Curology - Acne Treatment

3.0

1 review

fka PocketDerm

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

First, let me say that this is an incredible idea and fantastic service. Everyone I dealt with at Pocket Derm was helpful and informative, which anyone who has ever tried to find a good derm will tell you is definitely not par for the course in the field of dermatology. The service was easy to use, the doctors responsive, and the product arrived quickly and with clear instructions. At $20 a month, I think that this is a really great option for a lot of people.

I sent three photos (no makeup - I actually realized how low my self esteem had gotten when I went to take these, because it was incredibly difficult for me to do) that I had taken on my phone to Pocket Derm through their website, and my doctor prescribed me a custom blend of treatments that was sent to me by a compounding pharmacist. I love the idea of having a treatment that is specifically created for your skin issues. It arrived in a pretty frosted plastic bottle, which lasted me a little less than two months (you can reorder based on how often you go through everything). I applied it once every night to my problem areas. I never experienced irritation, which was amazing after dealing with Epiduo, which is incredibly harsh, for the better part of a year. My skin certainly did not get any worse when I was on it, and I think that certain inflammation and discoloration definitely did approve.

I ended up going off of PocketDerm and finding a derm in my city because I wasn't seeing the results I wanted. I was still breaking out frequently, which my PD doctor said was a result of purging. However, after three full months on this (after almost a year of being on Epiduo, which has adapalene and similarly clears out pores), I felt like I needed to be seeing better results. I was told to wait it out a bit, which I had planned to do. However, I ended up going in to see a new derm in person to get a cortisone shot on two really bad cystic spots, and she mentioned that I probably needed an oral medication such as spironolactone, as my acne is clearly hormonal and topicals can't do anything preventative when the issue is internal. I feel like this is something that my PocketDerm doctor probably should have identified straight away - given the placement and type of breakout I was getting.

I know that people have gotten spiro prescriptions through PocketDerm, but this was never offered as an option for me, and I felt better about the fact that my in-person derm keeps track of potassium levels and blood pressure (both things that spiro affects). And so I made the decision to cancel my PocketDerm account, and started with a new derm to go back on Epiduo and also add spiro. The spiro, so far, as been incredible and it's frustrating to think that I went so long without it.

I believe the positive experiences that people have had with PocketDerm and do think that it's worth a try if OTC is just not cutting it and you don't have access to a derm who you trust. Treating acne is a lot of trial and error, and I am glad that I tried this (and will forever by in dept to them for suggesting using hydrocolloid bandages on popped spots).