L'Oreal Excellence Age Perfect

L'Oreal Excellence Age Perfect

3.0

on 8/12/2017 10:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

6n light soft golden brown. I'd over toned my extremely pale platinum hair and it looked old dingy and grey almost greenish in certain lighting. I was just looking for a garnier or L'Oréal (my 2 faves) sale dye in a slightly darker youthful looking shade. I eventually want to go back dark brown but baby steps here. I've never used the age variety which is specially for greys but I like regular excellence, this was on sale and there was a $2 off coupon on it. I left it on only 20 min. It came out a little ashier and paler than the box but is a pretty natural dark blonde, kinda like my little kids' colors and my natural color as I kid til it darkened up. Recommend. Oh it had 20 volume. Conditioner smells as work great!

on 11/18/2016 6:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Have been using this for about six months. At first was working well, in the sense that color was lasting longer on my resistant grays. But have notice a lot of breakage. Lots. And the color is becoming way too dark, with a build up on crown. Pulling orange/brass although using 8N. Revlon's Colorsilk never broke hair off. Very disappointed as aging isn't fun to begin with, and products just don't work as well as they should on older skin and hair. 'sigh'

on 8/10/2016 12:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

A truly terrible product and it did not do one thing that it advertised on the outside of the box. I have medium dark hair with a few white hairs and I only color my hair a couple of times a year because 98% of my hair is my natural color.

The box advertised - layered tone, flattering color, radiant color, full of highlights, specifically developed for mature gray hair., which fits my age bracket.

The color I chose was 6N, light soft golden brown. The pictures all emphasized these beautiful highlights. My hair turned darker than it already was and is all one color. Not ANY highlights in sight. It is also quite red which is unexpected from the description and pictures on the box of the hair color. I can live with that as I know red tends to wash out of hair in the first couple of weeks after coloring.

The few grays/whites I have did not take the color at all. That is what makes me dislike this hair color the most. That's the only reason I use hair color.

I will never buy this hair color again in any shade. The claims this hair color makes are completely deceptive,

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I've been looking for a long lasting grey coverage that will give a multi-toned affect. Usually you either have to choose between a semi-perm or add highlights to a permanent color. Previous highlighting escapades have resulted in a crayola effect (I've got a heavy hand with a highlighting wand), so I've been sticking to semi-permanent colors, which add tone to the outside of the strand so your greys look like highlights. I don't have grey on a huge portion of my hair, but the spots where I do have it cannot be hidden by my part.

All this backstory is to explain why I decided to try out the L'Oreal Age Perfect, and why I am maybe not the ideal candidate to use this color. There are pros and cons to the color, at least for me. Chief among the pros: I didn't lose much hair in the coloring process. Usually I can tell how harsh the formula is by how many strands come out in the shower during the rinse, and by that benchmark this formula is relatively mild, as advertised. Another pro: the brush! I love the little brush that comes with this kit. It did a much better job of blending out the dye in the spots I need it the most than any other tool I've used. Pro: the price is right. Better than right, even. Another pro: L'Oreal's apres color conditioner smells great and left my hair very soft. The developer didn't smell bad either, and it didn't burn my scalp.

A lot of reviews I've seen indicate this color pulls dark, so I got a shade two shades lighter than my roots (box kit color 101). It didn't pull too dark on me, but it did pull very red. I didn't pick a warm shade either, I picked a neutral light soft brown. I was surprised by the amount of red I could see after rinsing, and here's where I explain why I might not be the ideal candidate for this color: if you take a close look at the 'before' swatches you'll see that this is intended for people with hair liberally sprinkled with grey, not just with a few big locks of it here and there like I have. The multi-tonal effect is because it colors the resistant greys differently from the regular pigmented hair. If you have a high ratio of pigmented hair to grey, you're liable to get a surprise like what I got. Truthfully, I'm not too disappointed about that. I've worn red hair before, and I know someone who is going to be delighted that I accidentally dyed my hair red.

The real con for me is how messy this formula is. This is the kind of drippy formula that's a stealth drippiness, where you don't realize what a big mess you made until you come back into the bathroom after the timer buzzes and see all the splats everywhere. So, yeah. I won't kick this color out of bed, and I'd grab it again in a pinch, but for the sake of my bathroom tiles it won't be my HG.

Edit: I have now used this color on my mom, and can confirm it works differently on grey hair. She has a cloud puff of silver and white hair, and I have tried both the lightest neutral blonde and the light neutral blonde shades on her, and they both come out looking pretty much like the box. The lightest neutral blonde pulls a bit warm, and the light neutral blonde pulls a bit cool. So maybe the real problem is L'Oreal hasn't perfected how to get a true neutral in this formula yet. It still does a good job of leaving a natural looking color that doesn't damage hair.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Curly, Coarse

I've consistently used L'Oreal Excellence Creme #6 (light brown) and decided to give the Age Perfect series a try. I tested the darkest color in the line 6N - Light Soft Golden Brown.

My results were very good. I had about 2-3" of dark roots + a smattering of gray at the crown that I was trying to blend with my previously colored strands (which had become a bit faded/oxidized). The final color was not as light as the model on the box, but I'm fine with that. As stated, the color is layered/dimensional. Most of all, I'm impressed at how well everything is blended, and now, 3weeks in, my new growth is showing no obvious roots, a major bonus.

The kit comes with a 1.86oz tube of conditioner, which seems larger than those in the standard Excellence color kits (but I could be wrong). The conditioner has a good deal of slip & is keeping my tresses moisturized when I do a 30min heat treatment.

6N is probably going to be my new maintenance plan for the grays, but I also have 7G (Dark Soft Golden Blond) which I purchased based on reviews that the colors in this line tend to run dark.

Sidebar: I didn't use the comb that came with the kit - I had my own bowl & brush to use. I also ran 2 separate strand tests on some undergrowth (I've had "hot root" drama in the past - even with professional salon services). One root test at 30min, and one at 10min. The 30min test came out a bit too warm/brassy, but the 10min was better, so I adjusted my application, applying the color to the roots last, during the final 10min of processing time. Next time, I might extend to 15min to make sure the more resistant grays take to the color. YMMV, but my point being, do your strand tests.

Popular Hair Color Products