Redken Extreme Length Primer

2.8

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I have been heavily trialing the Redken range to find my favourite products. My hair is coloured, shoulder length, well taken care of but dry and a little frizzed from blonde colouring. I am always looking for smoothing and strengthening products. I trialled the Extreme Length range and have found this iteration much better than the old version. The old one used to be very protein heavy with no moisture and as a result hair felt straw like after treatment - perhaps healthier and stronger but it didn't look better. This new range is very good. It includes the protein but with moisturising elements so hair now feels and looks smoother after using. I used this primer product almost every time after washing my hair for around 1-2 months. I would towel dry, brush my hair, apply this to the ends, leave in 5 or so minutes then rinse out, close the shaft with cold water, add my usual leave in conditioner and blow dry. My hair is smoother, I would say by around 20%. It has been high maintenance, however, so I am not sure if I would continue to do this, but the results have been better than say a weekly or twice weekly mask, and given masks take longer this is actually comparatively not bad. I also trialled this with the Extreme Length Conditioner and the Extreme Length Sealer and I found the synergistic benefit of all three was as great as I'd expected. I think this individual product is better than the others.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I was horrified to do some research on this product and realize that a lot of the customers buying it seem to think hair grows from the ends and not the scalp. The truth is, the biotin claims in this product are useless. You apply it to your ends...nowhere near your scalp.

I have waist length hair. This product is designed to moisturize the ends so they don't break off into split ends and travel up the shaft. *That* is how the hair continues to grow longer and longer (starting at your roots though). So I gave it 2 lippies for that. However my (already) proper hair care routine has enough protein/olaplex/hydration to need this. You would likely be better off applying oil to your ends if split ends are your issue. And in the case of extreme damage --- olaplex it or get out the scissors. This didn't do anything for existing split ends.

Last but not least, it added a tiny bit of stiffness. Which is a huge issue once I go to comb my hair.

Will not repurchase.

Such an unnecessary product! Went through my whole bottle this week (used it for two months - wash my hair once/twice a week) and I feel like it was all a waste. If I forgot to use this now and then, it wouldn't matter. It didn't leave my hair feel soft either.

Waste of money and time. But the Extreme series is good, so look into the other products!

I've bought this product about a week ago because I wanted something that would make my hair smooth and conditioned. This stuff is great! I'm a big fan of Redken's Extreme line, and this one didn't disappoint. I've been using the extreme shampoo for over a year now (finally bought a second bottle), I also use the mask and conditioner, and the anti-snap leave in treatment. After I washed my hair I used a little bit of the primer, rubbed it into my lengths, left it on for 3 to 5 minutes and rinsed it. I immediately noticed my hair felt really soft (but many conditioners make your hair soft after you use it in the shower and then when your hair's dry it looks like a big greasy mess, so I was a bit sceptic) and even after I let it air dry (and blow dried it a bit after it was almost completely dry) my hair still felt soft and looked very shiny. It's a great light weight sort of conditioner, but it's not as heavy as the mask. I'm not sure if you should use it every single time you wash your hair (I only use it two times a week), and I'm pretty skeptical about the whole biotin hype. So I don't know if this will help with growing out your hair. I do know that the Extreme line really saved my hair and made it a lot stronger! I have fine hair but lots of it, and I get highlights every 3 to 4 months (and get regular haircuts) so my hair isn't that damaged (besides the occasional split end and some little breakage) but the whole Extreme line is very gentle for my hair, so that's why I give this product a 5, since it made my hair soft and not greasy. I'll write an update if I see any spectaculair growth miracles, or I suddenly hate it. Next on my list is the Extreme length sealer and the Extreme Cat strengthening spray.

UPDATE
I've noticed that my hair gets a lot greasier when I use this product. It looks great the day that I wash it, but the next day is a whole different story. So I'm giving it a three because it still is a good product, but just not spectaculair.