Glossier Balm Dotcom

3.5

Not tested on animals

Petrolatum, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Beeswax/Cera Alba/Cire D'Abeille, Lanolin, Dipalmithoyl Hydroxyproline, Theobroma Grandiflorum Seed Butter, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Tocopherol, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Got this in a ipsy bag in the coconut scent. I adore the scent and the cute tube. The product itself does remind me of a nicer scented version of aquaphor. It does last slightly longer on my lips than aquaphor does but not sure I would repurchase this because I don't think the price tag is justified when there are cheaper similar products.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

I received a nice sized sample of this in my Ipsy bag. Cute little tube packaging. I have the “coconut” scent although it doesn’t smell like coconut to me. Not real coconut, nor the candy or lotion fragrance everyone knows. I think it smells like sweet buttered popcorn, but I like the smell so it doesn’t bother me. It’s moisturizing enough, it feels like a thinner version of my Lanolin, and I’m sure it costs way more. I can say that I did not look up the price for this, but if it costs more than $5, I would say that it is overpriced. Because I like the scent and I do find it moisturizing, it it were $5 or under, I’d purchase. If not, I wouldn’t. Oh, there’s no real flavor in case anyone was curious.

I love a lot of other Glossier products and wanted to love the balm dotcom but I just couldn't get past the fact that it's essentially over-priced Aquaphor. I have the coconut one and while the smell is really nice, I doubt I'd buy this again as it isn't exceptionally moisturizing and you don't get a whole lot of product for the price and performance.

I have it in coconut and love the smell. It’s more the „real“ coconut, rather than Bounty filling. The ingredients are pretty basic, I don’t feel it really nourishes my lips like the NUXE honey one does. But it’s nice on the days when you just need a nice barrier on your lips. The consistency is perfect in my opinion - not runny and creamy, no chunks of lip balm sticking to the dryer parts of the lips.

I am on accutane right now and find that it is moisturizing enough for me, but I haven’t suffered lots of excessive dryness like a lot of people have.

Upsides:
moisturizing
The flavored ones smell divine
Does the job

Downsides:
Harder to get all the product out when running low

If you tempted, then here’s a code for 10% off —> http://bff.glossier.com/h0Bqd

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have the original, birthday and 2 mint balms & love them all. They moisturise my lips well & you only need a small amount. However, I can't help but feel they are very expensive - £10 for 15ml is a hefty price tag considering they seem very similar to vaseline (just thicker & less shiny). I think I would buy more in the future as they are good lip balms, and buying the 3 pack for £25 does make them slightly cheaper. I am not sure about the 'universal' salve claim, as all except the original are flavoured - most are colourless, but I still wouldn't put any of them anywhere other than my lips

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

i was so so excited to get this stuff in the mail. it came it a cute baby pink package with stickers and my two balm dot coms. i got cherry and birthday balm. i just wanted a nice lip balm with a tint to wear when i have no make up on and i had heard so much about this cult classic. after a couple of weeks the cute packaging turned ugly with all of the colors rubbed off. i also had no clue this product contains lanolin. right away i was disappointed.. it gave 0 shine or nourishment to my lips.. it just felt like a weird film on my lips. i kept using it before bed even though my lips werent very dried to begin with. a month later, i have stretched, raw, almost chemical burns on my lips. i have never had this reaction in my life. it is painful and uncomfortable and nothing is helping soothe it. not to mention this horrible product was like $12 per tiny bottle. i threw these two balms out and am back to using my plain old smiths rose salve. never again.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I don't understand this product. I got swept up in all the Glossier hype and bought this without checking the ingredients, but this is a petroleum jelly based balm, which explains why I felt no moisturising effects whatsoever. I feel like it just stays on the surface of the lips and doesn't penetrate through. I find it doesn't do much moisturising at all, my lips stayed as cracked as it would be without any balm on. It's a slippy texture that's a little more sticky than what I'd like. Not as sticky as a gloss but definitely more than a usual lip balm. Because of its texture, I would definitely not recommend putting it on dry skin on the rest of your body since it doesn't penetrate (which is the nature of petrolatum anyway, it creates a layer on top of your skin so moisture doesn't escape, but provides no moisturising properties on its own) This way it's more likely to be rubbed off by your clothes or your own body.

I'm also not a big fan of the applicator (actually, I hate it). It is tiny so it's not convenient for the lips, doesn't get good coverage on one swipe. The product also easily gets into the grooves of where the cap screws on, making it hard to get off, plus it's also unsightly and unhygienic. And because the applicator is so small, your lips inevitably end up getting scratched on said grooves of the screw on bit, which is really unpleasant when you've already got dry and cracked lips that hurt. The only way I can see this work is by using fingers. Which defeats the point of a tube packaging.

Nothing about this product is good. I guess if you like petroleum jelly in your products and that's something you've experienced has worked for you, then go for it I suppose? In my opinion, that just makes this is very fancy overpriced version of Vaseline. If you're thinking of getting this product, I would recommend just going down to your local shop and getting Vaseline, it's pretty much exactly the same thing.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have the Birthday Balm Dotcom. They say it smells like cake, but any of my fellow Europeans will disagree. However, having lived in the States and in Canada, I've tested a fair amount of Twinkies, May West, and other Hostess & co delicacies. It actually smells of that- this very artificial vanilla-sugary extract that North American pastry companies cherish, like a "milk filling". It's not bad, but it doesn't smell like your typical pie (for example, MAC lipsticks smell like biscuits in a much nicer way). I bought this because I like the glittery packaging, but also because of the light shimmer, which is very pretty. The thing that I dislike in Vaseline products and a lot of other balms is that they're either too glossy, or just coat the lips but don't feel nourishing at all (they just sit on top of your lips). This is way better, in my opinion. It's more matte than other balms I own, and stays on a good amount of time. Even after drinking an eating, I can still feel it on. I like adding this on top of any lip color for more moisture, and I feel like it keeps it from vanishing too quickly. It's a bit expensive for a lip balm, but it's twice the amount of what I usually buy (Weleda, La Roche-Posay) and which is just as expensive. I want to get the Regular Balm next, and maybe the Rose one.

I have the original/plain one. It's fine as a lip balm, not outstanding. It does the job adequately. However, I don't find it superior to less expensive lip products like good old Chapstick in the black tube or DCT. I also tried using it on my chapped nose (too many colds this year) but it's thick, and was hard to spread on the tender skin. Vaseline was easier to use and more effective on my poor nose.

Video Reviews & Tutorials