Curology - Acne Treatment

Curology - Acne Treatment

3.2

fka PocketDerm

on 8/19/2018 4:47:00 AM

Im 8 weeks in and my skin is a lotttt worst than when i started it. Im going to try one more month but overall its ruined my skin.
I feel like some of these reviews are fake. a lot of users who reviewed this on here has no other reviews so buyers beware!!!

edit, i threw it in the trash, let me explain:

i started this trial for 5 dollars on june 20th. My prescription was azealic acid , zinc pyrithione and clindymicine.(idk the spelling) After the first week my face was breaking out really really bad in places ive never had acne before and it was pimples that werent super inflamed but the type that will leave scars quickly and for a long time. I get sooooo oily in the morning when i wake up. Im super super super greasy the day after. I told my prescriber (who seems to be on vacation a lot) and she told me is possibly purging and wait another 4 weeks. anyways fastfoward to 4 weeks and my face is still breaking out with new pimples EVERY SINGLE DAY. Id wake up everyday and wait to see where the new little fella will pop up. I only had ONE day out of the 2 months where i didnt have a new pimple but that lasted for less than 48 hours. Now in week 8 i gave up. my face is so much worst and covered in acne/acne scars. i have 15 to 20 acne scars just on one cheeks from starting curology. i never had any cheek acne before this. My problem area was always my forehead and chin and til this day i still have a bunch of active acne on those areas. my before and after is shocking and leaves me so confused. i wish i had never started curology. I messaged my provider every week and they just kept telling me to hold off and wait and wait. I think 8 weeks is long enough and im so over it. im going back to bp regime from dan at acne.org. its worked for my when i was a teen. I just have to have patience like i was with curology. i wasted 2 months on this. but i did learn to use acne patches from cosrx which are awesome. and also my skin hates anything with alcohol. i guess i took some lessons from this experience. it wasnt all that bad but if i could go back in time i would have NEVER tried this out. everyone is different and i was one of the few that hated this. A lot of recent reviews are not so great so i am guessing many of the reviews on here and elsewhere are fake. i even clicked on the profiles of people who had reviewed this as a godsend and they only ever wrote a curology review without any other ones so it seems very fishy. BEWARE BEWARE

the providers are nice and even tried to prescribe oral medicine. I didnt fall for it. its in the trash. they kept telling me to use this product and along with other products and its just been such a pain in the ass waking up and more pimples show up. way more than before i started. i have photos to prove and its not pretty.

My skin just feel irritated and super oily while using this. I told my provider , hey im breaking out and she jusy tells me to hang in there.

Now i just wash my face with gentle cleanser and splash water. Basically barely touch my skin. Then put on fab ultra repair cream and use cosrx acne patches on active whiteheads and wait. I will incorpoate bp back to my routine in a week after my skin takes a breather from the damn curology.

Dans bp 2.5% acne.org regime is 100 times better and i am getting results in 3 weeks. I no longer have acne but just scars left from curology. Trust ur instincts and know its not purging! Dont listen to those emails and trust urself. Curology is not good and made me oily and a mess and pizza face.

on 5/10/2018 2:10:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product taught me the exact lesson that not every product works for everybody.
I was really hopeful for this. All the reviews were great, the youtube reviews seemed promising and it wasn't THAT expensive for a customized formula with ingredients that only doctors could prescribe. before i signed up, my acne was not as bad as i thought it was at the time. i had a ton of closed comedones (my biggest concern) and like one or two cysts. my face was relatively clear and easy to cover up with makeup. so i signed up, put in all my info, sent my provider the pictures, and she prescribed me 4% azelaic acid/ 1% clindamycin/ .25% zinc pyrithione. my bottle soon got delivered and i started using it. i didn't notice anything at first-- but by 3 weeks, i had 3 HUGE cysts on the side of my face that i never get. as the weeks kept progressing, more and MORE cysts spread all over my face-- to the left side of my face where i had absolutely NO acne prior to this. They kept telling me i was "purging," and stupid me believed them. but listen-- if you're getting painful, cystic acne, especially on the side of your face where u never break out, IT IS NOT!! PURGING! i wish i could have told myself this and stopped before it progressed into making my face a complete mess. I eventually got a new formula but decided, you know what. i'm done with this. curology has simple broken me. it's ruined my face. no more "purging." no more providers that give me half-assed answers and don't care (except, i had one provider sub in for my main one-- she was the SWEETEST. i wish i had her). i can't even look at myself in the mirror anymore. yesterday was my last day as i couldn't even get my school work done from how much i was crying because i realized how much this product ruined my skin.
it might work for you, it might not. everyone's skin is different. i have no idea what caused my reaction-- maybe it was the sweet almond oil in their base. but just warning you-- if you're starting to break out with painful, inflamed, red cysts, and they tell you it's because you're "purging," stop using it. see how much your skin improves. no purging should make your skin break out into cysts.
i am going to schedule an appointment with a REAL dermatologists now. i'd rather wait a couple weeks for a free, insurance covered appointment than pay each month for a bottle that continuously makes my skin worse.
i wish i could leave a good review. but i can't. this product ruined every bit of self confidence i had. now i feel like i have to start allll over again from square one. this was the worst decision of my life, and i wish more people spoke up about their bad experiences.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Upon starting Curology I used this stuff exactly as I was advised. I’d apply this once every night, following the use of a gentle skin cleanser & before moisturizing (if desired). (Both my cleanser and moisturizer were products I’ve used forever btw)! It wasn’t until the second week I noticed some changes in my skin. Needless to say they weren’t good. I began breaking out like never before. I’d wake up with 2-3 new breakouts every single day. This lasted for the next 3 weeks until my first bottle was used up and I received my second. I was aware that purging of the skin wasn’t uncommon for the first several weeks so I went another week using it this. I didn’t think my skin couldn’t get any worse but Curology proved me wrong on this one. I was breaking out in areas I never had before, my skin was so much more oily than before. Not to mention my breakouts were huge compared to my before tiny red spots. I emailed my provider about this and she said it was just a part of purging and to essentially wait it out. I couldn’t. I stopped before halfway through my second month. My skin being the absolute worst it’s ever been, I couldn’t “wait it out.” Instantly after stopping Curology I stopped waking up with all these breakouts, and my skin started to settle down. Now ofcourse its not perfect right now, but I think I’m going to take a more natural approach to my acne and give it a rest from all these products. Overall Curology isn’t for everyone. There is the possibility of my skin having the chance of clearing up after the so called purging, but after a month of this I couldn’t stand it any longer.

on 3/14/2018 11:12:00 AM

This product is not for everyone. I had tiny bumps in my face that I tried to get rid of wth this product. I used this product religiously for four months! No results only made my skin worse. I broke out on my forehead which never breaks out. I had oily skin all the time. Worse things is i thing it messed up my skin for the long run. I stopped using it in January and since my pores have been HUGE, my skin is always oily. I hate it, my skin was never like this before. I would just get breakouts on my chin and now it's everywhere.

on 8/21/2017 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Buyer beware!!!! My provider has been amazing since day one BUT none of her or MY hard work means a thing if I suddenly stop receiving bottles mid use!!!! Apparently if I use the messaging feature and my provider happens to not read my message immediately during a time where my shipment is supposed to go out, they put a hold on it!!! I have been meticulously following Curology's instructions for months and am even on the recommended oral pills! I am now without my curology cream for 5 days due to this bull shit policy!!! They basically put a hold on my account and when they finally released my shipment were unable to express it to me. Months of hard work for what??? My breakouts are already coming back in full force as a result of stopping this PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION so abruptly. Do yourself a favor and just go the dr. At least you can pick up your medication yourself!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Fine program if your skin falls within the parameters of their range of formulas. I used tret/azelaic/clindamycin). However, the base clogged and the azelaic burned me. Because it was bundled I had stop all 3 treatments. It's all packed into one creamy gel. And if the creamy gel is too rich for your skin you are out of luck. Interactions with dr / customer service was fine but a bit rote. Again, a fine deal if it works for you. As always, all things skincare are ymmv.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

First, let me say that this is an incredible idea and fantastic service. Everyone I dealt with at Pocket Derm was helpful and informative, which anyone who has ever tried to find a good derm will tell you is definitely not par for the course in the field of dermatology. The service was easy to use, the doctors responsive, and the product arrived quickly and with clear instructions. At $20 a month, I think that this is a really great option for a lot of people.

I sent three photos (no makeup - I actually realized how low my self esteem had gotten when I went to take these, because it was incredibly difficult for me to do) that I had taken on my phone to Pocket Derm through their website, and my doctor prescribed me a custom blend of treatments that was sent to me by a compounding pharmacist. I love the idea of having a treatment that is specifically created for your skin issues. It arrived in a pretty frosted plastic bottle, which lasted me a little less than two months (you can reorder based on how often you go through everything). I applied it once every night to my problem areas. I never experienced irritation, which was amazing after dealing with Epiduo, which is incredibly harsh, for the better part of a year. My skin certainly did not get any worse when I was on it, and I think that certain inflammation and discoloration definitely did approve.

I ended up going off of PocketDerm and finding a derm in my city because I wasn't seeing the results I wanted. I was still breaking out frequently, which my PD doctor said was a result of purging. However, after three full months on this (after almost a year of being on Epiduo, which has adapalene and similarly clears out pores), I felt like I needed to be seeing better results. I was told to wait it out a bit, which I had planned to do. However, I ended up going in to see a new derm in person to get a cortisone shot on two really bad cystic spots, and she mentioned that I probably needed an oral medication such as spironolactone, as my acne is clearly hormonal and topicals can't do anything preventative when the issue is internal. I feel like this is something that my PocketDerm doctor probably should have identified straight away - given the placement and type of breakout I was getting.

I know that people have gotten spiro prescriptions through PocketDerm, but this was never offered as an option for me, and I felt better about the fact that my in-person derm keeps track of potassium levels and blood pressure (both things that spiro affects). And so I made the decision to cancel my PocketDerm account, and started with a new derm to go back on Epiduo and also add spiro. The spiro, so far, as been incredible and it's frustrating to think that I went so long without it.

I believe the positive experiences that people have had with PocketDerm and do think that it's worth a try if OTC is just not cutting it and you don't have access to a derm who you trust. Treating acne is a lot of trial and error, and I am glad that I tried this (and will forever by in dept to them for suggesting using hydrocolloid bandages on popped spots).

on 11/24/2017 12:33:00 AM

Wow. To begin, my main concerns (in order) is hyperpigmentation, closed comedones, and acne. Well, this stuff is magical. I was pretty skeptical at first because of all of those gimmicky-feeling ads on Youtube. But since the first bottle was the free besides the five dollars for shipping, I gave it a shot. I saw horrible reviews about how it made people break out and it wouldn't stop, so yeah, that was a little terrifying, but I really didn't care.. I was spending so much money on products that didn't work, so this was just another one to add to my list. Just to list a few, I tried The Ordinary (too gentle imo, tried Adv. Retinoid, does nothing; peeling solution, does nothing, basically everything felt like the equivalent of putting water on my face) I also tried Differin, which broke me out a little bit, nothing too crazy, but it did dry the HECK out of my face yet did not stop acne. Curology SIGNIFICANTLY reduced most of the dark spots on my face in 5 nights. In only 5 nights!!! It killed any active acne on my face and actually PREVENTS acne. I have minimal breakouts since, I think I got two little spots because of hormones, and compared to before, thats nothing. I will say it doesn't do much for the stubborn blackheads on my nose, but honestly I don't even care.. I AM shocked at the results. My prescription was 0.009% tretinoin, 1% clindamycin, and 9% azelaic acid. I read on here that they give the same prescription to everyone for the first time, which is obviously not true. Anyways, give it a try. It's only 5 dollars for the first bottle and you can cancel anytime.. if you've lost hope, this might just work for you!

Curology worked when nothing else did.
I am currently on month 5 of using this service and am so happy with results!
A lil history:
I had pretty darn clear skin all my life, with small hormonal breakouts (1-2 pimples/month)
I tried oil cleansing method (original, by using only oils to clean and wiping off with warm towel). OCM ruined my skin and I should have stopped sooner but kept believing I was purging. Stupid! By the 2nd month my face was covered in thousands of tiny little bumps and some cystic acne!
I tried gentle cleansing, then salicylic acid, then benzoyl peroxide (stuck with all for 45 days each). Nothing helped!
Couldn't afford a dermatologist so signed up for Curology. Best decision! The first few weeks I only felt a calming in my skin but still covered in breakouts.
By day 40 I could see results.
By day 70 most of the bumps were gone.
I am still left with remaining hyperpigmention it's slowly starting to fade :)
Would definitely recommend! The derms that work there are helpful.
My first scipt was: 4% Azelaic Acid, 1% Clindamycin and 4% Niacinamide.
100 days in I changed to: 8% Azelaic Acid, 1% Clindamycin and 0.25% Zinc Pyrithione.

on 7/22/2017 12:47:00 AM

I had a sudden bout of hormonal acne. I tried everything for months and even considered going on another course of roaccutane. Curology was my last attempt before I go on roaccutane. And I'm so glad I gave it a try. Not only are my pimples gone. But the small under the skin black and white heads are also gone. My skin is smooth. Give it a try. You have nothing to lose with one month free trial.