Shu Uemura Depsea water

Shu Uemura Depsea water

4.1

sea water , methylparaben , linalool , parfum / fragrance,

on 1/23/2010 5:59:00 PM

Packaging-ok. Would be nice to be able to have the option to pour OR mist like FRESH's Rose Marigold.
Price ok for what you get.
I bought 3 diff ones. SA was insistent I needed all of them but no way. Not when I haven't even tried 1. I'm still a moron cause I bought 3.
Hammaleis. The SA was so persistent about this one and apparently I have a problem 1. w/ enlarged pores and 2. w/saying no.
It is pretty irritating/drying. Don't let that stop you though. My skin is pretty much irritated by everything and witch hazel can tend to be slightly astringent. That is the general point.
I bought it in unscented. Doesn't do much of anything. I asked SA what the function was and she was shocked by my utter ignorance. Because your skin needs this precious sea water!!! OK THEN! I do think this would be nice to use to wet your eyeliner brush for dry shadow application since tap H2O will have chemicals and what not in it thus contaminating your product with who knows what.
I finally bought this in Chamomile. If I were to purchase again I would say this would be the one. The smell is ok, non offensive. It is slightly moisturizing and calming. I do not like to use it on my face and leave it there or I get big pores, congestion and break out. Nothing earth-shattering but very noticeable. I do like to soak a cotton pad w/it and use it to remove my clay mask before a shower.
It is also ok to put on my body if I want my body lotion to spread better.
Worth a try but don't be an idiot like me and go all in unless you really are a nut for toners.

on 2/4/2009 3:17:00 AM

I absolutely LOVE the Shu Uemura line and every one of their products purely for the amazing ingredients and quality. They leave your skin like the fountain of youth and why so many people all over the world use them. This Depsea Water Spray is my all time favorite HG product. Alot of peopel msitke this for a toner which is not in any way. It is like Evian or any other REFRESHER sprays out there, however the ingredietns in this are soo superior in all the ocean minerals it contains like all teh other product in the SHU line. This water is the purest of anything you could ever put on your face and if only oru water supply from our faucet was this good no one in America would have skin issues. Anyhow unless your face is perfect (those lucky few) you need to use a toner(always alcohol free) that deep cleans and balances your face after your cleanser. Then I recommend following with this spray on your face. Then follow with your serum or moisturizer after which will truly sink in and work so much better after using this spray.

The real secret of this spray working absolute miracles and wonders on your skin is to not let it completely dry and while it is still slightly damp (you only have a few seconds) apply your serum or moisturizer and rub it in. What that does is trap the moisture from this water and lets all the amazing minerals of this water along with your moisturizers sink in to the deepsst layers of your skin. No matter what skin type you have using this spray in your routine will truly fix or make any problem better.

I have combo skin (looks normal) which is oily and blemish prone and ever since using this mist in my routine (applying moisturizer while my face is still damp from it) my skin absolutely looks flawless all day and I don't breakout anymore. even when I go out with friends all I wear is eye liner, mascara, and lipgloss and everyone I run into aks me what makeup I am wearing to amke my skin look so flawless and that is how I know this is my HG product in my skincare routine!

My favorite scent is the lavendar which is so relazing and refreshing. Love the bottle too which are so great to throw in your purse and take with you as refreshers throughout the day.

on 12/24/2009 11:48:00 PM

I bought this for a very long international flight (17 hours) in order to keep my skin from getting too dried up from the harsh airplane air. I sprayed it obsessively on the flight and I must say, my skin felt and looked a lot better than it ever has on a flight that long. I kept on using it everyday, a couple sprays at night before moisturizer and I'm almost positive it improved the texture and tone of my skin. I recently started using jojoba oil as my nightly moisturizer, so now I spray 2 sprays of this water on 2 drops of jojoba oil and mix it all together and apply it to my face. It makes the jojoba oil sink into my skin easier, makes it more luxe feeling because it smells so nice (I have rose) and I'm getting all the benefits of both products. So far, this combination has given me the best skin I've *ever* had since before puberty! I haven't tried the jojoba oil without the depsea water, but I figure why stop if I found a combo that is perfect? I also use it from time to set makeup that looks a bit too powdery to give it a more dewy finish. All around a good, multi-use product. One lippie off because I always feel absurd for paying $24 for essentially water. But I swear it has magic in it!!

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Okay so I have super oily skin. SUPER SUPER oily skin. Every moisturizer I use makes my skin greasy and nasty and AWFUL. So I gave up on moisturizer. Then I found Shu Uemura on a recent trip to Japan. OMG what a lifesaver. I now have very happy NOT GREASY skin. I use the High Performance Cleansing Oil in Fresh (cherry blossoms...mmmm) and my new product love, Depsea Water. I have the limited edition in Momonomi (peach) and it is wonderful. I spray it on after I cleanse and it gives me the PERFECT amount of moisture. EVERY SUPER OILY GIRL SHOULD USE THIS. It's perfection in a bottle.

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Neutral

Yes, it looks suspiciously useless but it's the farthest thing from a gimmicky product. I have tried almost all of their scents, my favourite being mint and bergamot. I'm now on rose and I love it just as much. My skin have never been better, less prone to acne, more moisturised, and gives a dewy finish every time I use it. I have no idea what kind of drug they put in there as they claim it is from the deepest ocean trench unharmed by the sun and pollution. Whatever is in it, I'm all for it.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have the Myrtle scented depsea water and I do love how it feels. It makes my skin moist and it leaves it feeling moist for some time. Too many sprays, I may even feel a bit oily afterwards. I can see why some ppl don't like the way it sprays out. It is not a light mist but a full on shot of water which can leave too much in one spot and make it drip. Better to move your hand while you spray to try to distribute the water evenly across the face. I am not thrilled that the second ingredient is Methylparaben. I use a lot of other misting products that do not contain a preservative so I may not consider buying this again unless there is a scent I really love.

on 1/12/2009 9:39:00 PM

I'm one of those people who said they'd never buy into the mineral water spray hype. It's just water in a spray container for God's sake. But there was so much hype around Shu Uemura's Depsea Water that I finally broke down and gave it a shot, figuring that I'd return it to Sephora and get my money back when (not if, WHEN) it didn't do anything for me but make my face wet.

It's been about a month now and I haven't returned it. And I'm not going to. I have to admit it. I like this stuff. I ended up buying the lavender scented variety. I wanted the unscented (because I have a finicky nose and sensitive skin and try to avoid scented skincare unless I know it won't cause irritation), but it was sold out along with most of the other scents and lavender was both the most appealing to me (of what was available) scent-wise and seemed the most appropriate for my needs (it's supposed to calm the skin).

I generally spritz my face with Depsea water before applying my serum, argan oil and moisturizer or if my skin's feeling dry and tight, but I also spritz my makeup sponges before applying foundation/tinted moisturizer to help reduce the amount being absorbed by the sponge. I could just use regular water, but I figure some of the Depsea water will end up on my face and I prefer not to use our (hard) tap water. It does seem to relieve some of the tightness/itchiness I get from my skin being dry, but it certainly doesn't replace my moisturizer. I do find that it seems to help my moisturizers sink in better and maybe calms a little of the redness in my sensitive skin.

It's not really a skincare necessity, but the bottle will probably last quite a while and I do enjoy the whole pampering aspect.

PROS: (1) nice, natural herbal lavender scent in the kind I got; (2) feels refreshing on the skin; (3) seems to help my moisturizer sink in better; (4) might help with sensitive skin irritation (I've made other changes in my skincare, so I can't say for sure that the Depsea Water is responsible).

CONS: (1) expensive for mineral water; (2) not really a skincare necessity; (3) doesn't completely relieve the tight/itchy feeling of my skin being dry (but it does help).

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

The packaging is hygenic and chic and I always carry this when I fly. The air inside the cabin dries out my skin a lot so spritzing this on my face every now and then really keeps my skin dehydrated. My skin actually feels softer after every use. And of course, I love the aromas. I went for the rose depsea water and it's just very calming and relaxing. That said, using too much of this product can make my combination skin/t-zone become shinier faster.... so minus 1 lippy for that. Dont' use this excessively like I used to and you'll be fine.

everyone is right, this product is DEFINITELY a luxury over necessity. you could do the same trick buying a spray bottle and spraying some scented mineral water on your face.

however..

i keep buying this. first of all, i've had this bottle for a year and a half and it's still not empty. second of all, i love the way it feels when i spray my face. the mist is perfectly fine and feels incredible on my face. i use it primarily for a setting spray on my makeup in the morning. but on occasion, i do use it on my brushes, sponges and to re-vive my makeup at the end of the day.

it might be improtant to admit that i originally got this when i bought the tokyo lash box (a rather, er, um, expensive purchase). but i still love all the products i got with it!

on 12/14/2002 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love this stuff! It comes in different "flavors"(actually, there is no -flavor-,just smell):I have tried rose (!), bergamot (ok), and cornflower(!). I use it after I put all my makeup on (except mascara)- esp powder- it seems to set it. I used to use Evian water, then I used distilled water. This is better than all- there is only a smell as you are spraying-it's very light, then it dissipates. After I spray, then I put my mascara on, and it really helps to glide that on. just love it...a "holy grail" item

Popular Face Skincare Products