One 'n Only Jheri Redding Colorfix

One 'n Only  Jheri Redding Colorfix
ColorFixJheri Redding Colorfix

3.8

EDIT: After four rounds of this product, my hair was orangey blonde in the root area and light brown mid-ends, each time my hair turned a bright blonde (lvl 9-10) but the moment I started to wash the product after processing it would go back to a darker shade, all in all the product works, but didn't work for ME, at a whooping $21 CAD per box it just wasn't worth it, I will however say that a week after the four rounds I used a high lift dye and my hair is almost platinum blonde at the moment, and I'm sure the remover helped by stripping old dye!

I'm gonna start by saying that I'm "one of those people" that never learns their lesson, pretty much every year or every two years I go through the same cycle of wanting to go from blonde to brown because I have this picture in my head of beautiful warm brown hair, so I promptly ignore everybody telling me brown, red or whatever other colour doesn't suit me (what do they know anyways?!!!) then once I do dye my hair brown I realize the person in the picture in my head obviously wasn't me because I always regret it and want to go back blonde.

So I did it again, this time I used L'Oreal's Power Copper because I wanted to rock red hair, after a few washes it faded back to bleach blonde (note my hair didn't hold color due to being overprocessed and damaged), then I tried another reddish color, which after washing a few times left me with the "natural redhead" and after more washes went strawberry blonde, naturally I got tired of the faded look so I went for dark blonde, which grabbed dark and turned light brown, which faded to light blonde again.

At this point I was quite upset that no matter what I did I ended up blonde so I bought Ion's Brilliant 12 in 5G (Brilliant 12 is known to run a lot darker than the swatches and I was aware of that). Props to Ion for having a dye that doesn't fade no matter how much you try, my hair was a dark dark brown, and at that point I realized I should never have done any of this foolishness, so I tried the Vitamin C wash twice to get rid of the dye but that didn't do a single thing, I proceeded to buy Color Oops, after processing it was bright blonde with no red in it, and a little bit of orange, so I was happy, surprisingly, AS I WASHED I could see the re-oxidization happening, this wasn't from not washing long enough, it got darker the moment I started to wash!

I waited a few days and bought two boxes of Colorfix, I got two uses from one box (this product is $21 in Canada so OUCH). Again after processing for 20 minutes, my hair was almost bleach blonde, and once again I was excited, until I started washing, then it got dark again, so I did a second round of Colorfix, washed again and watched my hair turning darker, but this time I'm left with orangey blonde, better than brown I suppose, I do not know if this is due to my hair being overprocessed or perhaps the extremely hard water where I live is affecting the outcome, so I will attempt this again using different water. This product does work, and the smell might be terrible, but it's not half as bad as other brands.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

So many people just don't understand how this product works and thus have an unrealistic expectation of what it can and cannot do.

Google how the product works. Colorfix will only shrink the molecules of permenant dye - that's it. This is because other dyes like semi or direct do not pentrate the shaft and so there is nothing for colorfix to shrink! For people who have had luck removing fantasy colours - that's awesome - but it's not designed for this so there is no guarantee- For people who had their hair turn dark after a few days, you did not wash all the molecules out, it is not the fault of the product, you just need to wash longer, harder or have a lot of hair that needs more than one or two applications.

Most important tip: when you rinse and shampoo, use a clarifying shampoo and scrub the hell out of your hair. Be sure to do this for five minutes straight.

Always USE the third step - it's only a level 10 peroxide. If it makes your hair dark again, this would have happened anyway. Leftover dye molecules will expand and oxidize no matter what, its just a matter of time. Using the third step simply takes the guess work out and lets you know If you should do a second or third treatment. -- Also, if you plan to dye your hair- doing the third step lets you know what level you really are before you pick up the wrong hair color.

MY RESULTS
I had natural instincts soft black in my hair for four months, only one application. Despite being a semi permenant hair dye Natural Instincts has a small amount of peroxide in it so colorfix works.

I did two back to back applications. It took my hair from a solid black to a dark warm brown (pics above). It lifted about 2 levels. I used the third step after my second application and my hair did NOT get darker because I had managed to wash most of the dye molecules out. It's likely that I (and step 3) missed some, so I wouldn't be surprised if it darkens half a shade or so in the next couple days.
It's a tiny bit brassy but not orange. This is because it worked on a dye with a low level of peroxide. In a couple days, I'll add a light brown - why light? Because the hair is most likely very porous and will absorb any colour like mad, making it darker than usual.

The smell --- The new Argan oil one is much more tolerable than the old one. A LOT better.

Good luck-- It's always worth a shot before bleaching imo.

I went to Sally's Beauty Supply to see if they had anything to take out the green in my hair, from a previous hair dying. I was told it'll take all of the green and possibly more out. As I was waiting to rinse it all out, it looked like it actually worked! My hair was actually blonde again! But as soon as I rinsed the colorfix out of my hair, IT WAS GREEN AGAIN! So I tried it again, AND ITS STILL GREEN. This is complete bogus, and I would not recommend this product. Also, the smell is gross.. I mean, I can handle it for a little bit, but when it lingers... And when I can smell it to the next day? That's just not okay.

on 6/13/2016 11:13:00 PM

This product isn't designed to remove semi-permanent hair colour, but that's what I had in my hair. It's designed to shrink hair colour molecules present in permanent oxidative dyes. Semi permanent hair colour is usually a combo of direct deposit and oxidative hair colour so if you're using this product to remove such a hair dye - don't expect it to remove every trace of colour. Even permanent hair dye can stain the cuticle and leave a funky colour.
A side note about hair color removal: this product won't leave you with your natural hair colour. Permanent hair colour works by opening the hair cuticle, removing some of your natural pigment and depositing the artificial colour. Hair that has been slightly lifted through permanent colouring will look either red, red/orange or orange depending on how dark the hair was to begin with. So expect very warm hair tones. (Unless your hair was bleached prior to the hair colour you're removing - then expect a much lighter result, but most likely it will still be on the warm side).
So this is a first step in colour correction, not a final one.

You get two bottles to mix together, plus a third which is the processing lotion. Gloves, applicator bottle/tint bowl are not included. Instructions are printed on the inside of the box.
The product stinks, but not as bad as other versions like ColorB4, thanks to the added frangrance. It's also much easier to apply than ColorB4 as its a thicker consistency.
I applied this to hair that had been previously washed with a clarifying shampoo (Redken cleansing cream) and naturally dried - no conditioner.
After application, I left it on for 40 minutes (double the recommended processing time). I then rinsed for 10 minutes and shampooed for 5.
I then reapplied to towel dried hair and left it on for a further 40mins. I then rinsed and washed again in the same manner as the first time. It took my hair from a level 5 dark brown and left it a lovely level 7 dark copper blonde.
*I did not use the processing lotion! This will reoxidise any colour that hasn't been rinsed from the hair. I chose not to use it, planning to wash my hair each day and give the molecules a chance to wash out. Any remaining molecules will reoxidise themselves over a period of about a week - so the rinsing step is really important.

It did leave my hair feeling very rough when wet, like I had been washing it with dishwashing detergent. So after the final rinse I packed my hair with Keune moisture and protein treatment, and then after rinsing that I smothered it in Juuce shock treatment (the most amazing conditioning product I have ever used). And after an hour and a blow dry, my hair was softer than ever and there was no damage or split ends.

This product will remove all trace of moisture and whatever other oils and protein treatments you usually use, so expect to need to replace all of that once you have rinsed it out.

My hair did not reoxidise overnight. I think you need to rinse longer than the 5 minutes stated on the box. Use a timer!

Overall I'm impressed with the amount of colour it removed considering it was semipermanent. My hair didn't feel damaged like it would after a bleach bath. If I found myself in a sticky hair colour situation again I would definitely use this product.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Works very well. My natural color is a level 5, med/light brown which I had been dyeing intensely red for a number of years with L'Oreal Hicolor dyes("red hot" an intensely red base). Getting ready to drive across the country to move to the Tacoma area, I decided I wanted a trendy galaxy hair. I began to de-reddify my hair by switching to a clarifying shampoo, and shampooing every other day to begin stripping out that red tone. Then every day. Then I did a vitamin c "natural" color remover treatment. Nothin'. I knew that I was going to need to do a real color remover to get the red out enough to bleach. I was hesitant about using this. I shouldn't have been. Worked like an absolute dream. It smelled, but not nearly as bad or as strongly as I had been expecting. I rinsed like a maniac, and washed my hair three times with some Trader Joes peppermint tea tree shampoo and then a good moisturizing conditioner- my hair is a golden blonde which I would guess was a level 7. It stripped all the red out and left me with just the hi lifted hair underneath. I have decided to use the next couple of days for co-washing to ensure my moisture is replenished, and I want to do an Aphogee protein pack before I bleach, but my hair is soft and still has shine- I am not worried AT ALL about a round of bleaching, and feels certain I'll be able to pull all the way to a platinum.

Class Action Lawsuit is currently being filed against this product I heard.

I talked with the Jherri Redding company and I was told they sold this product to a company that uses their name, and that company changed the chemicals that are used.

I was told to IMMEDIATLY wash the color off my hair, to NOT use the peroxide rinse, and to wait at least a MONTH before getting my hair colored at a salon.

I used this stuff and my most of my dark hair color that went away magically with the first use, CAME BACK! A week later, my hair was dark again. I'm not kidding. I wish the rotten egg smell from this stuff went away that fast too. The rotten egg smell from the product lasted in my hair for WEEKS! It was AWFUL! If your hair gets just a bit damp, you'll smell the rotten egg smell. The smell goes away (thank GOD) when it's dry.

My hair is SUPER damaged looking. It's awful ... would NOT RECOMMEND this product.
I used it becuase of all the glowing reviews on here ...

Go to a salon PLEASE. It's not worth it. I so wish I had.

My hair is SO DAMAGED I feel like I need a SUPER SHORT BOB!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This is the most effective way to remove permanent color. I've user this product twice, once to to take out black dye and another time to take out red dye. The fisrt time it left me with a nice copper color (some people might describe it as brassy but it's not that bad), the second time it left me with a very light blonde color in the front and light brown in the back. The reason why it was so light was because I had bleached my hair before I colored it red. I did not use the processing lotion, and I suggest you don't either. Thoroughly wash and rinse your hair several times so your hair doesn't turn dark again. Wait at least a week before re-coloring or any other chemical process.

Let me start by saying my hair is super fine and thin. Okay, so I've been dying my hair red for the past 5 years or so, and there was only one time in that time span where I let my hair fade out. Recently, about 2-3 months ago, I dyed it BRIGHT red. Like cherry tomato red. I got tired of that a month later, and tried to put a brown over it, but it was still just dark red. After 5 years of red hair, I decided I was just done with it. Since my hair is so fine and easily broken, bleach was NOT an option for me. I did some research, went to Sally's, and got this recommended to me. I knew the pros and cons people talked about, and I decided it was worth the try. The biggest con of all, I had heard, was the smell. People say the smell is absolutely atrocious, and I really thought people were exaggerating, but let me tell you.. it STINKS. Absolutely smells of nothing but strong sulfur. Yes, disgusting, but that does make this product any less amazing. So I had dark red hair, and was expecting this to lift the color to a light orange at best. After the first application, my hair was bright golden blonde. I was amazed! After the second application, it's still a yellow/golden blonde, just a bit lighter than before. Again, fine hair here and I have a big problem with damage most of the time, but even with two applications in a row, this did little to no damage at all. To sum it up: It smells like death, but it lifts color unbelievably well, and did no damage to my hair at all. I'm in love, and next time I have a color I need to get out, this is what I'm going for, the smell is something I can deal with. Definitely recommend!!!!

I am an avid hair colourist and I often do a pretty good job. I have done some scary bleaching here and there and thought to myself I do NOT want to bleach. I also just purchased extensions and my hair was a shade or two darker. This stuff was amazing. It smells like rotting humans but it's a obviously due to a chemical reaction. It's straight up rotten eggs. It's easy to apply and you get a lot of product. I left it on for 20 mins at first, then applied hot air from my hair dryer for the last 15 minutes. That is a little longer than suggested but I'm glad I did it. The heat absolutely amplifies the lightening process. I had platinum streaks underneath 5N/4N ish. I know..."ish". Anyway, I'm not blonde afterwards but I nice light golden brown. I even had my hair dye mixture made up without really looking at it and I didn't need to dye my hair. Huge success. It matches my extensions shockingly. I must add, it will not touch your natural hair colour. If you have roots they will stay the same. Only hair that has been dyed with a permanent dye will lift. Good
Luck!

on 3/21/2015 10:40:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I am a licensed stylist of 19 years. I don't know why I have never tried a color stripper , probably because I was always led to believe they are just the same as bleach so why bother. HOWEVER this was not like bleach. My hair was a many times colored 5VR/3VR. Its spring I wanted to lighten it up for spring/summer as I usually do. I read MANY reviews and figured well what the heck, if it goes tragically wrong I can go dark and get a cute spring/summer cut. I followed the directions EXACYLY. Many people say they didn't do step 3 due to their hair darkening and this being just a ploy to make you buy another kit. I think if you rinse and rinse and over rinse you'll be just fine. I also believe there is the third step for a reason. RINSE AND USE IT! I truly couldn't believe how good my hair felt after. Yes it does feel a little dry but the difference in the amount of breakage compared to bleach was awesome. As in hardly any. After I used the stripper I put a protein filler on, dried my hair and colored it.LOVE IT! Highly recommend this product.