LANEIGE Water Sleeping Mask

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
LANEIGE Water Sleeping Mask

Butylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Cyclohexasiloxane, Trehalose, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Fruit Extract, Beta-Glucan, Castanea Sativa (Chestnut) Seed Extract, Salix Nigra (Willow) Bark Extract, Hydroxypropyl Bispalmitae MEA, Salicornia Herbacea Extract, 1,2-Hexanediol, Glycogen, Glutamic Acid, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethiconol, Lysine HCl, Magnesium Sulfate, Mannitol, Manganese Sulfate, Serine, Sucrose, Stearyl Behenate, Citrulline, Alanine, Arginine, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Ethylhexylglycerin, Inulin Lauryl Carbamate, Zinc Sulfate, Caprylyl Glycol, Threonine, Polyglyceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate, Polysorbate 20, Propanediol, PCA, Histidine HCl, Carbomer, Tromethamine, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, Blue 1 (CI 42090).

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I have literally read thru all the reviews to see how others are using this Sleeping Mask because there seems to be some confusion to its actual properties. When used alone, this mask will not benefit your skin at all. It is designed to optimize what moisture your skin currently has the next morning. It is listed in the instructional pamphlet in the first paragraph as an "intensive moisturizing sleeping mask" and I think therein lies the confusion. If you stop reading there, you won't reap the benefits of the product.
The pamphlet discusses how "Skin loses a lot of moisture overnight if no skincare product is applied to it at night. The Sleeping Mask is a moisturizing sleeping mask that charges skin with the moisture needed overnight." What the pamphlet fails to continue to explain is that a lot of what we put on our faces at night is rubbed off on our pillowcases unless we sleep on our backs and don't move at all. (I don't know anyone that doesn't move in their sleep.) So no matter how much of the good stuff we put on, and yes, there is a theory that after the first 15-20 minutes the absorbtion rate is greatly reduced and your skin doesn't respond to anymore of the product anyway, much of the product goes onto our lovely satin pillowcases.
This product holds our normal serum/essence/refiner/emulsion/etc. in so they don't rub off. It acts like a seal on top of the other normal products that you would be putting on in the evening. For that, and that alone, I give it a 5-Star rating. I have never had a product that worked like that to keep a product on my face and off my pillows.
As to the additional claims that are from the enclosed Laniege pamphlet:
1. "The Sleeping Mask is a moisturizing sleeping mask that charges skin with the moisture needed overnight." The pamphlet tells me to apply the mask after skin refiner and emulsion are applied. Usually emulsion is towards the end of the routine so I already have a number of moisturizing products on my skin. Adding this sleeping mask for additional moisture seems redundant but perhaps something is lost in the translation, I'm not sure. If you have seriously dry skin, it works. If your skin is oily, I'd say cut back on some moisturizer, but not all of your products. Play around to see which work best, but always use your normal routine skincare as usual before this mask.
2. "The anti-oxidant function of apricot extract provides a brightening effect and makes skin look clear and bright by removing free radicals that give stress to skin." Haven't noticed any brightening effect that my Vitamin C doesn't take care of better.
3. "The various effective sleeping care ingredients absorbed into skin overnight help skin absorb makeup the following morning." That's a huge claim that I really won't comment about. I don't use a lot of make-up anyway and I wouldn't want my skin to absorb makeup because I'm using such a heavy load. I get what they're saying but I prefer a natural look with a lighter hand to show fresher skin. Isn't that the point of skin care products?
4. "Helps skin have a good rest, provides moisturizing feel without leaving any sticky residue." It isn't sticky, I'll agree with that. My skin looks decent in the morning, I'm happy with the results, I always get compliments on my skin, so whatever I'm doing (a crazy mix of products and techniques) seems to work. Once it dries, and it does dry quickly, I don't even know it's on my face. Big plus there. No gooey stuff, no greasy mess.
The smell is almost non-existent to me. I keep my jar in the fridge and always use a scoop to get the product out. The huge jar is lasting me a half a year so far and it's half-empty at this point so it's a good deal. As a stand-alone moisturizer it fails because that's not what it is. As a mask on top of other products, it works. As a protectant to keep my pillowcase clean and keep my other skincare products on my face, it excels. For that reason, I would re-purchase. I'd advise getting a sample or purchasing a trial-size first and using it the proper way to see if it works for you. Laneige suggests once or twice a week, but I've used it more often than that. They also suggest not using eye care products with this but I feel eye care is essential, just my humble opinion.

on 11/3/2018 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This provides a good amount of hydration and does not irritate or clog my skin. It doesn't do anything miraculous but is a nice, reliable product.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Normally I would really enjoy a good humectant, hydrating over-night mask, which looking at the ingredients list this seems to be, but it's so highly fragranced I couldn't in good conscience recommend it to anyone. I was so excited to try it based on hype in the beauty community but was let down as soon as I opened my sample. It's really overwhelming; something I'd expect from a brand like Chanel, or Guerlain. It could very well be great, and does have gold-standard hydrating ingredients, but it is beyond me as to why a skincare company would include fragrance in something that is supposed to sit on your face all night.

on 6/28/2018 11:06:00 PM

I was a little confused when reading other reviews that sounded like this product was a moisturizer. I use it as stated, as a mask. I followed the instructions, cleansing, applying my normal serums or moisturizers, let those sit about 20-30 min, then apply a thin layer of the mask. Then I'd tap on the eye mask. They dry down rather quickly to a smooth finish. The mask effectively seals in the mousture your skin would normally lose to dry air, evaporation & bedding. That seal, for me also seemed to allow my other products, including acne spot treatments, to work without being rubbed off. I woke up, washed with Cetaphil and found my skin soft & hydrated. I hate daytime moisturizer & these results made me think I could skip it. Oh, I use it way too often...maybe 5 days a week so I may drop that to 3 times. No fresh breakouts for my 51 yr old combo skin and I did not note any major unpleasant fragrance issue.
Worked for me. Same fail grade on the packaging as everyone--No Pots Everrrr!
Just noting--not a moisturizer, a mask🙂

on 11/12/2017 8:24:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I find this product to be the best of the sleep masks I have tried. I suggest that you let it dry so it is not so sticky. I was not impressed when I woke up, but when I rinsed it off, my skin looked better, was soft and smooth. That was a plus for me. I am going to use it consistently through the winter. I reminds me of Neutrogena H2O moisturizers that are hyaluronic acid based. Again, jar packaging, so that is a downer.

If you read my review of Egyptian Magic you will see how I came to buy this item. I didn't need it, didn't particularly even know what it was but the cirumstances had my resistance to marketing reduced to nothing.
The upside is I am so glad I did buy it. Especially now I have had a couple of months to rehabilitate my credit card.
This mask is wonderfully cooling, hydrating and plumping. It feels delightful on.
You apply it liberally at night over your usual serum etc and wake up in the morning with dewy, non-irritated, very fresh looking skin.
This is a must to pack when travelling by air. I bought an additional travel sized pot as soon as I came home from my last trip and now it lives in my travel gear ready for the next call on it's super powers.
I gave it 4 lippies for value but I was so doped on airsickness pills and free champagne compared with the slight hysteria induced by that mythical thing-a free upgrade-I really can't remember how much it was. Not a huge amount and not super cheap. That's the best my fuzzy memory gets. Sorry.
I also bought the Eye Sleeping Mask and the Lip Sleeping Mask at the same time (amongst other things-cough). They are both great and well worth having.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really enjoy the Lip Sleeping Mask by Laneige so I wanted to get this as I have dry skin and figured it might me a good product to have in my skin care collection. I ended up purchasing the Hydration Trial Kit which came with a decent sized jar of this, a great way to introduce yourself to a product line without committing to any one product, especially those that are expensive. This one fell short of my expectations though. It has a nice cool gel cream texture but it is quite fragranced, and if anything I would think something with the word "water" in it's title would be lighter and fresher than what this smells like. I'd actually rather it smell like Davidoff's Cool Water than whatever is in this. Scent aside, texture is nice but... this is not really all that hydrating. I certainly do not wake up feeling like my skin is more plump or supple that when I use my regular moisturizer and other skin care products. I will use this up but won't repurchase.

on 2/6/2017 5:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I'm so disappointed with this product. It is my first try of Sleeping Masks and so far I'm underwhelmed. I found no difference in the morning whatsoever, but I will carry on using it in case it has long term effects and I've spent good money on it. I will not be repurchasing.

Update: I carried on using this and after one month of use I've finally seen results. I woke up and went wow my skin feels baby soft. Glad I carried on using it, but I did think the whole point was for immediate softness and plumpness. For this reason I will not repurchase but will use it up.

on 8/25/2016 6:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

as with almost all the Asian skincare I've used, this is great. I've been using sample packs, so there has been no problem with the consistency or freshness of the product. It is a watery gel that you slather with abandon to cleansed skin. Since my skin is dry, it feels like it is drinking this in- and sure enough- in the morning my skin is dew-y and I dont need any moisturizer or foundation. imho, worth the price.

Wowee!

I have been using this mask 3 times per week overnight after my regular skincare routine and my pores have shrunk, pimples last for less time, redness is diminished, my skin is more hydrated and smoother, and the circles under my eyes have diminished.

It has a light scent but it doesn't bother me. I wouldn't use this during the day as the scent would interfere with perfume but it works better the longer you use it so it's best on overnight anyway.

This stuff is magical.