It Cosmetics CC+ Cream Illumination SPF50+

It Cosmetics CC+ Cream Illumination SPF50+
CC+ Cream Illumination SPF50+

3.5

on 1/28/2018 12:59:00 PM

Let me start by describing my skin type. I'm 37 years old and have very large pores around T-zone, light pink to light brown acne scars (fading very slowly), and ice pick scars from severe acne outbreaks in my 20s. Currently I have oily T-zone and very dry skin in other parts of my face (combo skin type).

I purchased both "light" and "fair" since I'm NC 15 to NC 20 depending on the season and how much sun exposure I had. Here are my thoughts about the CC+ illuminating cream:

Pros (I gave 2 stars for the following reason):
- FULL coverage for me

- Dewy or sparkling finish - personally I prefer the dewy and sparkling finish, so this is a benefit for me. If you are looking for a MATTE finish, this cc cream is not for you.

- Easy to blend due to many silicone ingredients

- Lasts for at least 6 hours for my t-zone oily areas - I don't expect miracles since many natural makeup are just not as long lasting as the "chemical filled" makeup. So anything that lasts about 6 hours is good with me. I blot the oil spot by the end of 6th hour and dab a little more of the cc cream for touch up.

- Cruelty free according to the website

- Made in Korea - if you like the Korea brands of BB or CC cream, this cc cream's ingredients mimic the Korean BB or CC cream with dewy coverage except it's pricey. You can buy cheaper Korean BB or CC cream like the Missha brand which they claim to be cruelty free according to Missha's website, but it's for sale in China, so technically Missha still tests on animals since they sale their products in China. Also, many Korean brands BB or CC creams contain parabens and fragrances, I'm really not a big fan of their ingredients.

Cons:
- Can enhance dry spots - I have to make sure I fully moisturize my dry areas and "prep" my skin before I layer this CC cream, otherwise it will enhance dry spots and peeling issues.

- Oxidizes into orange tone - this is especially true for the "light" color. Both the "fair" and "light" oxidize into weird orange shade, but the "light" shade is much worse then the "fair" shade. I looked like I was wearing an "orange" mask at the end of the day.

- Causes whiteheads and bumps - I was only able to this cc cream for 1 week and I had to discontinue using this since I figured out that this cc cream was the culprit of breakout. I have not change any of my skin care products for more than 6 months, no lifestyle changes (eating healthy vegetarian diet, exercise 3 times per week, taking antioxidants) and my skin was in great condition before I started using this cc cream. I'm not surprised that this cc cream caused breakout since it has way too many ingredients and the more ingredients there are in a product, the more likely skin irritation may occur if you are prone to break out (I counted the ingredients on the list, this cc cream contains ~91 ingredients).

- Not vegan - this cc cream contains "snail secretion filtrate". The idea is the snail mucin from its secretion can help exfoliate skin and promote healing. However, there's no strong evidence that snail secretion filtrate really improves skin complexion compare to using glycolic acid products or antioxidant serum like vitamin C. Also, in order to make snails increase their secretion, you have to subject snails in an stressful environment to make them secrete their mucus. Although the snails are not killed during this process, I'm not a big fan of placing any creatures in stressful condition for the production of a cosmetic. I prefer "vegan" cosmetic products.

I'm returning this cc cream since they cause break outs on me. I personally prefer Jane Iredale BB cream SPF 25 or Lauren Brooke cream SPF 30 foundation plus Honest Beauty primer to give me extra dewy finish that I love (all are vegan and cruelty free) instead of this cc cream.

on 10/28/2017 8:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The illumination in this CC+ cream comes from sparkles. Yup, sparkles. Glitter. Sparkly glitter. I’d much rather get an illumination in the form of glow, not glitter. Pixi Glowtion Day Dew under the regular CC+ cream would be a better choice in my opinion. I have tried the regular version of the CC+ by IT years ago in the shade medium but it wasn’t a very good match for me so recently I got a sample of this version in the shade light to test out. Not only did the sparkle surprise me but the shade was on the ashy side so also not a good match. I like other products by IT, but they need to improve their shade range for base foundation products, it’s kind of abysmal. If you can find a shade match I’d recommend the regular CC+ and not the illumination version. Both are loaded with some pretty awesome ingredients and the squeezy tube with pump dispenser is fantastic. I would rate this higher if it wasn’t for the lack of shades and the glitter bomb in this version of the product.

on 8/26/2017 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I was very excited to try this since I watched the demos on QVC many times and was super impressed with what looked like incredible full coverage. I should have know better. They must be using TONS of this to get that coverage! I'm getting close to 60 and the sun damage has really marched forward on my skin. I really hoped this would cover it without concealer, like on TV. Nope, not even close!

That was the bad, now for the good. It's very dewy and great for drying older skin. I set with loose powder and it stays for most of the day. Love the handy packaging with the upside down pump. Mine does have a slight sheen to it but i didn't notice any glitter. The high SPF is also a huge plus.

I wouldn't purchase this again at its price point. I can get as good of coverage and dewy finish with Revlon CC cream.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I really enjoyed this product when I was into more dewy skin looks. It is incredibly hydrating and non-irritating on my sensitive skin and dry skin, and I think it's in part due to the second listed ingredient: snail filtrate! I got the shade medium for my light olive skin, and it was way too dark. The only reason it blended out and looked okay was because of the undertones of this CC cream. These have a very grey/olive undertone, whilst most foundations are too peachy on me. The coverage on this is so fantastic, I can get medium-full coverage with two pumps all over my face. An issue I had with this "illuminating" version was the sparkles scattered throughout it. This CC cream was illuminating enough without the sparkles, so they seem very pointless and ruin the smooth finish of this a bit. Another thing was that this never really completely sets to a budge-proof finish, even after adding powder on top, and I would notice it breaking up around my nose and chin after a few hours.

on 5/29/2017 7:18:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I really like how this cream feels applied on my skin. It does contain a lot of shimmer so it is not a natural look, but you also don't look like you are covered in glitter. The pump on the tube makes for a nice, hygienic application. The coverage on this is what you would expect from a CC cream. It covers texture without picking up on it, but does not do much for redness. I would probably buy this again, but it is not my go to face product.

on 5/17/2017 10:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This cc cream despite the weird snail slime ingredient is very good. It's creamy stays on even in hot humid weather covers redness without looking caked. Has a beautiful sheen and makes my dry skin look plump and youthful. I am not convinced I'll buy again because I am a vegetarian and even though an IT rep said the snails are not harmed I am not convinced. Of course the company will say that. I cannot fly to Asia to check. Sure you might be thinking what's a stupid snail. Why care ? Well I do try to live in such a way that I don't hurt or abuse other creatures especially for something like make up. Sadly I won't buy this again. Jamie why can't you make this without animal ingredients please.

on 5/16/2017 10:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

Update 10/2017: After searching up and down Ulta for a new winter foundation. Applying and wiping stuff off until my skin was angry and irritated I ended up purchasing this CC again a shade lighter (medium) for winter. I wanted a foundation that covered more for holiday events etc but couldn't find anything else that covered as well or better without caking or looking too matte. I bumped up the rating but do wish the shade selection wasn't so limited

I like the coverage of this CC not too heavy but good enough to even skin out and cover redness. It feels light on the skin once blended and set with finishing powder and has 50 spf. The fact that it contains physical sunscreen is important to me since chemical sunscreen irritates my skin which makes most American brand TMs a no go for me and CC creams are just highly pigmented TMs by another name. I had a difficult time choosing between this illuminating version and the original finish. I walked around Ulta for an hour with half of my face done in the Medium Tan shade if each version. There is a slight color difference. The original is a bit lighter but both worked. I ended up asking an SA which side they thought looked better and illuminating was the winner.

I have to set with powder in the t-zone but I didn't find this to be a dewey foundation once it set. It does brighten my complexion nicely but the finish is not dewey. That could just be because of the finishing powder though.

There is noticeable shimmer in this foundation as other posters have said. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. It wasn't noticeable in the store or the car but somehow when I redid this at home with the fresh tube there it was. It's not over the top but not what I expected either.

This is my HG daily foundation. I have combo skin but live in a dry climate and this makes my skin look and feel amazing. It's definitely illuminating with shimmer but not glittery like people are saying and it does not accentuate my pores. I recommend setting with a little powder if you want it to last through a long day. I thought I would be medium but light matches my skin tone better, I think it has slightly more yellow undertones.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Disco ball WTF. I really expected this to be like a slightly luminous version of the original. I can use this for liquid highlight. I can't even imagine using it straight as foundation. Well, yes I can, because that is what I did when I bought it. Only once, and thankfully I didn't even have to leave the glow of my indoor lighting to see that I looked like I'd been motorboating a fairy! If you want to cosplay as one of those vampires who twinkles in daylight (I'm not judging you...much.) this stuff is PERFECT. For the record, the light shade is a decent match for my NW20 skin, it's less yellow than the regular CC cream, I assume because of all the silver shimmer and sparkle. It also has a thicker consistency.

Ugh I should have read the reviews on this foundation before buying it! There was tiny glitter all over my face! The color was a good match, so when I return it maybe I'll get the original cc cream foundation.