real nightmare after applying polish so carefully.
I LOVE this top coat! BUT it does have it's own problems.
This top coat applies easily, the formula is thinner than SV or Poshé and unlike the others, it doesn't have to be applied quickly.
I apply it as the instructions recommend and it works best like that.
SH advise waiting 2 minutes before applying, if you apply before then it can often cause dragging of your colour.
It takes about 60 seconds to dry to touch (they don't pretend it will be fully dry on the packaging which is nice) which means you can begin to use your hands again but I find the actual dry time to be more dependent on the polish used and how that was applied.
If the polish dries slowly SH will help speed it up and protects your mani while it dries. With it's own accompanying Insta-dri polishes it dries very quickly and hardens the nail polish too.
If the polish application was too thick however your mani may never fully dry but there's little any top coat can do for that.

One problem with it is it does tend to bubble when the bottle ages. I remedy this by buying another bottle, half using that and then adding the two together in the same bottle.

Doesn't dry as fast as Seche Vite but it's a close second

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This is a repurchase for me, although the first time was a long time ago. It got goopy halfway through the bottle so I had to toss it.
But I got this again a few months ago and I'm just loving it. I had gotten lazy with top and base coats but this really does make all the difference. It seems to perfect the look of the polish and it makes my nails so smooth and shiny. Now that I see the difference it makes, I can't go back.