Pura D'or - Argan Oil Premium Organic Shampoo Hair Loss Prevention

No Image

1.4

I purchased this shampoo (gold bottle) in hopes that it would help with my hereditary hair loss. Although it didn't do anything to harm my hair, it didn't do anything to make a difference either. I spent around $40 on one bottle for my hair to remain in pretty much the same condition - super disappointing!

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I purchased two bottles of this before I realized it did nothing for my fine, thinning hair. I am 49 years old and gong through hormonal changes. This did not help me. I was using Alterna Caviar Detox shampoo for fine,thinning hair with some improvement in my condition but switched to this because it was cheaper. This does not dry my hair or scalp out but my hair loss rate seemed to increase while I was on it. With the Alterna shampoo, my hair loss slowed. Don't be fooled by the five star ratings on Amazon about this product.

on 1/25/2016 7:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I bought this through their website after reading so many great reviews on Amazon.

I started using it and thank god, not everyday. I don't have thinning hair, no thyroid problems, no birth control, etc. I just wanted a shampoo that was organic and gave me healthy hair.

This shampoo did the opposite. My scalp felt itchy all the time. My hair went flat and unmanageable. And I THINK it made me lose my hair around my widow's peak. When I contacted customer service about this. They responded with:

Thank you for reaching out to us. It is normal to witness more hair loss in the first 2 weeks. You should be seeing results within 3 months.

How does that make sense? I have to lose hair to keep my hair and then CONTINUE to use this or my hair will fall out?! I'm returning it but here's the catch. Their return policy:

Please include your order number a small note to why the package is being return as well as your order number. Once received we will be giving you a refund minus shipping cost.

I don't get a full refund?

PLEASE proceed with caution if you choose to try this shampoo. I believe they are a scam. I'm going back to what I know which is Iden Bee Propolis.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is one of those things where I can't be sure it's helping but it might be so I don't want to count it out. I have thin, fine hair that has gotten thinner as I've moved into my mid-30s, most likely because of hormonal issues. As a shampoo it's fine. It gets my hair clean and doesn't strip it. I try to avoid sulfates in my shampoo, so I am used to a less squeaky result than maybe others expect. Really, though, my hair feels clean and I haven't noticed residue. I've been using this for months now, so I'd have noticed by now. I've had allergic reactions to the odd product in the past but have had no problem with this. (YMMV.) My boyfriend saw it in my shower and has been worrying about his own hairline and started using it and he has no gripes with it, either. My hair has filled in a little bit around the hairline where I noticed thinning the most. I make get my hair wet, apply several pumps of the product, making sure to massage it around my scalp and hairline and especially where I want it to fill in, and leave it to sit for a few minutes and soak in while I do my other shower stuff. Then I rinse it off and follow with a moisturizing conditioner on the ends. I haven't tried the one they sell. I use whatever conditioner I feel like that day. Sometimes I follow with Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle conditioner on the upper half of my hair, too, to get some light moisture up top after leaving this stuff on for a while. Anyway, as I said, I've had some regrowth. It's not spectacular, but it's enough that my hairdresser noticed and asked me what I had been doing. (I was too embarrassed to admit it was this and said I was taking vitamins, which is also true.) To be clear -- I've been doing several things at once and maybe it's one of the other things or all of them combined, but something is working at least a little so I am going to stick with it. In case you're wondering what the "other" things are -- spironolactone, oral zinc, and prenatal vitamins. Hair is so much more emotional than people realize if they are not dealing with it themselves. Keep your chin up.

on 10/27/2015 9:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Edited to add: if any of you need clarification on any of the science terms I included, just PM me. Some of this is not common knowledge and I didn't articulate it my best.
------------------
Sadly, I'm pretty sure the fact this has a TON of 5 star reviews on Amazon... means that the company is shilling their product. Shame on them for misleading people with glimmers of false hope.

I lost 2/3rd of my hair a few years ago. During that time I was absolutely DESPERATE for the hair loss to relent. I spent thousands on promising, gimmicky treatments. I spent hundreds going to the derm. So at the time.. spending $35 on this was not a big deal. If it had worked, it would've been worth its weight in gold to me.

There came a point where I was losing hair so rapidly that my scalp HURT. It felt like someone was dragging a sharp fork across it. This shampoo did absolutely nothing to soothe it. It did not slow down the hair loss whatsoever.

Pura D'or shampoo just dried my hair out and irritated my scalp further. I used the entire giant bottle. If anything, it just made the situation worse.

Years have passed and I managed to grow my hair back thicker than ever. 0 thanks to this product. In turn I could probably write a science book on hairloss with all the information I retained. Pura D'or claims this shampoo works by putting DHT blockers on your scalp. I did not know this at the time... but that is absolutely B.S. DHT blockers need to be take orally to work. Examples of DHT blockers: saw palmetto, various soy, quercetin.

Something I should note to make crystal clear is that IF FEMALE PATTERN BALDING IS NOT YOUR DIAGNOSIS, DHT blockers will do NOTHING to help you since they do not address the actual problem!

Telogen effluvium is the most common type of hairloss. You will need to figure out what triggered *your* episode of it and then address that. Luckily, hair loss from T.E does not scar the follicle unlike female pattern balding. Meaning your hair CAN grow back.

-------------------------
Edited to add: Zinc (topical) is actually what helped me the most with my scalp inflammation. Make sure you're a minimum of 2% and leave it on your scalp for a bit so it works its magic.

Edited to add: DO NOT GO THE MINOXIDIL ROUTE UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN PROPERLY DIAGNOSED WITH A SCALP BIOPSY TO SEE IF THE FOLLICLE HAS SCARRED AND A FULL DIAGNOSIS ON THE TYPE OF HAIRLOSS. I'm sorry for putting this in caps but I find it VERY upsetting that so many uninformed people are jumping on the minoxidil bandwagon without knowing the science behind it. It's something you will have to use the *rest of your life* if you want to keep the hair that minoxidil has grown. Thus you can actually mess up your hair follicles if female pattern balding is not the cause! I can not stress this enough to you guys.

on 10/12/2015 5:52:00 PM

I agree with the other review. This stuff is the worst. I bought this and the matching the conditioner on amazon. It had so many reviews, but now I know they must all be fake. My hair was left dry too and limp. I have to say the conditioner is even worse than the shampoo, it does nothing to de-tangle and I am now using to shave my legs with. My son is using the shampoo, since I cannot. It did not use long enough to see about hair loss, I would not recommend this to anyone.

on 6/17/2015 2:04:00 AM

I'm not exaggerating when I tell you guys this is the worst shampoo I've ever used. It leaves my hair very flat and greasy at the scalp and yet very dry and waxy at the ends, (and yes I rinsed well and used conditioner at the ends). People have been asking me if I cut my hair, why my hair is so frizzy, why my hair looks so bad. The answer, sadly, is this product. It also gave me painful pimples on my scalp and back. I gave this product a full month of testing and I wash about every other day, sometimes daily. This shampoo in my opinion does nothing to help hair loss and causes more hair loss due to irritation of my scalp (as evidenced by noticeably more hair fall both in and out of the shower as well as causing scalp acne). Additionally, this also leaves hair quite unmanageable and tangly, even with deep conditioner afterwards. I would never recommend to anyone I know.