Moroccanoil Hydrating shampoo

No Image

3.0

on 4/21/2017 2:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Yet another high-end flop for me. Thankfully I bought the travel/sample size in this shampoo and the coordinating Moroccanoil Hydratin Conditioner, so I didn't exactly break the bank on my initial purchase, but the full size bottles are pretty pricey. For reference I have fine (but a decent amount of it) and dry hair that once dried has a frizzy wave that tends to appear coarse in texture--it's so weird. I also seem to have a pretty sensitive scalp which is why I've been leaning towards sulfate-free.

This shampoo left my hair feeling very stripped. I could tell in the shower that it probably wasn't going to work because my hair immediately felt a little too clean. Once air-dried my hair felt dry to the touch and it looked frizzy and hay-like. The hydrating conditoner thankfully imparted some softness and shine, but not enough for my taste. After a couple weeks using the shampoo and conditioner my hair looked OK, but not any better than my hair was looking with Giovanni 50/50 Clarifying and Moisturing shampoo and conditioner, which is what I was using before. My ends still felt dry and I was shedding quite a lot. That being said, hair shedding is always a problem for me, but now I'm using Giovanni 50/50 shampoo and Pantene Moisture Renewal (yes, Pantene) and I'm shedding far less. No more strands on my pillow in the morning and fewer strands coming out of my ponytail when I run my fingers through it. Anyway, the lack of moisturizing properties and the hair loss aside, the big kicker for me with these products (I'm not sure if it was just the shampoo or the conditioner or both) was that it irritated my scalp and caused breakouts along my hairline and ears. I got the breakouts right away, but after a couple weeks of use my scalp started to get pretty itchy and I developed a weird dandruff. I do have acnegenic skin, so I'm just assuming the oils in this shampoo were too much for my skin.

So in conclusion, this shampoo wasn't hydrating enough for me, might have been causing some excessive shedding, and definitely caused some negative scalp and skin reactions. Needless to say I will not be repurchasing.

on 1/4/2017 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm shocked with the bad reviews! My hair loves moroccanoil and I'm a little addicted. I have been using the hydrating shampoo and conditioner on and off for years. Between bottles I always get bored and try something new, but I always go back. My hair is fine but I have quite a bit of it. This shampoo along with the conditioner gives me just the right amount of hydration without weighing it down which many products do. It doesn't leave buildup on my hair like some drugstore products do. With drugstore stuff I can go 24 hrs then my hair feels dirty, moroccanoil I can wash my hair twice a week. Love it

on 7/30/2016 10:15:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

bought this in hopes of providing hydration for my processed, damaged hair and it dried out my hair like the sahara desert. Highly do not recommend this product. The conditioner is also drying

on 4/27/2016 6:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have fine hair but lots of it also curly frizzy highlighted and dry. This shampoo did not dry out my hair at all in fact I feel it weighed it down a bit and my hair got greasier quicker. If your hair is very dry not on the fine side and parched id recommend this shampoo.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed with this shampoo compared to the quality of other Moroccanoil products I've tried. Yes, it's a nice shampoo, doesn't have parabens etc., but does it do wonders to my hair? No, or at least not yet. Also, it doesn't lather much, so half the time I feel like I didn't rinse off all the dirt), even though my hair doesn't get greasy or dirtier faster than usual. I've tried it without the conditioner, but for my curly hair, I think would be better to finish off with one. Overall, nothing to get hyped up about.

This smells nice, but really dries out my hair! Guess I'll stick with my Pureology!

on 3/18/2016 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Other, Medium

Unfortunately this overpriced shampoo did NOT provide enough moisture to my short curly, thick hair and my hair felt coated and sticky after day two. I purchased the travel size so I'll use the remaining product for bathing or as a hand soap as I like the fragrance.

For the price point, I would recommend the Shu Uemura Moisture Velvet Shampoo over this one.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Like the other couple reviewers, for me the scent is the only redeeming thing about this shampoo. The scent of moroccanoil products has people in 2 groups. You either love it and want to drench yourself in it, or you hate it. I've yet to ever meet someone who thinks it's just okay. If you hate it, you want to avoid the line altogether, as the scent of most of their products will last in your hair for days (including this shampoo). I have several MO products in my hair regimen that work wonders on my hair, this just isn't one of them. My hair is very thick, coarse, curly, and I have a lot of it. In terms of product quality, it just isn't all that hydrating which surprised me as I had heard a lot of girls with fine hair say it weighed their hair down. It's not the least hydrating shampoo I've used, but it just doesn't provide enough moisture for me to continue using it.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have dry, coarse, thick hair that is chemically straightened and colored/highlighted - so as you can imagine, my hair needs all the TLC it can get. A hairstylist at the salon recommended this shampoo to me, as she said it helped her dry and coarse hair a lot so I decided to give it a try. I will say that it doesn't suds up a lot, which I know is a good thing as it is more gentle on your hair and doesn't have as much of the sulfates I believe. For someone who doesn't like shampoos that don't suds up much this may be an issue.. But I liked that. I like that it doesn't feel like it strips my hair, but gently cleanses it. In regards to the scent, my husband doesn't like it. His exact words when going to sleep and snuggling were "Your hair smells like a mix of Grandma and potpourri .." !! Awesome ;) So there's that. But maybe some people like the scent I guess. Overall, I would buy again as its gentle on my hair. Just wish it had a better scent.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Oh my gosh, YES YES YES! The reviewer below has described PERFECTLY my relationship with MoroccanOil products. The scent is TO DIE FOR. It is so addicting, when I smell it I am instantly uplifted... When I catch a whiff of my hair halfway through my crappy 12 hour shift, knee-deep in blood and poop, I can't help but be happy! Sad thing is, I don't think it's very hydrating at all.... It seems to make my hair feel all tangly and messy when I'm trying to work it through my hair. But I get through it, and coat it with conditioner, and move on because THAT SMELL! I pay big bucks to get blow-outs at the blow-out bar that only uses MoroccanOil products because you walk in the door and you are blown away by the amazing smell of MoroccanOil! I will keep on buying this stuff because it's not ruining my hair. The smell is to die for.