LANEIGE Water Sleeping Mask

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
LANEIGE Water Sleeping Mask

3.9

Butylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Cyclohexasiloxane, Trehalose, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Fruit Extract, Beta-Glucan, Castanea Sativa (Chestnut) Seed Extract, Salix Nigra (Willow) Bark Extract, Hydroxypropyl Bispalmitae MEA, Salicornia Herbacea Extract, 1,2-Hexanediol, Glycogen, Glutamic Acid, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethiconol, Lysine HCl, Magnesium Sulfate, Mannitol, Manganese Sulfate, Serine, Sucrose, Stearyl Behenate, Citrulline, Alanine, Arginine, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Ethylhexylglycerin, Inulin Lauryl Carbamate, Zinc Sulfate, Caprylyl Glycol, Threonine, Polyglyceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate, Polysorbate 20, Propanediol, PCA, Histidine HCl, Carbomer, Tromethamine, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, Blue 1 (CI 42090).

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I have literally read thru all the reviews to see how others are using this Sleeping Mask because there seems to be some confusion to its actual properties. When used alone, this mask will not benefit your skin at all. It is designed to optimize what moisture your skin currently has the next morning. It is listed in the instructional pamphlet in the first paragraph as an "intensive moisturizing sleeping mask" and I think therein lies the confusion. If you stop reading there, you won't reap the benefits of the product.
The pamphlet discusses how "Skin loses a lot of moisture overnight if no skincare product is applied to it at night. The Sleeping Mask is a moisturizing sleeping mask that charges skin with the moisture needed overnight." What the pamphlet fails to continue to explain is that a lot of what we put on our faces at night is rubbed off on our pillowcases unless we sleep on our backs and don't move at all. (I don't know anyone that doesn't move in their sleep.) So no matter how much of the good stuff we put on, and yes, there is a theory that after the first 15-20 minutes the absorbtion rate is greatly reduced and your skin doesn't respond to anymore of the product anyway, much of the product goes onto our lovely satin pillowcases.
This product holds our normal serum/essence/refiner/emulsion/etc. in so they don't rub off. It acts like a seal on top of the other normal products that you would be putting on in the evening. For that, and that alone, I give it a 5-Star rating. I have never had a product that worked like that to keep a product on my face and off my pillows.
As to the additional claims that are from the enclosed Laniege pamphlet:
1. "The Sleeping Mask is a moisturizing sleeping mask that charges skin with the moisture needed overnight." The pamphlet tells me to apply the mask after skin refiner and emulsion are applied. Usually emulsion is towards the end of the routine so I already have a number of moisturizing products on my skin. Adding this sleeping mask for additional moisture seems redundant but perhaps something is lost in the translation, I'm not sure. If you have seriously dry skin, it works. If your skin is oily, I'd say cut back on some moisturizer, but not all of your products. Play around to see which work best, but always use your normal routine skincare as usual before this mask.
2. "The anti-oxidant function of apricot extract provides a brightening effect and makes skin look clear and bright by removing free radicals that give stress to skin." Haven't noticed any brightening effect that my Vitamin C doesn't take care of better.
3. "The various effective sleeping care ingredients absorbed into skin overnight help skin absorb makeup the following morning." That's a huge claim that I really won't comment about. I don't use a lot of make-up anyway and I wouldn't want my skin to absorb makeup because I'm using such a heavy load. I get what they're saying but I prefer a natural look with a lighter hand to show fresher skin. Isn't that the point of skin care products?
4. "Helps skin have a good rest, provides moisturizing feel without leaving any sticky residue." It isn't sticky, I'll agree with that. My skin looks decent in the morning, I'm happy with the results, I always get compliments on my skin, so whatever I'm doing (a crazy mix of products and techniques) seems to work. Once it dries, and it does dry quickly, I don't even know it's on my face. Big plus there. No gooey stuff, no greasy mess.
The smell is almost non-existent to me. I keep my jar in the fridge and always use a scoop to get the product out. The huge jar is lasting me a half a year so far and it's half-empty at this point so it's a good deal. As a stand-alone moisturizer it fails because that's not what it is. As a mask on top of other products, it works. As a protectant to keep my pillowcase clean and keep my other skincare products on my face, it excels. For that reason, I would re-purchase. I'd advise getting a sample or purchasing a trial-size first and using it the proper way to see if it works for you. Laneige suggests once or twice a week, but I've used it more often than that. They also suggest not using eye care products with this but I feel eye care is essential, just my humble opinion.

on 11/3/2018 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This provides a good amount of hydration and does not irritate or clog my skin. It doesn't do anything miraculous but is a nice, reliable product.

on 9/27/2018 12:33:00 PM

I apply this product after washing my face, before bed. It feels nice and cool when it goes on, and takes a few minutes to sink into the skin. Personally, I don't find the smell to be strong at all, but it does smell nice.

In the morning, I don't have the "omg wow" results that some are describing, but my skin is a bit softer, and that helps my makeup to blend more easily. I haven't had any pore-clogging or breakouts from this. I tried it as an eye cream but didn't feel like it did much for that area. I don't think the results of this are amazing, but you get a LOT for the price--like a jar will probably last 9+ months, so I'd probably eventually repurchase. Wouldn't repurchase if it was pricier though.

Update, 6 weeks later. This stuff has just about "cured" my oily skin! I'd long suspected at least part of my oily skin was due to dehydration, but didn't really know how to fix it since I moisturized twice a day. Well, this did it! My skin has gone from having to wear full foundation just to control oil, to being fine with just a BB cream. I still have to blot a couple times throughout the day, but I would say I've gone from a very oily t-zone to just slightly. If you've ever suspected you have dehydrated skin, you need to try this!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

Glad I got a small trial size in the duo pack with the lip mask from Sephora.

First off, it's a lovely luxury feeling gel moisturizer.

BUT

After 2 nights I got a deep cyst red irritated pimple that never came to a head, and I'm still trying to fade the mark a month later.

AND

the perfume is so strong, it kept me awake, both nights.

Yes it moisturized, but I'm not acne prone, and I'm 62, and that cystic thing on my cheekbone was very unpleasant. As soon as I quit, the thing started to die down and now like I said, I'm waiting for the mark to fade.

AND then the jar packaging. Not hygienic, but I put up with it, a lot of products insist.

Bottom line, buyer beware. I wish I'd just asked Sephora for a free sample. I'd have gotten the acne for free then instead of paying for the privilege.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this in Singapore while I was travelling. I went on a 3-week tour of SE Asia, and knew I would be flying a lot. I'm from North America and not used to the kind of weather I was having, and of course, flying wreaks havoc on your skin. I tried it out, and put it on almost every night as a night masque after sweating all day and being out in the sun. Mind you, I also used SPF 110 while I was there, and keep a regular regimen of Cetaphil cleanser, Vitamin C serum, moisturizer, and facial massages/facials.

Everyone who saw pictures of my trip commented on how glowing my skin was, and that I looked fresh and dewy. So definitely would re-purchase. It's expensive but not SK-II expensive, and imo, well worth the price. I bought mine at Sephora for about $35 SGD. The smell is light and relaxing. I have the new formula -- the jar is purple, and I believe the smell is lavender. The packaging is fine, not great. I understand people's concern about having a jar, but also I like seeing how much I have left.

Definitely a re-purchase for me.

on 6/28/2018 11:06:00 PM

I was a little confused when reading other reviews that sounded like this product was a moisturizer. I use it as stated, as a mask. I followed the instructions, cleansing, applying my normal serums or moisturizers, let those sit about 20-30 min, then apply a thin layer of the mask. Then I'd tap on the eye mask. They dry down rather quickly to a smooth finish. The mask effectively seals in the mousture your skin would normally lose to dry air, evaporation & bedding. That seal, for me also seemed to allow my other products, including acne spot treatments, to work without being rubbed off. I woke up, washed with Cetaphil and found my skin soft & hydrated. I hate daytime moisturizer & these results made me think I could skip it. Oh, I use it way too often...maybe 5 days a week so I may drop that to 3 times. No fresh breakouts for my 51 yr old combo skin and I did not note any major unpleasant fragrance issue.
Worked for me. Same fail grade on the packaging as everyone--No Pots Everrrr!
Just noting--not a moisturizer, a mask🙂

on 5/26/2018 9:11:00 PM

It's a cute product, and I like the idea of a watery hydrating and soothing night cream. It gets a lot of rave reviews and is a cult favourite, so I gave it a try - and I have to say, Koreans are fantastic at picking models and actresses with the most amazing skin to represent their brand. I kind of fell for the hype too, and really wanted to like this - not least because it was near £20 for just one pot alone..

So first things first, have to admit I'm not a fan of jar packaging for skin creams and gels. Even when I try to wash my hands before handling, use the little spatulas provided etc - it's never going to be as hygienic as a squeezy bottle or pump type, where I don't have to bother the product inside the bottle to get it out. It's also impossible for certain ingredients to remain stable in jars with frequent exposure to air and light. With that said, this is still a very pretty appearing jar with frosted sky-blue packaging, and is fairly resilient thick plastic.

The mask itself is a light gel-cream and unfortunately is heavily fragranced. Apparently it induces sleep but I never noticed any effect. It's an OK moisturiser, but nothing special and nothing that justifies its price tag. I certainly never noticed anything special about my skin in the morning. Won't buy again.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I received this product for Christmas, and I’m impressed. I have very oily skin that tends to dry out, and it’s difficult to find a moisturizer that doesn’t make me look greasy. This is a godsend. I wake up in the morning and my skin is plump and soft. It’s not heavily fragranced at all, but the scent is light and relaxing. The amount of product you get is overwhelming; I’ve been taking the lid off and using the product that gathers on the lid as it’s usually enough to cover my face. I’ve been using it on and off since Christmas, but I want to use it more as I have been recovering from a terrible depression slump and want to take care of myself at every chance I get. The jar is absolutely beautiful, and I plan on using it to store lipsticks or pencils when I run out of the product. I would definitely repurchase. I don’t think I can live without it!

on 1/15/2018 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I don't have dry skin, I have very oily skin that can get easily dehydrated in the cold Canadian winter wind and post-exfoliation. It goes on light and gel-like. It doesn't really feel as moisturising or refreshing as I had expected, I don't know if it's really working that well. My skin didn't feel 'refreshed' or anything. If I used it every night I get break outs, but to be fair the instructions say to only use once per week. Overall, I am underwhelmed. I've had better results with much cheaper products.

I wouldn't buy it again.

If you read my review of Egyptian Magic you will see how I came to buy this item. I didn't need it, didn't particularly even know what it was but the cirumstances had my resistance to marketing reduced to nothing.
The upside is I am so glad I did buy it. Especially now I have had a couple of months to rehabilitate my credit card.
This mask is wonderfully cooling, hydrating and plumping. It feels delightful on.
You apply it liberally at night over your usual serum etc and wake up in the morning with dewy, non-irritated, very fresh looking skin.
This is a must to pack when travelling by air. I bought an additional travel sized pot as soon as I came home from my last trip and now it lives in my travel gear ready for the next call on it's super powers.
I gave it 4 lippies for value but I was so doped on airsickness pills and free champagne compared with the slight hysteria induced by that mythical thing-a free upgrade-I really can't remember how much it was. Not a huge amount and not super cheap. That's the best my fuzzy memory gets. Sorry.
I also bought the Eye Sleeping Mask and the Lip Sleeping Mask at the same time (amongst other things-cough). They are both great and well worth having.