Curology - Acne Treatment

Filtered by eye Color : Green
 Curology - Acne Treatment

3.8

fka PocketDerm

Curology is by far the best Acne Treatment product that I've come across in about 3/4 years. I never really had acne throughout highschool and when I turned 19 or 20 I got the worst acne on my left cheek and have been left with some awful scars and skin pigmentation from it. Up until about a few months ago I was still struggling with it, trying to get rid of the scars but still getting pimples there and on my forehead. I've also been struggling with acne on my back/chest since I was about 13! In all my years searching for skin care products this company has really helped me out. I can go out in public without makeup on! It's just one little bottle for $24 a month (and you can choose how often it's shipped!) I don't go through one bottle that quickly so I like to push it back. You get to communicate with a well educated doctor about your skin type, where you get acne, how long you've had acne, what birth control you're on, what medications you've taken for acne, etc. Then the doctor gives you a full low down on what you're going to do to change your skin care routine and it's so simple! Gentle face cleanser, and the Curology treatment at night. And when I had flare ups and explained the type of pimples to the doctor, she helped me immediately and now I only get a few pimples when I'm on my period and I can finally get rid of those gnarly scars since there's no more pimples. And on top of all of that, all she did was recommend me a body bar that has almost completely cleared my body acne! Would definitely recommend this brand to anyone who's struggling with acne/their skin. I don't feel disgusted when I look in the mirror anymore and I never thought that would happen. Everyone should check out Curology!

on 2/5/2017 8:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I've dealt with acne since I was 12. Did the whole derm route with different creams, Spiro, etc. At 30 did 5 months of Accutane and had a great year, then It came back. Mostly chin and jaw. Terrible. I found Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid and it solved *most* of the bigger issues (and it will always be an HG and in my medicine cabinet), but still had problems with closed comedones, blackheads etc. Now, I'm 44. So it's keeping acne AND wrinkles at bay.
First batch ingredients:
– tretinoin 0.009% (unclogs pores and improves skin texture)
– clindamycin 1% (antibacterial and anti-inflammatory)
– azelaic acid 9% (antibacterial that also fights redness and hyperpigmentation)
Gave good results. Next shipment we upped the tretinoin to .018%.
Things were good. I was looking to get rid of subscriptions to save $$$. So cancelled this for a few months. Bad idea! Just got back on it at the script I left off with. Some minor purging, but it's also REALLY helping hyperpigmentation fade quickly.
I will not be going back off of it again.
Also very happy with service, response time, information, and personal attention. Rachel Rivard, NP-C is my provider.

I love Curology! They have invented a genius product! It works! You only need to use it at night before bed!

on 11/8/2015 9:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I cannot say enough good things, I have been using pocketderm since June and my assigned dermatologist Dr. Nancy Satur has been a godsend. She really listens to my concerns and is so quick to write back. After trying a topical with doxycycline with no results, she decided my acne was more hormonal and put me on spirnolactone. Wow. Nothing had ever worked so well before. It is scary how well this medication has worked for my skin. I am not sure about the 3 month maximum for prescription medication another reviewer wrote about as I have been on it for longer than that. When I asked my dermatologist about it, she said that since I am "young and healthy" she didn't find it necessary for me to see a gp or dermatologist in person. Definitely worth a try if you struggle with acne!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

i've been using curology for 3 months now & have been extremely pleased so far. i've had persistent acne of varying severity for years & after hitting a particularly bad bout of it & hearing about this service i finally decided it was time for rx-strength treatment again. my skin is very sensitive & while it has gotten more under control by using gentler & better-formulated otc products & an at-home blue light device, i still get breakouts regularly. curology has helped dramatically.

my rx is currently a combo of azelaic acid, clindamycin & zinc pyrithione. i noticed my skin starting to clear up a little within a couple days & have overall noticed fewer blemishes & quicker healing time for the ones i do get. some of my hyperpigmentation is also starting to slowly fade. my skin is still far from perfect but i have seen visible improvement across the photos i submit to my provider each month. i've also luckily had no side effects but as everyone's skin & rx is different ymmv.

as for the service itself, it's been great for me. my provider has been very friendly & helpful in answering all of my questions about my rx & has offered advice about the rest of my skincare routine. i've been able to easily reschedule shipments on the website, too. i think this is an invaluable service for ppl w/ problem skin who have no/inadequate insurance or just want something simple & convenient.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

My biggest issue with Curology is that they tell you to use 2 pumps daily, then that NEVER lasts the full month. There's no way to really tell how much is left in the bottle either. With my last bottle they apparently put the wrong address on it and it's been roaming the country, nowhere near where I live, for two weeks. I was able to get another bottle sent. They seem to put everyone with acne doing the free trial on the same formula. I told my "provider" I wanted to add in a retinoid and increased azelaic acid. After 3 days she responded with a long-winded NO. That was almost enough to make me stop. But I kept using the lotion nightly and my face really cleared up after 2 months!! I was so happy. Then with the shipping fiasco I had no lotion for 8 days and I completely broke out again. So it's like I'm starting all over. If I could just get a consistent supply of this lotion I think it would really keep working.

on 10/13/2015 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Edit: to Domicos trying to discredit my review re: being prescribed 3+ months: I am younger than you and in perfect health. State laws vary state to state. I am in texas - I checked and see youre in CA. Please show me a link. I still have the email from pocketderm if you'd like a screenshot. So either pocketderm lied or......?
-------------
I added an edit at the bottom to hopefully help more people.

I used Pocketderm (now rebranded as CUROLOGY ) for 6+ months. I believe I have enough insight on the matter to write a proper review. Many derms wanted to put me on Accutane since my acne/oil production was so severe. Everyone in my immediately family (mom, dad, brother) had been on it. I absolutely REFUSE to go that route. Not because it sucks for the duration of the time taking it, that would be well worth it to me. But it's the aftermath that's scared me off. I'm keeping my excessive sebum producing oil glands... because they're a built in moisturizer. It sucks that they cause acne but when I hit 40+ I'll be very pleased to have the extra oil.

I opted for the acne treatment as I have been battling acne/rosacea for many years. Being completely honest, I mainly signed up for the chance of being prescribed Spironolactone. I wanted to be prescribed it via Pocketderm because it would mean not having to do the many bloodtests that come along with Spironolactone.

But if that's why you're signing up for Pocketderm...DO NOT DO IT. WHAT THEY DO NOT PROPERLY DISCLOSE TO NEW CUSTOMERS IS THEY WILL NOT PRESCRIBE IT LONG TERM. After 3ish months they dropped me to the curb and told me they only prescribed it for me to "try it out". My Pocketderm dermatologist told me I will have to go find a local derm to prescribe it long term. Additionally they would not prescribe over 100mg..... which isnt much in terms of spiro. I know MANY women on spiro and there are studies (by derms) stating that 200mg is optimal. Apparently, after doing some digging, they do this to everyone to avoid lawsuits!!!!!! If I had known this info I would have never started it. Spirolactone messes with your hormones so starting/ending it is no easy matter.

Moving forward --- onto the Pocketderm aka Curology acne topical treatment they send you. The actives in mine were: My formula is 4% niacinamide, 1% clindamycin, 4% azelaic acid. I'm *sure* this works for a lot of people. But it did not work for me and after one look at the INACTIVE ingredient list, I knew EXACTLY why.

It's full of vitamin e and sweet almond oil! Those are enough to break my skin out like a volcano. I even confronted Pocketderm / Curology on the matter and you know what they told me? That it was "impossible", because those are non-comedogenic ingredients. I am pissed they insinuated I lied about it breaking me out when there is TONS of info out there on these ingredients causing acne. Even ALL of the derms I've been to will agree. They told me to steer clear of most oils............and they were right. There are very few oils that don't break me out. The vitamin e and sweet almond oil clogged every pore on my face. :( Just like they did in every other formulation ive ever tried over the years.

HERE is the inactives list: water, glycerin, aloe vera leaf juice, PEG-100 myristate, sweet almond seed oil, xanthan gum, methyl paraben, propyl paraben, tocopheryl acetate.

Pocketderm/Curology sucked for me. But I do like the idea of it and I do think it could help a lot of people. IF YOU DON'T BREAK OUT FROM SWEET ALMOND OIL OR VITAMIN E - GO FOR IT!

I'm editing this because I want to point out that I think tretinoin is the only ingredient in this that makes it worth bothering. It is RX only due to being an intense chemical exfoliator. Tretinoin generates collagen, exfoliates the skin, and can do more for anti-aging AND acne than the rest. The reason I'm adament about that is because its a lot deeper of an exfoliator than vitamin c (useless to *me*) or niacinamide (which is also an antioxidant like vitamin c - it's b3!). If they don't prescribe it to you - PUSH for it. Curology/pocketderm (whatever it is atm) DOES try to make patients happy. Azalaic acid is also worth asking for since its RX only and often prescribed for rosacea redness (main ingredient of finacea). Paired with tretinoin can cause it to lighten old scars even quicker. :)

LAST BUT NOT LEAST WEAR SUNSCREEN IF YOU WANT NICE SKIN. Chemical exfoliators cause skin to be more photosensitive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. UVA damage will undo all the benefits of tretinoin.

I got the trial version and with the basic formulation (AZELAIC ACID, CLINDAMYCIN, NIACINAMIDE) they give most people and I tried it for a month. I had decent acne on my forehead due to hormone imbalance from BC. They warned me that its gonna get worse before it gets better. At first it really did get worse. My skin texture got really weird with these tiny bumps literally everywhere on my face. I got really worried but decided to continue. Although the zits came down in size they were still very persistent and would become really pusy. I continued the treament that was supposed to help me also get rid of the dark spots left over from the acne. Well guess what, the amount of zits that the medication "brought out" to try to "clear up" the acne actually made more dark spots and did not help them. I decided to take a break after the month and came back to it a little later and all the acne inflamed again. I decided to stop using it and went on a search to get serum and moisturizer to get rid of my spotted forehead. Mind you I used my Teint Idole 24 hr Lancome foundation which is full coverage and even two layers of it would not over the dark spots completely. I bought Even Better Serum and the new Moisture Surge Gel to try to recover. 2 weeks later everything cleared up and dark spots are fading.

Throughout this time I was in a middle of a move and had a car accident. I tried contacting support only to get their voicemail box. I contacted my curology "doctor" and she explained that there are no return or refunds. While I still have two more bottles of that formula sitting in their boxes untouched. And I know for a fact I'm not the only one with that formula. In fact, most people get the same "unique" formula when they sign up.

The point of the story. It's probably not a good idea to deal with this product or company.