MAC Cosmetics Matte Lipstick - Whirl

MAC Cosmetics Matte Lipstick - Whirl
Matte Lipstick - WhirlMatte Lipstick - Whirl

4.3

on 11/6/2018 6:40:00 PM

I like this one (as I am a sucker for those muted warm toned lippies) but I prefer taupe over whirl. I find whirl little bit to deep for my nc20-25 skintone. I think it's better suited for people with darker complexions than mine, probably. Looks pretty good on the lady in the pic. It's a little bit drying on the lips, and I know that can be a deal breaker for some people, so... you must take that in count.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I was never into the 90s lip trend, so was avoiding this shade at all costs.

Until I was chatting to a friendly MAC employee and while we were discussing just how awful most warm browns look on me (think Velvet Teddy gone brassy) she suggested that I go for Whirl. Never in my wildest dreams would I think that this shade would suit me so well!

This is literally the perfect brown lipstick for people who do not like brown lipsticks. It is opaque, creamy and wears so well. I think this is a perfect, universally flattering shade that will look great on everyone. I highly recommend it!

For unedited arm, lip swatches of this and other MAC matte lipstick shades you can check out my separate review here (https://www.partyparrotblog.com/single-post/2018/10/17/5-MAC-Lipsticks-You-Should-Try-This-Fall). Hope it helps!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Found my perfect nude lipstick!! I tried so many nude lipsticks in drugstore brands like Maybelline, L’Oreal, Revlon, etc and the closest I found was L’Oreal but it still was a touch too light with the pink/beige tones. Then I found Tom Ford Lip Colour in So Vain which was perfect but it was a creamy almost sheer so I was on the hunt for a matte version and MAC delivered! Surprisingly it isn’t drying on my lips and the Whirl matte lipstick has the same mauve based colour like So Vain is perfect for my skin tone. Love it and would definitely repurchase.

on 8/29/2018 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm afraid I will have to agree with the reviewer who talked about 'smokers lip' when referring to Whirl...
The contrast it provides is not enough for me and it can easily look greyish, too - although sometimes, under natural light, it can look OK.

on 4/16/2018 3:30:00 PM

Bought this ages ago when Kylie Jenner was known to wear this shade & at first I loved it! It’s a deep brownish mauve colour with a hint of purple ( in my opinion) best paired with the matching lip liner. As it’s a matte formula it can be drying on the lips and there’s supposed to be many dupes but it’s something you need to try at least once in your life!

on 1/16/2018 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm

just tried a tube of this in the "baby MAC" offerings. nice-sized mini for $10. LOVING this color on my lips! i have lips that are two different colors (upper lip is deep mauve and bottom lip is a watermelony-pink/brown). whirl is a beautiful neutral on me and acts as a perfect nude for my NC45 caramel brown complexion. it's a matte formula ... i would prefer it in a creme sheen, but it isn't overly drying. nice color for us brown women! will definitely have this in my arsenal from now on.

on 10/30/2017 9:38:00 AM

I love this shade to me it reminds me of a 90’s colour I used to wear. About me NW20, blonde hair, green eyes, and very cool undertones for reference. Whirl goes so well with my skintone. The lipstick itself isn’t drying on my lips and it lasts. This shade also makes my eyes stand out. I really like the formula it’s pigmented and for a good lippie I don’t think the price is too bad at all. I think this will be a great shade for me for Fall/Winter as well because it will be a nice shade to wear when I’m not wearing berry colours. Very happy with this lippie I also like to use this with the liner it lasts so long that way. Recommended.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I had high hopes for this colour as I was looking for a low-maintenance nude lipstick (i.e. no lip liner req'd) and read all the rave reviews for it. While I like the matte texture of it and don't find it too drying, it washes out my NW35 skin and makes me look a bit corpse-ish. Taupe is a better colour for me.

on 5/15/2017 6:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

A great slightly pink-nude for my NC45 skin complexion, I'm so glad it doesn't wash me out. It's a tad drying, so before I start my makeup routine I put on some lip balm since I always do my lipstick last. The price of MAC lipsticks keep going up which makes me a little hesitant to buy more products from them but I really do enjoy this lipstick for everyday wear. This color on my skin tone is a perfect everyday, my lips but better color.

The SA at the Times Square store recommended this for me when I asked for a nude-ish lipstick. For reference, I am about NC20-25 with dark hair and eyes.

Unfortunately, if I wear Whirl full strength, it looks like a 1990's rum raisin shade on me... not at all nude. My lips are naturally quite pink, and I do not get any of the pink tones in this lipstick... it pulls really brown.

Anyway, I haven't decided if I wanted to keep it, or if I should just return/exchange for something more suitable.