Too Faced Natural Matte

Too Faced Natural Matte
Natural Matte

4.4

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I am constantly on the lookout for a matte brown palette, so when I asked the employee at Ulta to show me some options, she led me directly to this one. It should have raised some red flags when she practically insisted I buy a primer with this palette.

First of all, my skin is very difficult to match (light with olive undertones). This is why I typically opt for brown, as the shades run more neutral. Cashmere Bunny is slightly too cool. Chocolate Cookie runs slightly too orange. Strapless and Honey Butter are obviously too orange. Risque and Sexpresso are slightly too cool, and I find the dark colors do not blend well and can look muddy. Nudie is a good natural shade for me, but very light (and kind of boring). Heaven works fine as a highlighter. I've never used Lace Teddy as I can already tell it's too orange. I'm really surprised that an all brown palette would have so few shades that (sort of) work for me.

The mid tones spread the most easily and stay on the longest, but that's only a couple of hours, anyway (without primer).

What I do like about the palette (after being so critical) is that it allows for easy, natural looks across a range of skin tones.

This is an OK palette, but definitely overpriced at $36 USD. I wouldn't re-purchase.

on 11/21/2017 8:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This couldn't hold a candle to the Nakeds matte palette that I received at the same time. This has limited colors and would only be good for a first palette. I was looking for a matte palette to flesh out my naked palettes. The naked mattes is it. This will be going back. It has nothing I need and it too pricey for what it is.

on 8/16/2017 7:52:00 PM

This is a great compact palette, especially for travel. I like the fact that it contains both cool and warm neutral shades for versatility. The colours are not as buttery and pigmented as some of their other palettes, such as the Chocolate Bar palette. These ones go on slightly sheer but are very silky and more easily blended than the Chocolate Bar ones, which makes it a good choice for beginners or when you're in a hurry and need a quick and natural daytime look.

on 7/27/2017 9:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I absolutely LOVE this palette. It's hard to find really good, neutral matte colors. The shadows are buttery and super blendable. I have never had a problem with them not lasting all day. I have so many shadows, and I always grab this. I wish all of their palettes had this quality!

on 7/26/2017 5:55:00 PM

I love this palette! I've been working on it for a long time now. I use each and every color. There are so many different ones you can mix and match with. Hands down one of the BEST and most versatile makeup palettes I have ever owned.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Obsessed. Me in an eyeshadow palette. 💋💋💋

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Until this palette, I wasn't much of a Too Faced eyeshadow fan. Their quality is hit-and-miss, especially the holiday sets. But I am loving this one. It's my go-to for work looks, and you can transition into neutral evening looks really easily too.

The shades are soft and silky, and blend so nicely. These are some of the best matte shadows I have ever used! (and I am somewhat of an eyeshadow palette collector) The pigment is great.

If you are looking for a neutral matte palette - this is the one. I also have the Lorac matte pro - also a nice palette, but the Too Faced palette has so much more versatility with the shades. Whenever I travel, this is the palette I take with me. So much versatility, and the hard packaging make it great for travel.

My only complaints: being very cool toned, the bottom 2 shades "honey butter" and "chocolate cookie" pull very orange on me. The top row is very cool toned, the middle row is cool/neutral, and the bottom row is more warm, but nudie works great for me.

And I have to mention the shade names... I think my niece's would absolutely love this palette, but I just can't bring myself to buy those teenagers something that says "sexpresso" on it. I wish they were named something more tame.

on 12/25/2016 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

My boyfriend gave me this one as a present and it's my new holy grail product. Extremely long lasting, even when it's raining or snowing, super creamy, easy to blend, not fading. They could be a little bit more pigmented, but they are the best for day wear. 90%

on 12/15/2016 1:47:00 PM

I really like this. I wanted a basic matte palette that had more variety than the Naked Basics, and was not really impressed with the Kat Von D shade and light (too chalky, too many similarities in shades), LORAC pro matte (shade selection issues yet again) or the tartlettes (wanted a softer shadow). This is pretty great for what I was looking for. The shadows are soft and blendable. Heaven is your basic matte highlighter that goes with everything. Nudie and cashmere bunny work for me for eyebrow shading. Chocolate cookie, strapless, and honey butter can create a nice warm eye that can be subtle or intense. Cashmere bunny, nudie, sexpresso (lol, what a stupid name) and risqué can make a cooler eye. Lace teddy is surprisingly the winner shade for me, it is a nice all over soft warm peach, I like it for everyday with honey butter in the crease with chocolate cookie or strapless to line. I have mixed feelings on too faced, but this one is a winner for me.

on 9/9/2016 12:42:00 PM

This is a good alternative if you are like me and feel like naked basics wasn't neutral/warm at all; but in fact leaned pretty cool....

You can achieve really similar looks. This palette is more versatile and has 9 shades, not 6.

Heaven is a matte off white. Great HL or to throw on all over as a base. I tend to prefer satin or shimmer for an inner corner HL, but this does the job really well. It's a soft white so it doesn't look chalky-- it leaves a soft brightening affect.

Lace teddy is the peachy cousin of the eye brightening shade WOS in the naked basics. Initially I was disappointed slightly in this shade bc I really wanted a peach shadow. This doesn't read peach once on the eye (*my eye). It's a brightening, neutral, "healthy eyelid" looking shade. I like it a lot. It's a nice soft matte and doesn't make my lid look too powdery like some other mattes.

Nudie and cashmere bunny are both awesome as transition and crease shades respectively. Nearly ideal on my nc20 skintone. I also like cashmere bunny all over lid

Im also balls over honey butter. It is a really unique shade. Great all over lid or right above the crease for some lift

Choco cookie is awesome for outer v esp if you like those really warm/red Browns like Swiss choco or brown script.

Sexpresso and risqué could stand do be more pigmented-- and apply patchy if you are looking to build them up. On the flipside bc they aren't incrdidbly pigmented they blend out fairly easily if you are using them for just outer v work. I also like risqué a lot to tightline w a generous amount of fix+ on my brush.

So to compare to naked basics

Pros of naked basics:
Cheaper
More neutral on the spectrum
Has a black
Packaging (imo)
Not entirely matte if you prefer a non matte HL

Pros of Tf natural matte:
More shade selection
Pulls warmer
More versatile - much more mid tones
Some truly unique shades