Curology - Acne Treatment

Curology - Acne Treatment

4.8

fka PocketDerm

on 9/25/2017 11:41:00 AM

Curology has been an absolute savior for my skin. For the first time in my life someone this week complimented me on my skin and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was the girl who struggled with problem skin from the age of 14 all the way to 32. After a rough encounter with a local dermatologist who only wanted to sell me prescriptions he could get a kickback on (and ignoring me when I asked for the generic versions my insurance would cover...), I thought I'd give Curology a try. I'm glad I did because it's affordable and the advice I receive when I reach out to my derm is almost always exactly spot on and helpful. I've emailed to get her opinion on products like face washes for my skin type, and any changes in my skin and why they might be occurring and always get a fast and well thought out response.

I went from waking up with redness and 6-7 new spots each day to occasionally waking up with a single whitehead a couple times a week in about 6 months. Not perfect, but I'm ecstatic! And I'm slowly bumping up the tretinoin right now and noticing that my skin looks more radiant - a huge plus.

Curology worked when nothing else did.
I am currently on month 5 of using this service and am so happy with results!
A lil history:
I had pretty darn clear skin all my life, with small hormonal breakouts (1-2 pimples/month)
I tried oil cleansing method (original, by using only oils to clean and wiping off with warm towel). OCM ruined my skin and I should have stopped sooner but kept believing I was purging. Stupid! By the 2nd month my face was covered in thousands of tiny little bumps and some cystic acne!
I tried gentle cleansing, then salicylic acid, then benzoyl peroxide (stuck with all for 45 days each). Nothing helped!
Couldn't afford a dermatologist so signed up for Curology. Best decision! The first few weeks I only felt a calming in my skin but still covered in breakouts.
By day 40 I could see results.
By day 70 most of the bumps were gone.
I am still left with remaining hyperpigmention it's slowly starting to fade :)
Would definitely recommend! The derms that work there are helpful.
My first scipt was: 4% Azelaic Acid, 1% Clindamycin and 4% Niacinamide.
100 days in I changed to: 8% Azelaic Acid, 1% Clindamycin and 0.25% Zinc Pyrithione.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

i've been using curology for 3 months now & have been extremely pleased so far. i've had persistent acne of varying severity for years & after hitting a particularly bad bout of it & hearing about this service i finally decided it was time for rx-strength treatment again. my skin is very sensitive & while it has gotten more under control by using gentler & better-formulated otc products & an at-home blue light device, i still get breakouts regularly. curology has helped dramatically.

my rx is currently a combo of azelaic acid, clindamycin & zinc pyrithione. i noticed my skin starting to clear up a little within a couple days & have overall noticed fewer blemishes & quicker healing time for the ones i do get. some of my hyperpigmentation is also starting to slowly fade. my skin is still far from perfect but i have seen visible improvement across the photos i submit to my provider each month. i've also luckily had no side effects but as everyone's skin & rx is different ymmv.

as for the service itself, it's been great for me. my provider has been very friendly & helpful in answering all of my questions about my rx & has offered advice about the rest of my skincare routine. i've been able to easily reschedule shipments on the website, too. i think this is an invaluable service for ppl w/ problem skin who have no/inadequate insurance or just want something simple & convenient.

I posted this review elsewhere, but I love MakeupAlley, so I hope it's OK if I repost it:

Name any of the top acne treatments, and I've probably tried it. I started to get acne around early college, and despite what other's told me ("You'll grow out of it", "You just need to use productx"), it only got worst with age. I literally never left the house without a full face of makeup, for about a decade.

I finally hit my breaking point when I turned 30, and my latest treatment made my face so dry it made my skin crack when I smiled. I tried a dermatologist in office, that took 2 months to get into and spent a grand total of 5 minutes with me (and cost me about $180, yay). I gave in and placed my order, expecting another disappointment.

And then my face cleared up. Like that. In about two weeks I had already stopped breaking out. A few months later, my red spots faded. I no longer wear concealer(!!!!) I emailed my Curology doctor a few times, and he not only answered the email within a day, I could tell he actually READ my email, and gave me legitimate product recommendations (that I still use two years later).

Curology is not like other products I've tried. It's customized to ME (or you). If something doesn't work, it can be adjusted. It could cost me 5 times more and I'd still subscribe. I wish it existed 10 years ago, because It has changed my life for the better. <3

on 5/3/2016 8:45:00 PM

Great Product! As with many people who use tretinoin products (brand name retin -a) I too experienced an initial breakout. But...stuck with it & I am sooo glad I did. I am 31 & my skin had not looked this clear, even, just good since 17. I had tried everything! Derms & over the counter. I dont like BCP & spiro pumpkin my body with hormones so, this was the best option. I love that you have a derm, arpn u can write anytime u need with concerns & questions. I am in school to be an esthetician so I pick her brain all the time & she is great. I felt my tretinoin % at .009% (which retin-a fits not offer & u must start at .25% usually & that is why many experience such dryness, redness, & irritation, it is too much) but, my skin could handle more, so we increased it after 2 months. Then in another 2 months we went up again to .04%. Im about 3 weeks in @ that strength (4mos & 3wks total) & other than 1 or 2 small pimples right before or during my period, I'm clear. The PIH is fading from old breakouts & my skin feels so soft. And @ 31 I was starting to worry about wrinkles & tretinoin Hermosa with that too. By in increasing the rate ur skin cells turnover & exfoliate u are effectively handling both issues & Curology does have an anti-aging program too. My tretinoin is combined with clindamycin (anti-biotic) & azelic acid (helps fade marks & anti-inflammatory) & any patient will receive a custom med for their specific issues too. If u have tried everything & not had success or are doing the yo-yo thing, good month then bad month....try this please! I never write reviews but I really believe in this system, plus...it is so much cheaper than a derm visit & a prescription.