Curology - Acne Treatment

Curology - Acne Treatment

3.8

fka PocketDerm

Curology is so much more efficient and cost-effective than driving to see my in-person dermatologist to get a prescription medication! Previously, I had to make an appoint with my dermatologist, pay the co-pay, go to the appointment. Then, get sent to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription, which was also expensive! Now, I can do all this from home, so fast, and it's really inexpensive! I love this service and their products!

A customized anti-aging retinoid formula and personalized care by a medical provider, all for just the price of a meal! Usually a medication like this costs so much more, and that doesn't even include the cost of seeing someone to prescribe it for you. I love my formula and it's worked wonders over the last few months that I've been using it!

I was pretty apprehensive about starting Curology because I have pretty decent skin most of the time without treatment and didn't want to make it worse. But, knowing that I would have monthly (what I thought were) cystic breakouts that would swell my face up to twice its size, I decided to give Curology a go so that I could maintain clear skin all the time.

Not only did my provider correct my understanding of my skin (they aren't cystic breakouts, just very inflamed acne breakouts), they prescribed a formula that specifically mitigated the problems that my skin had. Since using Curology, I went from having horrible breakouts every few weeks to getting maybe one or two whiteheads every few months. It's nothing short of a miracle, and I feel much more confident in my skin. I'm also going out without makeup now as well, which is a major change!

The price is also pretty reasonable in my opinion. With Curology, I've cut back substantially on my skincare budget and most of my spend now goes toward Curology; I'd say spending around $20 per month on completely clear skin is pretty worth it.

As a skincare addict, I've tried everything and I can safely say that Curology has made the biggest difference. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to keep their skin clear regardless of how chaotic life gets.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This is a hard review. I’m sort of in the middle right now trying to decide if I should cancel or not. So I have always had acne. I did accutane in my early 20’s and it worked great. Then I got on and off birth control and it kind of screwed with my skin. So I was stable on birth control and my skin was still flaring up. Also, I've been using retin A for all over skin benefits but I haven't had a dermatologist in a while and it was a several month wait to see one and I wanted an easy way to get a retin A prescription. Enter curology about one year ago. They started me on a tretinon, clindamycin, azealic acid combo. And I broke out like never before. My skin looked terrible. I emailed, freaking out, and they told me I was purging and to keep going. I was kind of angry because in my past experience, purging is a myth and my skin only ever got worse when something caused me to break out. But I decided to try and trust them. It took forever. But my skin finally stopped breaking out. I want to say it took 6-10 weeks, I need to dig through the emails. But it was bad. Since then, overall my skin is ok. I do still get small breakouts. But I can’t use curology every night or else my skin gets deflated looking. It’s dull and dried out. So I end up wasting a lot of product because they keep sending it. Recently I discovered I could delay a delivery by one month, so I’m going to try that. Paying $160 a year is better than $240, but it’s still a lot. I’m just torn. If the formula is stressing out my skin, I can try other things. But I went through such a long aweful “purge” and if curology is helping my acne, I really don’t want to start over. So I’m a little afraid to quit, but I’m not totally sure how much it’s helping. Currently I use it every 2-3 days. I emailed my provider about these concerns and while she’s perfectly polite, she’s a little condescending and not helpful at all. I don’t feel like she’s hearing my concerns about how the formula is affecting my skin and she’s not answering questions I have about how dull and dehydrated my skin seems if I use it every day. So I’m very torn. I think that the best option is to go see a dermatologist in person. If I get to a life position where I can, that is what I’m going to do. But I only think it’s worth a try if you can’t see a dermatologist for some reason.

on 2/20/2019 7:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Love it! Thought the tretinoin would dry my skin out, but my provider was able to prescribe me one of the lowest percentages of the active. My skin is smooth and glowy and very well-moisturized! I have noticed that my dark spots from active pimples have faded, but it isn't helping as much with my melasma. Sometimes I get a bottle that smells a little funny, but I think variation is natural as my formula changes along with my skin. Love the product overall!

on 1/25/2019 8:03:00 AM

I finally decided to try this because Angie from Hot & Flashy talked me into it. I have followed several of her recommendations with good results. I am 51. My concerns are mostly anti-aging and melasma patches (although I do have cystic acne tendencies for which I have been taking spironolactone for 15+ years). I had been using Retin A nightly for over a year now with no problems (starting at 0.025% and bumping up to 0.05% for 2nd tube). Since I was getting to the end of 0.05% tube I decided now would be a good time to try Curology. My starting out formula is 0.05% tretinoin, 5% azelaic acid, 4% niacinamide. Service was very prompt -- I heard from NP the next day and product was delivered a few days later. My skin is tolerating this just fine and I do think it looks pretty good as far as tone and clarity. I am not sure about cost-effectiveness, as this runs $20/mo or so and my insurance covered my Retin A once but not another time (GoodRX coupon saved me $20). The amount in bottle is less than 1oz and I'm not sure it will last the month (whereas my Retin A tubes each lasted about 6 months). There is the convenience factor of customizing the formula and also doing this online without needing to visit dermatologist -- I am super busy with grad school and I work nights, so that is important for me! I plan to ask for increased tretinoin in my 2nd or 3rd bottle and see how that goes. So far, I think this is a great option but will update my review as appropriate.

on 12/30/2018 10:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

I have battled with adult acne since I hit my twenties, predominantly around my jawline and on my chin. I have used products off and on that have worked for months or even a year or two at a time but after having children my hormones always seem to rear their ugly head every now & again. I used the acne.org treatment and it worked WONDERS for me a few years ago but I was apprehensive to start it up again because of how harsh it is on the skin and it’s a pretty big commitment every morning and night. I had seen adds for curology on Facebook and Instagram and decided to give it a shot since the first month was free (only paid $5 shipping). Well, it’s been going on two weeks now and I am very satisfied. I am not sure if it’s luck, just a good time of the month, the fact that I have been regular with my vitamins and drinking a ton of water but it seems rather coincidental that I haven’t had one breakout since I started with curology. And one of the best parts, I have had no drying & no sensitivity which is extremely hard to find in acne treatments that actually work. I am 33 years old and get hormonal breakouts pretty frequently, some cystic that last weeks. My treatment is zinc Pyrithione, Clindamycin, & Niacinamide. I will check back in, in a month or so to follow up but thus far I am very satisfied and I hope it continues!!! Update: so it's now March 6th and I am still very satisfied with this product. I love the face wash, the treatment, and the moisturizer. If I do get a pimple it always seems to be when I've gone a night or 2 without using my prescription. Very happy girl right here!

on 12/17/2018 5:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I used the formula that was "made for my skin" and my face broke out worse than ive ever broken out before. I messaged my provider and instead of changing the formula to fix it.... they sent me the exact same mixture and oh by the way, conveniently, they do not do returns. Complete scam. Do not use this product.

on 11/27/2018 6:46:00 PM

I never had acne or any type of skin issue until I was in my early 30s going through my long and ugly divorce. Not sure if it was stress, hormones, etc., but it was bad. Cyst like type acne. Leaving horrible marks behind even after they were gone and without picking at them. I have always taken care of my skin, and I work in the beauty industry. I stumbled upon Curology and wow, it really worked. I was amazed. I am still using Curology 2 years later, and have had 2 formula changes to increase the anti-aging benefits while still keeping the acne in check. It has worked wonders for me. I am fairly sensitive but didn't have any issue with curology at any time. The doctor I work with from Curology is amazing and I really can't say enough about this stuff!

on 11/2/2018 11:07:00 AM

Beware!! No returns or refunds even if you have unopened product. After 6 weeks of use not only was there no improvement but I was experiencing dry flaky skin. Of course after this amount of time my second bottle had shipped at a cost of $40 that won't be refunded.
A little suspicious that they won't allow returns or refunds.