HANYUL Luminant Cushion SPF 50+

No Image

4.5

I am consistently a NC20 unless I have an extreme bake under the sun which gets me to NC25. I purchased the Hanyul Luminant Cushion in Soft Beige #23 after reading a blog that mentioned that this cushion was extremely light. This cushion has the potential to be at the top of my now growing cushion list but the color seemed a bit orange on me. I'm super curious to see what the Luminant Pink #21 would look like on my skin

In terms of coverage, the cushion's formula obliterated all my pores and gave me a smooth, dewy airbrushed look. The downside of this cushion is that it smells like commercial air refreshener. My 6yo described the smell as a freshly deodorized hotel bathroom.

on 6/23/2015 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I've been using this everyday for a week now in shade #23 (natural beige) in the peach-colored compact, which just came out this spring. The Hanyul Luminant cushion had been on my shopping list for some time due to positive reviews from several bloggers I trust, but when I finally moved to buy, the much-praised earlier version in the milky white compact had just been discontinued. I decided to take a chance anyway and get the new one. Thus in this review I can't speak to how the 2015 edition compares to the original, or whether it's even a new formulation or just a new package design. There are still just two shades, though what used to be #1 and #2 are now #21 (pink beige) and #23 (natural beige).

As a happy habitual user of the AmorePacific cushion in #104 (tan blush, a good match for me in winter), I find the Hanyul cushion in #23 decidedly more yellow, and suspect I should've gone with the lighter, pinker shade. That aside, the finish is indeed luminous, and right away provides fuller coverage than AmorePacific, which may be a plus for some. The cushion itself is also noticeably firmer, and the puff picks up more product with each pressing than AP even when I apply the same light-to-medium pressure. So, on my first try, I ended up with a visibly foundation-sheathed face, but since then I've learned to use a much lighter touch to achieve the slightly sheerer finish that I prefer. Compared to AP, the Hanyul finish looks more silky than dewy -- I think Hanyul gives me a more professional look, "flawless" even comes to mind -- and the finish stays beautifully smooth throughout the day. Still, if you want a dewy no-makeup look, as is my default, this may not be the ideal, effortless product for you.

For reference: apart from AmorePacific #104, some of my other favorite foundation-type products include Koh Gen Do Moisture Foundation in #123 and NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer in Alaska. My impression is that Hanyul provides more coverage on first application than any of those. It also has the yellowest hue of all those, yellower than I'd choose -- but the result is luminous, not dull, so even that is growing on me, though I'd still love to try the lighter shade.

A note about packaging (not an issue for me but maybe of interest for some): the compact looks like a chic rose-gold in the stock photos, but apart from the powdery peach-colored cover (which is partly smooth, partly frosted), the rest is entirely white and feels pretty plasticky overall. It has a faintly sporty aesthetic, I guess, that makes me want to throw it into my gym bag to emerge all ladylike again after a tough workout.

I've had such a hard time finding reviews of this cushion, and am still curious how fans of the original would judge the current product. I'm going with a 5-star rating here due to the finish and lasting power, even if what it achieves isn't 100% aligned with my own preferences 100% of the time. Hope these impressions can help some of you out there!