Essie Gel Setter Top Coat

Essie Gel Setter Top Coat

4.3

on 2/26/2018 10:24:00 AM

I've read some of the reviews here and obviously my expectations of a nail polish are much lower then many people here. All I want is to be able to get a week out of a manicure with no chips. This Essie gel top coats is great. I've been using it for about 4 weeks and it's even better then the discontinued L'oreal gel lacquer kit. The price is reasonable, good selection of colors and I'm getting a week out of a manicure and on day 6 I still have a fairly good shine. If it gets goopy like others have said when the bottle is 1/2 empty so be it. Any nail color is going to get goopy when the bottle is 1/2 full of air. After L'oreal discontinued their product I've purchased so many brands of nail polish and top coats that I wasn't getting one day without a chip. I like a base coat. Since I wear darker colors I don't want my nails discolored so a base coat is a must. If I'm going to be really critical, I don't love the brush but it's certainly better then those wide brushes in other brands but not as nice or angled as the L'oreal brush. Unless they change the formula or discontinue the product Essie has me as a loyal customer on this product. If you want a nice shiny polish that will give you a week without chips and reasonably priced then this is it.

Holy Grail. Seriously. I said it's a good value, because it does what it says it will do. I have gotten two weeks of wear out of my home manicures with only slight wear at the tips. Once, I added some polish to the tips and another layer of gel-setter and got a THIRD week out of the manicure.

I get the best results when I polish like the salons do: Base coat (Seche Clear), only wait a couple of minutes, 2 coats of polish (I wait about 5 minutes between coats), then one medium coat of gel-setter. I've used it over Essie, Zoya, Revlon, and Sinful Colors polishes and it works on every one.

This topcoat keeps my manicures in near perfect condition for 5-7 days, easily. Longer if paired with a high quality polish like another Essie, an OPI l, or surprisingly, Wet N Wild Megalast. It goes on thick but dries to the touch in a matter of minutes and thoroughly within the hour. The bottle does dry out easily i have to replace it about half way though if I'm not careful to keep the screw threads on the cap clean and sealed tightly.

on 8/20/2017 6:35:00 AM

Great. Only at the end gets a little bit dry and not to easy to put it on

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like how this formula is on the thick side and find that it applies a high gloss shine as the top coat to my self-done mani. I don't believe it last any longer than a thinner formula but I do prefer the look of the finish this gives. As other reviewers mentioned, because it is a thicker formula it tends to get goopy about halfway through the bottle but honestly I find any polish gets crappy once you start moving into the lower half of the bottle which is when I start to dispose of them. The polish dries quickly enough but I would still recommend taking care not to dent or smudge nails for a couple of hours to be on the safe side.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

This top coat is exactly what I've been looking for and is now my go-to TC. I've been using it for a couple of months, and I do my nails every week. A few answers to questions I had when I was looking at buying this: No, it's not a gel; that's just a marketing gimmick. It comes off very easily with regular NP remover. Yes, you can use it with any brand of NP, not just Essie. On to particulars - it applies very smoothly, and its finish is *very* shiny. It's probably the shiniest TC I've used - shinier than Seche Vite and even nosing out SH Insta-Dri (my previous HG) as well. Gel Setter isn't a QDTC, but it's pretty darn close. The main benefit is no worries about shrinkage whatsoever, which is always a concern with QDTCs. However, dings/dents are more likely in the first 1-2 hours if you're not careful. As with all my manis, if I want it to last a full week, around Day 4 I have to re-wrap the tips and re-apply a TC. (And since this isn't a QDTC, it fits the bill for that purpose as well.) Because this is SOP for me, I don't see this as a negative, just reality. I don't do gel polish because of damage concerns, but I imagine if you're used to a real gel manicure, this will disappoint because the longevity will most certainly not match up. But if your expectations are calibrated to a standard mani, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Better than most I've tried.

Like the other reviewers, my 3 bottles of Gel Setter became stringy, thick, gloopy, and difficult to work with around halfway through the bottle. Adding some thinner before each usage helps but in my experience the original texture of the top coat is lost by that point.

The first half of the bottle is great, however. Thin and easy to work with, minimal smell, fast drying (but not quick), good longevity over the week.

The applications during the first dozen usages of a new bottle are beautiful and so lovely, but I can't justify repurchasing again and then throwing away half of the product OR reusing a deteriorating product and having imperfect manis. Back to Seche Vite.

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This does its job as a high shine top coat. It goes on very smoothly and dries quickly as well, definitely not something for people looking for a quick dry top coat, but I find it dries much faster than regular shiny top coats. My only quips with this polish is that it does not seem to prolong the wear of my manicure/makes it chip faster, and it shrinks some nail polishes - but it's very minor.

on 10/15/2016 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Like quite a few other reviewers, I loved this at first. It was a nice, shiny, quick drying topcoat that really seemed to help my polishes last longer. I'm about halfway through the bottle and it's getting really thick, stringy, and goopy. It's pretty much the same issue that Seche Vite has. I don't want to have to thin it before every use. Still looking for that HG QDTC!