One 'n Only Jheri Redding Colorfix

One 'n Only  Jheri Redding Colorfix

I went to Sally's Beauty Supply to see if they had anything to take out the green in my hair, from a previous hair dying. I was told it'll take all of the green and possibly more out. As I was waiting to rinse it all out, it looked like it actually worked! My hair was actually blonde again! But as soon as I rinsed the colorfix out of my hair, IT WAS GREEN AGAIN! So I tried it again, AND ITS STILL GREEN. This is complete bogus, and I would not recommend this product. Also, the smell is gross.. I mean, I can handle it for a little bit, but when it lingers... And when I can smell it to the next day? That's just not okay.

on 6/13/2016 11:13:00 PM

This product isn't designed to remove semi-permanent hair colour, but that's what I had in my hair. It's designed to shrink hair colour molecules present in permanent oxidative dyes. Semi permanent hair colour is usually a combo of direct deposit and oxidative hair colour so if you're using this product to remove such a hair dye - don't expect it to remove every trace of colour. Even permanent hair dye can stain the cuticle and leave a funky colour.
A side note about hair color removal: this product won't leave you with your natural hair colour. Permanent hair colour works by opening the hair cuticle, removing some of your natural pigment and depositing the artificial colour. Hair that has been slightly lifted through permanent colouring will look either red, red/orange or orange depending on how dark the hair was to begin with. So expect very warm hair tones. (Unless your hair was bleached prior to the hair colour you're removing - then expect a much lighter result, but most likely it will still be on the warm side).
So this is a first step in colour correction, not a final one.

You get two bottles to mix together, plus a third which is the processing lotion. Gloves, applicator bottle/tint bowl are not included. Instructions are printed on the inside of the box.
The product stinks, but not as bad as other versions like ColorB4, thanks to the added frangrance. It's also much easier to apply than ColorB4 as its a thicker consistency.
I applied this to hair that had been previously washed with a clarifying shampoo (Redken cleansing cream) and naturally dried - no conditioner.
After application, I left it on for 40 minutes (double the recommended processing time). I then rinsed for 10 minutes and shampooed for 5.
I then reapplied to towel dried hair and left it on for a further 40mins. I then rinsed and washed again in the same manner as the first time. It took my hair from a level 5 dark brown and left it a lovely level 7 dark copper blonde.
*I did not use the processing lotion! This will reoxidise any colour that hasn't been rinsed from the hair. I chose not to use it, planning to wash my hair each day and give the molecules a chance to wash out. Any remaining molecules will reoxidise themselves over a period of about a week - so the rinsing step is really important.

It did leave my hair feeling very rough when wet, like I had been washing it with dishwashing detergent. So after the final rinse I packed my hair with Keune moisture and protein treatment, and then after rinsing that I smothered it in Juuce shock treatment (the most amazing conditioning product I have ever used). And after an hour and a blow dry, my hair was softer than ever and there was no damage or split ends.

This product will remove all trace of moisture and whatever other oils and protein treatments you usually use, so expect to need to replace all of that once you have rinsed it out.

My hair did not reoxidise overnight. I think you need to rinse longer than the 5 minutes stated on the box. Use a timer!

Overall I'm impressed with the amount of colour it removed considering it was semipermanent. My hair didn't feel damaged like it would after a bleach bath. If I found myself in a sticky hair colour situation again I would definitely use this product.

To Read all 88 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Works very well. My natural color is a level 5, med/light brown which I had been dyeing intensely red for a number of years with L'Oreal Hicolor dyes("red hot" an intensely red base). Getting ready to drive across the country to move to the Tacoma area, I decided I wanted a trendy galaxy hair. I began to de-reddify my hair by switching to a clarifying shampoo, and shampooing every other day to begin stripping out that red tone. Then every day. Then I did a vitamin c "natural" color remover treatment. Nothin'. I knew that I was going to need to do a real color remover to get the red out enough to bleach. I was hesitant about using this. I shouldn't have been. Worked like an absolute dream. It smelled, but not nearly as bad or as strongly as I had been expecting. I rinsed like a maniac, and washed my hair three times with some Trader Joes peppermint tea tree shampoo and then a good moisturizing conditioner- my hair is a golden blonde which I would guess was a level 7. It stripped all the red out and left me with just the hi lifted hair underneath. I have decided to use the next couple of days for co-washing to ensure my moisture is replenished, and I want to do an Aphogee protein pack before I bleach, but my hair is soft and still has shine- I am not worried AT ALL about a round of bleaching, and feels certain I'll be able to pull all the way to a platinum.

Class Action Lawsuit is currently being filed against this product I heard.

I talked with the Jherri Redding company and I was told they sold this product to a company that uses their name, and that company changed the chemicals that are used.

I was told to IMMEDIATLY wash the color off my hair, to NOT use the peroxide rinse, and to wait at least a MONTH before getting my hair colored at a salon.

I used this stuff and my most of my dark hair color that went away magically with the first use, CAME BACK! A week later, my hair was dark again. I'm not kidding. I wish the rotten egg smell from this stuff went away that fast too. The rotten egg smell from the product lasted in my hair for WEEKS! It was AWFUL! If your hair gets just a bit damp, you'll smell the rotten egg smell. The smell goes away (thank GOD) when it's dry.

My hair is SUPER damaged looking. It's awful ... would NOT RECOMMEND this product.
I used it becuase of all the glowing reviews on here ...

Go to a salon PLEASE. It's not worth it. I so wish I had.

My hair is SO DAMAGED I feel like I need a SUPER SHORT BOB!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This is the most effective way to remove permanent color. I've user this product twice, once to to take out black dye and another time to take out red dye. The fisrt time it left me with a nice copper color (some people might describe it as brassy but it's not that bad), the second time it left me with a very light blonde color in the front and light brown in the back. The reason why it was so light was because I had bleached my hair before I colored it red. I did not use the processing lotion, and I suggest you don't either. Thoroughly wash and rinse your hair several times so your hair doesn't turn dark again. Wait at least a week before re-coloring or any other chemical process.

Let me start by saying my hair is super fine and thin. Okay, so I've been dying my hair red for the past 5 years or so, and there was only one time in that time span where I let my hair fade out. Recently, about 2-3 months ago, I dyed it BRIGHT red. Like cherry tomato red. I got tired of that a month later, and tried to put a brown over it, but it was still just dark red. After 5 years of red hair, I decided I was just done with it. Since my hair is so fine and easily broken, bleach was NOT an option for me. I did some research, went to Sally's, and got this recommended to me. I knew the pros and cons people talked about, and I decided it was worth the try. The biggest con of all, I had heard, was the smell. People say the smell is absolutely atrocious, and I really thought people were exaggerating, but let me tell you.. it STINKS. Absolutely smells of nothing but strong sulfur. Yes, disgusting, but that does make this product any less amazing. So I had dark red hair, and was expecting this to lift the color to a light orange at best. After the first application, my hair was bright golden blonde. I was amazed! After the second application, it's still a yellow/golden blonde, just a bit lighter than before. Again, fine hair here and I have a big problem with damage most of the time, but even with two applications in a row, this did little to no damage at all. To sum it up: It smells like death, but it lifts color unbelievably well, and did no damage to my hair at all. I'm in love, and next time I have a color I need to get out, this is what I'm going for, the smell is something I can deal with. Definitely recommend!!!!

I am an avid hair colourist and I often do a pretty good job. I have done some scary bleaching here and there and thought to myself I do NOT want to bleach. I also just purchased extensions and my hair was a shade or two darker. This stuff was amazing. It smells like rotting humans but it's a obviously due to a chemical reaction. It's straight up rotten eggs. It's easy to apply and you get a lot of product. I left it on for 20 mins at first, then applied hot air from my hair dryer for the last 15 minutes. That is a little longer than suggested but I'm glad I did it. The heat absolutely amplifies the lightening process. I had platinum streaks underneath 5N/4N ish. I know..."ish". Anyway, I'm not blonde afterwards but I nice light golden brown. I even had my hair dye mixture made up without really looking at it and I didn't need to dye my hair. Huge success. It matches my extensions shockingly. I must add, it will not touch your natural hair colour. If you have roots they will stay the same. Only hair that has been dyed with a permanent dye will lift. Good

on 3/21/2015 10:40:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I am a licensed stylist of 19 years. I don't know why I have never tried a color stripper , probably because I was always led to believe they are just the same as bleach so why bother. HOWEVER this was not like bleach. My hair was a many times colored 5VR/3VR. Its spring I wanted to lighten it up for spring/summer as I usually do. I read MANY reviews and figured well what the heck, if it goes tragically wrong I can go dark and get a cute spring/summer cut. I followed the directions EXACYLY. Many people say they didn't do step 3 due to their hair darkening and this being just a ploy to make you buy another kit. I think if you rinse and rinse and over rinse you'll be just fine. I also believe there is the third step for a reason. RINSE AND USE IT! I truly couldn't believe how good my hair felt after. Yes it does feel a little dry but the difference in the amount of breakage compared to bleach was awesome. As in hardly any. After I used the stripper I put a protein filler on, dried my hair and colored it.LOVE IT! Highly recommend this product.

on 2/9/2015 1:13:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Some things to start with that other reviewers have gone over (and reviewers from other sites have mentioned)

1) This is only meant to be used on PERMANENT COLOUR. People have had luck with it with semi, demi, henna, and vegan (i.e Manic Panic, Special Effects) colours, but you are taking a chance with these as the product was not designed to be used with them. If it doesn't work on them, it's because it's really not supposed to. It won't change the colour of virgin hair (hair that hasn't been dyed) at all.

2) Step 3 should ONLY re-darken hair if you didn't fully rinse out the actual colour remover thoroughly. This step is to show where there is still dye left so you can do another application if necessary. If you applied and rinsed thoroughly, step 3 will just act as a very mild toner. If you don't use step 3 and didn't rinse thoroughly enough, your hair is going to re-darken over the next few days anyways. Step 3 just speeds this process so you can see where the colour didn't lift as much so you can do a second processing if necessary. I find dying right after colorfix gives a darker result. I like to wait a couple weeks before adding colour after removing old stuff. Gives time to condition and do a little protein filling.

3) As this is for use with permanent colour, it won't restore your hair back to your EXACT natural colour. All permanent colours are going to contain some form of developer, even if it's only mild, which slightly lightens the hair so the new colour can be deposited properly. What this product will do is remove the colour. You're hair will likely end up a tad lighter and a little brassier than your natural colour due to the effects of the developer from the permanent dye.

For me, this product did exactly what it is supposed to do. Removed built up permanent dye from my hair. I'm naturally somewhere around a level 8-9 ash blonde. I've been dying my hair a dark burgandy for about 6 months. Loved the colour, but because my natural colour is so much lighter and my hair grows fast, I was having to re-dye every 3 weeks to keep up with the root growth, as it was always super obvious when they would start to grow out. I decided I was sick of the hassle and the mess (red dye seriously runs forever), so I wanted to get back to my natural colour to not have to mess with root touch-ups all the time.

I've bleached previously (dark, dark brown back to almost natural with lots of toning and some dye-overs), so I knew how bad that would fry my hair. Colour remover seemed to be the better option. This stuff had good reviews so I grabbed 2 boxes from Sally's.

One of my first favourite things about this product is the amount you get. I was able to do a full colour correction on my whole head with one package. I have a ton of hair. I'm the girl that needs to buy 3-4 boxes of dye when I need to do my whole head, so to only need one package was awesome.

Yes, it smells. It smells like a perm. If you've ever been to a salon that offers perms, you'll immediately recognize the smell. It's not pleasant (think hard boiled eggs mixed with car exhaust), but it's tolerable. I actually prefer it to the scent of some ammonia-based colours I've used. It's going to linger in your house for a few hours, so don't do it before you have guests over and you should be fine.

I split my hair in half vertically, then sectioned it horizontally, making sure to saturate all hair evenly and thoroughly. Then I clipped it up in a loose bun, wrapped my hair in plastic so the product wouldn't dry out, and let it sit. I left it in for about 40 minutes while I did dishes, then 20 more minutes with a blow dryer with a diffuser.

Rinsing is fun. As I mentioned above, you need to make sure you rinse thoroughly, or your hair will re-oxidize the remaining dye and your hair will darken. Seriously. Rinse A LOT. Rinse till you think you're done, then rinse for 15 more minutes. After rinsing, I washed twice with Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo. Any clarifying shampoo should do the trick. By now, my hair is really brassy, but about the same level as my natural colour

I rung out the water and did a strand test with the processing "lotion" (which is more the consistency of water. Should be called "processing solution" or something :/). I strongly recommend a strand test with Step 3 because if you haven't rinsed enough, it will undo all the work you've already done. If you notice the hair starts to darken, hop back in the shower and keep rinsing. I didn't see any darkening going on (left it 10 minutes just to be sure), so I proceeded to apply it to my whole head and let it sit for the recommended 10 minutes.

Hop back in shower, rinse out step 3. Notice my hair is less brassy than before applying it, but no darker, so that's cool. Shampoo with my normal shampoo, then apply a hair mask for 10 minutes. Towel dry, argan oil on ends, all done.

Now it's almost dry and I can see the true colour and condition. My hair is a little dry, but I think that might be more from the anti-residue shampoo, as it tends to dry out my hair. The colour is still very warm. Somewhere in the realm of very light ginger, or extremely golden blonde. However, it's the exact shade of my natural colour. Once I do a little toning to get rid of the residual brassiness, I expect it's going to be pretty darn close to my natural colour. Considering I went so light from so dark, I was expecting there to be brassiness left over from the developer, and it's much less than I expected.

Overall, I really do like this product. It did exactly as it advertised it would, at a decent price, and didn't completely kill my hair For now, I'm retiring from hair colouring, but I will definitely keep this in mind if its services are ever needed again, and won't hesitate to recommend it to others

on 12/2/2014 12:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

6/24/2016: I've been using this (when needed) over the past couple of years and it's still my favorite. Since I skip step 3 without any issues, it's truly damage-free.

One n Only recently reformulated to add argan oil to the ingredient list. I was a step ahead of them ages ago as you can tell by my review since I insisted that people try applying oil beforehand. And now...they include oil in it. I still definitely apply it additionally before this because the amount of argan oil One n Only uses is pretty minimal. When I used it recently I noticed that the awful egg smell is less potent now that they've included argan oil. It still stinks but One n Only really can't override this issue because it's due to the sulfur (which shrinks dye molecules). You might think they could add a ton of fragrance to mask it but that would only mix with the odor. Please take my advice below if you are having issues with the smell of this.
Why is this under the 'brand' of Jheri Redding? The company that makes Colorfix is actually One N Only. Putting it under the improper brand makes it nearly impossible for newbies to find this.

Anyways, I have had to remove dye from my bleached hair many, many times over the years. Because I never learn my lesson about the fact I am ugly with dark hair.

Here are some tips I learned through experience and wish someone had told me from the get go. Maybe this will save some of you going through a hairdye disaster.

1. Colorfix does the best job in my experience of all the color removers out there. It says it will only work for pemanent dye. It wont remove demi, or temporary color. That is due to the dye molecule size. But that's not true. I have gotten fushia manic panic out with one try, along with demi dye on other occasion.

2. DO NOT DO STEP 3. The 3rd bottle, 'processing lotion'. If you go through reviews youll find a ton of ppl complain of their hair redarkening after this step. It sometimes does reverse everything. This is again, due to dye molecules. Also, the 3rd bottle has peroxide in it. I learned my lesson after the first time and now always just throw that bottle out. Way less damaging, and no chance of it undoing everything.

3. Apply it to damp hair. I didnt realize this until the 6th time I used Colorfix. Applying it to damp hair makes it soooo much easier to coat all of your hair.

4. The rotten egg smell. Many people suggest using coffee grounds to remove it. Ive tried that, had very minimal results. Using baking soda has been the best solution ive found to remove the stench. I apply a handful to my hair for 10 min, let it sit, then wash out.

5. Follow up with a deep conditioner. The active ingredient in colorfix isnt damaging (its Sulfur) but it is very (temporarily) drying. I love Neutrogena Triple Moisture masque as a quick fix and ION Keratin Dry Oil as a leave in conditioner.

6. Wait at least a week, with several shampooings and conditionings in between, before using any dye that involves having to use developer. Again, this has to do with dye molecules. If you don't take my advice, there is a chance that when you go to dye it (too soon, within a week) your hair won't take to the new shade you are trying to apply, and it'll just redarken to the shade you *just tried to remove*.

EDIT: I had to use this once again last night after my bleached porous hair turned purple in some spots due to a toning disaster. Colorfix to the rescue! I wanted to add another helpful tip.

It helps if you do a hot oil treatment right before applying this. I experimented with this last night and WOW the results were incredible. I noted before that i realized applying this to lightly damp hair helps a bunch with getting it to even distribute through my hair. And that still rings true, but, having an oil treatment in my hair allowed the sulfur to get the dye molecules out......without clinging to my hair for dear life. My hair is very soft this morning and there is 0 nasty rotten egg odor.

I believe I've really gotten the hang of this. Awesome product.