Curology - Acne Treatment

3.3

fka PocketDerm

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This is a hard review. I’m sort of in the middle right now trying to decide if I should cancel or not. So I have always had acne. I did accutane in my early 20’s and it worked great. Then I got on and off birth control and it kind of screwed with my skin. So I was stable on birth control and my skin was still flaring up. Also, I've been using retin A for all over skin benefits but I haven't had a dermatologist in a while and it was a several month wait to see one and I wanted an easy way to get a retin A prescription. Enter curology about one year ago. They started me on a tretinon, clindamycin, azealic acid combo. And I broke out like never before. My skin looked terrible. I emailed, freaking out, and they told me I was purging and to keep going. I was kind of angry because in my past experience, purging is a myth and my skin only ever got worse when something caused me to break out. But I decided to try and trust them. It took forever. But my skin finally stopped breaking out. I want to say it took 6-10 weeks, I need to dig through the emails. But it was bad. Since then, overall my skin is ok. I do still get small breakouts. But I can’t use curology every night or else my skin gets deflated looking. It’s dull and dried out. So I end up wasting a lot of product because they keep sending it. Recently I discovered I could delay a delivery by one month, so I’m going to try that. Paying $160 a year is better than $240, but it’s still a lot. I’m just torn. If the formula is stressing out my skin, I can try other things. But I went through such a long aweful “purge” and if curology is helping my acne, I really don’t want to start over. So I’m a little afraid to quit, but I’m not totally sure how much it’s helping. Currently I use it every 2-3 days. I emailed my provider about these concerns and while she’s perfectly polite, she’s a little condescending and not helpful at all. I don’t feel like she’s hearing my concerns about how the formula is affecting my skin and she’s not answering questions I have about how dull and dehydrated my skin seems if I use it every day. So I’m very torn. I think that the best option is to go see a dermatologist in person. If I get to a life position where I can, that is what I’m going to do. But I only think it’s worth a try if you can’t see a dermatologist for some reason.

on 2/20/2019 7:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Love it! Thought the tretinoin would dry my skin out, but my provider was able to prescribe me one of the lowest percentages of the active. My skin is smooth and glowy and very well-moisturized! I have noticed that my dark spots from active pimples have faded, but it isn't helping as much with my melasma. Sometimes I get a bottle that smells a little funny, but I think variation is natural as my formula changes along with my skin. Love the product overall!

on 12/30/2018 10:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

I have battled with adult acne since I hit my twenties, predominantly around my jawline and on my chin. I have used products off and on that have worked for months or even a year or two at a time but after having children my hormones always seem to rear their ugly head every now & again. I used the acne.org treatment and it worked WONDERS for me a few years ago but I was apprehensive to start it up again because of how harsh it is on the skin and it’s a pretty big commitment every morning and night. I had seen adds for curology on Facebook and Instagram and decided to give it a shot since the first month was free (only paid $5 shipping). Well, it’s been going on two weeks now and I am very satisfied. I am not sure if it’s luck, just a good time of the month, the fact that I have been regular with my vitamins and drinking a ton of water but it seems rather coincidental that I haven’t had one breakout since I started with curology. And one of the best parts, I have had no drying & no sensitivity which is extremely hard to find in acne treatments that actually work. I am 33 years old and get hormonal breakouts pretty frequently, some cystic that last weeks. My treatment is zinc Pyrithione, Clindamycin, & Niacinamide. I will check back in, in a month or so to follow up but thus far I am very satisfied and I hope it continues!!! Update: so it's now March 6th and I am still very satisfied with this product. I love the face wash, the treatment, and the moisturizer. If I do get a pimple it always seems to be when I've gone a night or 2 without using my prescription. Very happy girl right here!

on 11/2/2018 11:07:00 AM

Beware!! No returns or refunds even if you have unopened product. After 6 weeks of use not only was there no improvement but I was experiencing dry flaky skin. Of course after this amount of time my second bottle had shipped at a cost of $40 that won't be refunded.
A little suspicious that they won't allow returns or refunds.

on 8/19/2018 4:47:00 AM

Im 8 weeks in and my skin is a lotttt worst than when i started it. Im going to try one more month but overall its ruined my skin.
I feel like some of these reviews are fake. a lot of users who reviewed this on here has no other reviews so buyers beware!!!

edit, i threw it in the trash, let me explain:

i started this trial for 5 dollars on june 20th. My prescription was azealic acid , zinc pyrithione and clindymicine.(idk the spelling) After the first week my face was breaking out really really bad in places ive never had acne before and it was pimples that werent super inflamed but the type that will leave scars quickly and for a long time. I get sooooo oily in the morning when i wake up. Im super super super greasy the day after. I told my prescriber (who seems to be on vacation a lot) and she told me is possibly purging and wait another 4 weeks. anyways fastfoward to 4 weeks and my face is still breaking out with new pimples EVERY SINGLE DAY. Id wake up everyday and wait to see where the new little fella will pop up. I only had ONE day out of the 2 months where i didnt have a new pimple but that lasted for less than 48 hours. Now in week 8 i gave up. my face is so much worst and covered in acne/acne scars. i have 15 to 20 acne scars just on one cheeks from starting curology. i never had any cheek acne before this. My problem area was always my forehead and chin and til this day i still have a bunch of active acne on those areas. my before and after is shocking and leaves me so confused. i wish i had never started curology. I messaged my provider every week and they just kept telling me to hold off and wait and wait. I think 8 weeks is long enough and im so over it. im going back to bp regime from dan at acne.org. its worked for my when i was a teen. I just have to have patience like i was with curology. i wasted 2 months on this. but i did learn to use acne patches from cosrx which are awesome. and also my skin hates anything with alcohol. i guess i took some lessons from this experience. it wasnt all that bad but if i could go back in time i would have NEVER tried this out. everyone is different and i was one of the few that hated this. A lot of recent reviews are not so great so i am guessing many of the reviews on here and elsewhere are fake. i even clicked on the profiles of people who had reviewed this as a godsend and they only ever wrote a curology review without any other ones so it seems very fishy. BEWARE BEWARE

the providers are nice and even tried to prescribe oral medicine. I didnt fall for it. its in the trash. they kept telling me to use this product and along with other products and its just been such a pain in the ass waking up and more pimples show up. way more than before i started. i have photos to prove and its not pretty.

My skin just feel irritated and super oily while using this. I told my provider , hey im breaking out and she jusy tells me to hang in there.

Now i just wash my face with gentle cleanser and splash water. Basically barely touch my skin. Then put on fab ultra repair cream and use cosrx acne patches on active whiteheads and wait. I will incorpoate bp back to my routine in a week after my skin takes a breather from the damn curology.

Dans bp 2.5% acne.org regime is 100 times better and i am getting results in 3 weeks. I no longer have acne but just scars left from curology. Trust ur instincts and know its not purging! Dont listen to those emails and trust urself. Curology is not good and made me oily and a mess and pizza face.

on 5/10/2018 2:10:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product taught me the exact lesson that not every product works for everybody.
I was really hopeful for this. All the reviews were great, the youtube reviews seemed promising and it wasn't THAT expensive for a customized formula with ingredients that only doctors could prescribe. before i signed up, my acne was not as bad as i thought it was at the time. i had a ton of closed comedones (my biggest concern) and like one or two cysts. my face was relatively clear and easy to cover up with makeup. so i signed up, put in all my info, sent my provider the pictures, and she prescribed me 4% azelaic acid/ 1% clindamycin/ .25% zinc pyrithione. my bottle soon got delivered and i started using it. i didn't notice anything at first-- but by 3 weeks, i had 3 HUGE cysts on the side of my face that i never get. as the weeks kept progressing, more and MORE cysts spread all over my face-- to the left side of my face where i had absolutely NO acne prior to this. They kept telling me i was "purging," and stupid me believed them. but listen-- if you're getting painful, cystic acne, especially on the side of your face where u never break out, IT IS NOT!! PURGING! i wish i could have told myself this and stopped before it progressed into making my face a complete mess. I eventually got a new formula but decided, you know what. i'm done with this. curology has simple broken me. it's ruined my face. no more "purging." no more providers that give me half-assed answers and don't care (except, i had one provider sub in for my main one-- she was the SWEETEST. i wish i had her). i can't even look at myself in the mirror anymore. yesterday was my last day as i couldn't even get my school work done from how much i was crying because i realized how much this product ruined my skin.
it might work for you, it might not. everyone's skin is different. i have no idea what caused my reaction-- maybe it was the sweet almond oil in their base. but just warning you-- if you're starting to break out with painful, inflamed, red cysts, and they tell you it's because you're "purging," stop using it. see how much your skin improves. no purging should make your skin break out into cysts.
i am going to schedule an appointment with a REAL dermatologists now. i'd rather wait a couple weeks for a free, insurance covered appointment than pay each month for a bottle that continuously makes my skin worse.
i wish i could leave a good review. but i can't. this product ruined every bit of self confidence i had. now i feel like i have to start allll over again from square one. this was the worst decision of my life, and i wish more people spoke up about their bad experiences.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Upon starting Curology I used this stuff exactly as I was advised. I’d apply this once every night, following the use of a gentle skin cleanser & before moisturizing (if desired). (Both my cleanser and moisturizer were products I’ve used forever btw)! It wasn’t until the second week I noticed some changes in my skin. Needless to say they weren’t good. I began breaking out like never before. I’d wake up with 2-3 new breakouts every single day. This lasted for the next 3 weeks until my first bottle was used up and I received my second. I was aware that purging of the skin wasn’t uncommon for the first several weeks so I went another week using it this. I didn’t think my skin couldn’t get any worse but Curology proved me wrong on this one. I was breaking out in areas I never had before, my skin was so much more oily than before. Not to mention my breakouts were huge compared to my before tiny red spots. I emailed my provider about this and she said it was just a part of purging and to essentially wait it out. I couldn’t. I stopped before halfway through my second month. My skin being the absolute worst it’s ever been, I couldn’t “wait it out.” Instantly after stopping Curology I stopped waking up with all these breakouts, and my skin started to settle down. Now ofcourse its not perfect right now, but I think I’m going to take a more natural approach to my acne and give it a rest from all these products. Overall Curology isn’t for everyone. There is the possibility of my skin having the chance of clearing up after the so called purging, but after a month of this I couldn’t stand it any longer.

on 3/14/2018 11:12:00 AM

This product is not for everyone. I had tiny bumps in my face that I tried to get rid of wth this product. I used this product religiously for four months! No results only made my skin worse. I broke out on my forehead which never breaks out. I had oily skin all the time. Worse things is i thing it messed up my skin for the long run. I stopped using it in January and since my pores have been HUGE, my skin is always oily. I hate it, my skin was never like this before. I would just get breakouts on my chin and now it's everywhere.

on 11/24/2017 12:33:00 AM

Wow. To begin, my main concerns (in order) is hyperpigmentation, closed comedones, and acne. Well, this stuff is magical. I was pretty skeptical at first because of all of those gimmicky-feeling ads on Youtube. But since the first bottle was the free besides the five dollars for shipping, I gave it a shot. I saw horrible reviews about how it made people break out and it wouldn't stop, so yeah, that was a little terrifying, but I really didn't care.. I was spending so much money on products that didn't work, so this was just another one to add to my list. Just to list a few, I tried The Ordinary (too gentle imo, tried Adv. Retinoid, does nothing; peeling solution, does nothing, basically everything felt like the equivalent of putting water on my face) I also tried Differin, which broke me out a little bit, nothing too crazy, but it did dry the HECK out of my face yet did not stop acne. Curology SIGNIFICANTLY reduced most of the dark spots on my face in 5 nights. In only 5 nights!!! It killed any active acne on my face and actually PREVENTS acne. I have minimal breakouts since, I think I got two little spots because of hormones, and compared to before, thats nothing. I will say it doesn't do much for the stubborn blackheads on my nose, but honestly I don't even care.. I AM shocked at the results. My prescription was 0.009% tretinoin, 1% clindamycin, and 9% azelaic acid. I read on here that they give the same prescription to everyone for the first time, which is obviously not true. Anyways, give it a try. It's only 5 dollars for the first bottle and you can cancel anytime.. if you've lost hope, this might just work for you!

Curology worked when nothing else did.
I am currently on month 5 of using this service and am so happy with results!
A lil history:
I had pretty darn clear skin all my life, with small hormonal breakouts (1-2 pimples/month)
I tried oil cleansing method (original, by using only oils to clean and wiping off with warm towel). OCM ruined my skin and I should have stopped sooner but kept believing I was purging. Stupid! By the 2nd month my face was covered in thousands of tiny little bumps and some cystic acne!
I tried gentle cleansing, then salicylic acid, then benzoyl peroxide (stuck with all for 45 days each). Nothing helped!
Couldn't afford a dermatologist so signed up for Curology. Best decision! The first few weeks I only felt a calming in my skin but still covered in breakouts.
By day 40 I could see results.
By day 70 most of the bumps were gone.
I am still left with remaining hyperpigmention it's slowly starting to fade :)
Would definitely recommend! The derms that work there are helpful.
My first scipt was: 4% Azelaic Acid, 1% Clindamycin and 4% Niacinamide.
100 days in I changed to: 8% Azelaic Acid, 1% Clindamycin and 0.25% Zinc Pyrithione.