Freeman Banana-Oat Instant Smoothing Mask

Freeman Banana-Oat Instant Smoothing Mask
Banana-Oat Instant Smoothing MaskBanana-Oat Instant Smoothing MaskBanana-Oat Instant Smoothing MaskBanana-Oat Instant Smoothing MaskBanana-Oat Instant Smoothing Mask

2.2

Not tested on animals

Water/Aqua/Eau, Sodium Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate, Glycerin, Lactic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Musa Sapientum (Banana) Fruit Extract, Avena Sative (Oat) Extract, Glycolic Acid, Arginine, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Extract, Macrocystis Pyrifera Extract, Nasturtium Officinale Extract, Aleurites Moluccana Extract, Juglans Regia (Walnut) Shell Powder, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Extract, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract, Psidium Guajava Fruit Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Maranta Arundinacea Root Extract, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Propylene Glycol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Potassium Sorbate, Aminomethyl Propanol, Sodium Benzoate, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance (Parfum), Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Red 40 (CI 16035)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is just an ordinary, no-frills AHA mask. I have no idea why some reviews speak as if this mask started World War III. If you follow the instructions and perform a patch test prior to use, you can easily avoid any potential disasters. AHA is a potent ingredient not to be taken lightly; even if you don't have sensitive skin, this one might still make you react the first few uses.

With that said, I'm not rating this product highly because it doesn't do anything different from a chemical peel and I'd rather use up my "mask time" with something more special and beneficial in the long term.

on 1/2/2017 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

At first I hated this stuff. It does turn your face very red and leave a sunburned look for quite a few hours after. But it does smooth out your skin quite a bit. I originally bought it hoping it would help with clogged pores (which it didn't help as much as I hoped) but now use it for flaking skin and lightening scars. I have used Mychelle's Incredible Pumpkin Peel and Andalou Naturals Pumpkin Honey Glycolic Mask and those are $30 a pop while I paid $3 for Freeman's. With the other two I didn't notice any change what so ever. And with this, while it does turn your face red, at least you know it's doing something and your face looks smooth and radiant the next day.
Other people have commented and this is really painful and irritating. I didn't find this to be overwhelming but it may be because I've been using Neostrata's 10% Glycolic Lotion for about 2 years so I may have a tolerance to AHA.
Tip: Best time to do this is when you don't have anywhere to be. Like after work so you have the rest of evening and all night to be embarrassingly red.

on 11/30/2016 11:10:00 PM

Because of my older (54yo), sensitive skin I can't use physical exfoliant and scrubs. I overused those in my younger years and am now paying the price with damaged sensitive skin. I purchased this mask on a whim to try out the AHA chemical exfoliant --something to use once in a while. I love it. No granules. Just a soft banana scented gel like banana taffy.

I highly recommend doing a sensitivity test first. Some skins can't handle the alpha hydroxy acid. For me, it's a mild enough strength that my skin can take it. Again, this is a chemical exfoliant, so don't expect granules or a scrub-like textured product.

By the way I use this mask in the evening. After double-cleansing I spread on a thin layer and wait seven minutes. Then I rinse it off with warm water, followed by my regular moisturizer, etc. Not a huge miracle worker, but it does smooth my skin and help give it a good feel. I use it maybe once every three weeks when my skin needs an extra boost.

I like that this is affordable, too! Good value!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Virtually every negative review of this product can be attributed to ignorance and, clearly, an unwillingness to READ THE DIRECTIONS... which, sadly, is extremely common with pretty much everything, and I happen to find it immensely irritating.

This mask contains AHAs, (says it on the packaging, people... lactic acid, glycolic acid) which are chemical exfoliants, and can be much gentler than a scrub, if used properly (no micro tears in the skin)! Frankly, I was pleasantly surprised to find them fairly high up on the ingredients list in such an inexpensive product. Anyway, if the naysayers had bothered to read the warning on the packaging, they'd realise it mentions doing a patch test first if you've never used AHAs before, that redness/a warm feeling is to be expected, to use sunscreen when going out after using an AHA, etc.

As for actually using the mask, and my results, I do find my skin is a bit smoother after using this, and I've slapped it on a few times already. The directions mention leaving it on for a MAXIMUM of 7 minutes, though if you have sensitive skin like mine, around 5 would probably be better, and remember to rinse well!. It also smells GREAT and makes me wish I had some banana candy right now! Ah, one last thing: use this before bed and not in the morning, so the redness has time to vanish.

Ultimately, there is nothing misleading here in the least, despite what others have said. In this case, the fault clearly lies with the consumer and user error, not the product in question.

on 8/10/2016 10:05:00 PM

I'm no stranger to chemical exfoliating products and my skin can handle a lot. But this stuff made eyes burn like Satan's ass. I mean it was awful. I kept it on for about 3 minutes. My skin was slightly red, so I'm sure had I left it on longer things would've been terrible. My eyes were red and watery. And my eyes aren't sensitive. Overall, a crap experience. I've never used anything that made my eyes feel like this. Be careful with this mask. I'd completely avoid it.

Literally NEVER had any product affect my skin so much. And yes, I read the directions.. it says to leave on for up to 7 mins and I actually had to rinse after about 4. Left my skin extremely red and irritated. Safe to say I will NEVER purchase this product again and if I were you I would stay away from it unless you want to end up with a red hot buying face!

on 7/18/2016 1:27:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

So, I bought a single-use package from CVS, *because* I noticed it was and AHA mask. Now, I've used AHA creams and serums before, and I'm aware of its potency. That being said, I didn't patch test because I knew my skin had been exposed to AHA and BHA exfoliators and was tolerant of it. If you have not used a product with AHA before, PATCH TEST.

I had it sitting in my drawer for a few weeks, and pulled it out this morning because I had a late night the night before and had fallen asleep in my makeup. I knew my skin would need some rehab. I washed my face, and put this on. The package contained much more than one use, but I squeezed it all out and ended up wasting a lot. I popped it on my face, and there wasn't any burning or stinging. My eyes watered a bit from the "banana" fragrance (smells like banana runts) but my eyes are really sensitive to fragrance. I left it on for about 5-6 minutes, and washed it off with lukewarm water. No stinging, no burning, just some slight redness, which always happens when I wash my face (I'm very fair and my skin gets red easily).

My skin felt *so* soft when I was done. I patted in some Clinique Moisture Surge Gel (my HG) and honestly, my face feels great. I immediately went on Amazon to order the full-sized bottle to have on hand.

Please, don't let the bad reviews scare you off. READ the package AND patch test if you've never used AHAs before. This mask does exactly what it claims to do.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I saw the previous review and realized I forgot to review this. Stay away if your skin gets irritated!!!! My skin turned bright red almost immediately after use. I put wash cloths on ice cubes on my face after use to sooth it then even added aloe vera to see if it would help and my face was irritated for two days :(

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This product is EXTREMELY misleading! There should be giant warning labels on the front of it. I've used so many different kinds of face masks, from Freeman, Sephora, L'Occitane, you name it, and my skin has NEVER taken a reaction like this. The product package recommends to leave the mask on for no more than 7 minutes, so I left it on for 5 and rinsed it off thoroughly. It felt fine while it was on, and I followed it with moisturizer just as the package recommended. The next day I went to work and my face started to itch like crazy. I went in the bathroom and saw dry, red, raised patches of skin on both of my cheeks (see photos). When I got home, I washed my face and put moisturizer on to try and counteract whatever was bothering my skin, but those awful patches were still there. No matter how much I moisturize, they still feel dry. It feels and looks as if I got a chemical burn on my face. I will admit I have sensitive skin, which is why I only bought the single use packet. Thank goodness I did, because I will never be using it again! Anyone with even remotely sensitive skin DO NOT use this product!

on 4/4/2016 11:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Okay, some of the reviews for this are extravagantly rude and negative. It's honestly not that bad of a mask. It smells great, has a gel like consistency, and gave me a radiant glow. It did not burn my skin like other reviewers claimed. if anything, it actually soothed my skin. i didn't find that it did anything for my skin after extended use. It's fun but not effective