Curology - Acne Treatment

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
 Curology - Acne Treatment

4.1

fka PocketDerm

I was seeking curology for possibly helping clear the tiny bumps all over my forehead and jawline. When I started my prescription, my skin reacted horribly. My cheeks, which were never a problem area and were always clear, were COVERED with incredibly red, inflamed lesions. I have had this for 3 months thinking it would help eventually. It just made my skin a lot worse when my skin wasn’t that bad in the first place.

on 8/30/2017 5:15:00 PM

Buyer Beware of Curology: Their website falsely states: "You’re matched with a licensed dermatology provider who gets to know your skin. They’ll ask questions, check your progress, and stick by you" This is a bold face lie. I signed up, sent a few comments and the worst pix I had, fully expecting 'Jennifer' to review my info, and contact me to ask more in depth questions since I had a couple of issues that needed to be addressed before deciding on treatment. Wanted to explain why I sent the pictures, since they were of an atypical situation, and the worst of my history, then hopefully submit my current and average pictures afterwards. Instead, after paying for my trial, Jennifer promptly misdiagnosed me, told me to close my account, and maybe see a Derm. If she would've asked, I could have told her I'd already been to supposedly the best Derm office in my state. She never asked me anything, just ASSumed. Still trying to get a refund. My recommendation after this fiasco - go to a local Dermatologist with a real diploma.

I got the trial version and with the basic formulation (AZELAIC ACID, CLINDAMYCIN, NIACINAMIDE) they give most people and I tried it for a month. I had decent acne on my forehead due to hormone imbalance from BC. They warned me that its gonna get worse before it gets better. At first it really did get worse. My skin texture got really weird with these tiny bumps literally everywhere on my face. I got really worried but decided to continue. Although the zits came down in size they were still very persistent and would become really pusy. I continued the treament that was supposed to help me also get rid of the dark spots left over from the acne. Well guess what, the amount of zits that the medication "brought out" to try to "clear up" the acne actually made more dark spots and did not help them. I decided to take a break after the month and came back to it a little later and all the acne inflamed again. I decided to stop using it and went on a search to get serum and moisturizer to get rid of my spotted forehead. Mind you I used my Teint Idole 24 hr Lancome foundation which is full coverage and even two layers of it would not over the dark spots completely. I bought Even Better Serum and the new Moisture Surge Gel to try to recover. 2 weeks later everything cleared up and dark spots are fading.

Throughout this time I was in a middle of a move and had a car accident. I tried contacting support only to get their voicemail box. I contacted my curology "doctor" and she explained that there are no return or refunds. While I still have two more bottles of that formula sitting in their boxes untouched. And I know for a fact I'm not the only one with that formula. In fact, most people get the same "unique" formula when they sign up.

The point of the story. It's probably not a good idea to deal with this product or company.

on 10/13/2015 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Edit: to Domicos trying to discredit my review re: being prescribed 3+ months: I am younger than you and in perfect health. State laws vary state to state. I am in texas - I checked and see youre in CA. Please show me a link. I still have the email from pocketderm if you'd like a screenshot. So either pocketderm lied or......?
-------------
I added an edit at the bottom to hopefully help more people.

I used Pocketderm (now rebranded as CUROLOGY ) for 6+ months. I believe I have enough insight on the matter to write a proper review. Many derms wanted to put me on Accutane since my acne/oil production was so severe. Everyone in my immediately family (mom, dad, brother) had been on it. I absolutely REFUSE to go that route. Not because it sucks for the duration of the time taking it, that would be well worth it to me. But it's the aftermath that's scared me off. I'm keeping my excessive sebum producing oil glands... because they're a built in moisturizer. It sucks that they cause acne but when I hit 40+ I'll be very pleased to have the extra oil.

I opted for the acne treatment as I have been battling acne/rosacea for many years. Being completely honest, I mainly signed up for the chance of being prescribed Spironolactone. I wanted to be prescribed it via Pocketderm because it would mean not having to do the many bloodtests that come along with Spironolactone.

But if that's why you're signing up for Pocketderm...DO NOT DO IT. WHAT THEY DO NOT PROPERLY DISCLOSE TO NEW CUSTOMERS IS THEY WILL NOT PRESCRIBE IT LONG TERM. After 3ish months they dropped me to the curb and told me they only prescribed it for me to "try it out". My Pocketderm dermatologist told me I will have to go find a local derm to prescribe it long term. Additionally they would not prescribe over 100mg..... which isnt much in terms of spiro. I know MANY women on spiro and there are studies (by derms) stating that 200mg is optimal. Apparently, after doing some digging, they do this to everyone to avoid lawsuits!!!!!! If I had known this info I would have never started it. Spirolactone messes with your hormones so starting/ending it is no easy matter.

Moving forward --- onto the Pocketderm aka Curology acne topical treatment they send you. The actives in mine were: My formula is 4% niacinamide, 1% clindamycin, 4% azelaic acid. I'm *sure* this works for a lot of people. But it did not work for me and after one look at the INACTIVE ingredient list, I knew EXACTLY why.

It's full of vitamin e and sweet almond oil! Those are enough to break my skin out like a volcano. I even confronted Pocketderm / Curology on the matter and you know what they told me? That it was "impossible", because those are non-comedogenic ingredients. I am pissed they insinuated I lied about it breaking me out when there is TONS of info out there on these ingredients causing acne. Even ALL of the derms I've been to will agree. They told me to steer clear of most oils............and they were right. There are very few oils that don't break me out. The vitamin e and sweet almond oil clogged every pore on my face. :( Just like they did in every other formulation ive ever tried over the years.

HERE is the inactives list: water, glycerin, aloe vera leaf juice, PEG-100 myristate, sweet almond seed oil, xanthan gum, methyl paraben, propyl paraben, tocopheryl acetate.

Pocketderm/Curology sucked for me. But I do like the idea of it and I do think it could help a lot of people. IF YOU DON'T BREAK OUT FROM SWEET ALMOND OIL OR VITAMIN E - GO FOR IT!

I'm editing this because I want to point out that I think tretinoin is the only ingredient in this that makes it worth bothering. It is RX only due to being an intense chemical exfoliator. Tretinoin generates collagen, exfoliates the skin, and can do more for anti-aging AND acne than the rest. The reason I'm adament about that is because its a lot deeper of an exfoliator than vitamin c (useless to *me*) or niacinamide (which is also an antioxidant like vitamin c - it's b3!). If they don't prescribe it to you - PUSH for it. Curology/pocketderm (whatever it is atm) DOES try to make patients happy. Azalaic acid is also worth asking for since its RX only and often prescribed for rosacea redness (main ingredient of finacea). Paired with tretinoin can cause it to lighten old scars even quicker. :)

LAST BUT NOT LEAST WEAR SUNSCREEN IF YOU WANT NICE SKIN. Chemical exfoliators cause skin to be more photosensitive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. UVA damage will undo all the benefits of tretinoin.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

i've been using curology for 3 months now & have been extremely pleased so far. i've had persistent acne of varying severity for years & after hitting a particularly bad bout of it & hearing about this service i finally decided it was time for rx-strength treatment again. my skin is very sensitive & while it has gotten more under control by using gentler & better-formulated otc products & an at-home blue light device, i still get breakouts regularly. curology has helped dramatically.

my rx is currently a combo of azelaic acid, clindamycin & zinc pyrithione. i noticed my skin starting to clear up a little within a couple days & have overall noticed fewer blemishes & quicker healing time for the ones i do get. some of my hyperpigmentation is also starting to slowly fade. my skin is still far from perfect but i have seen visible improvement across the photos i submit to my provider each month. i've also luckily had no side effects but as everyone's skin & rx is different ymmv.

as for the service itself, it's been great for me. my provider has been very friendly & helpful in answering all of my questions about my rx & has offered advice about the rest of my skincare routine. i've been able to easily reschedule shipments on the website, too. i think this is an invaluable service for ppl w/ problem skin who have no/inadequate insurance or just want something simple & convenient.

This cured my acne. The end.

No in all seriousness, this is literally the only product that worked in getting rid of my stubborn hormonal acne.

on 4/5/2018 7:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Medium

I decided to try Curology based on a You Tube blogger’s recommendation. However, I’m using it for anti-aging rather than acne. I’ve been using tretinoin 0.5% with good results and with my Curology prescriber decided upon tretinoin 0.75% along with vitamin C and niacinamide. Heaven in a bottle. My skin loves this stuff and with the support available on both Curology’s website, and working with my consultant, it’s a win-win. There is flexibility in choosing a 30 day or 60 day supply, and with a customized formula, the $20 per month is quite reasonable.

4/19/18 UPDATE: Working with the pharmacist, the tretinoin in my formula was increased to 0.14%, as I’ve been using tretinoin for quite some time. I have to say I love this product. My nighttime routine is simplified dramatically. Wash, spritz some Thayers and wipe, Curology, eye cream and argan oil. My skin is actually smoother, tighter and more even toned. No irritation. I’m hooked

Curology has been a god send for me.... mind you, I’ve never had horrible acne, or cystic acne, but I still always seemed to have at least two or three on my face at all times. I also was a sun worshiper in my twenties, so I had pigmentation on my forehead which made me looks years older... about 5 months ago, my skin went completely insane... all on my jaw line I kept breaking out, and it wouldn’t stop... all of my normal products no longer worked. I spent about $600 on that whole fiasco, buying a Clarisonic, getting retinol creams, differin etc. nothing worked.. I saw a curology add on a YouTube video and I decided to give it try... after all the first month was $5.... their distribution center is in San Diego, and I am also in California, so my bottle came within three days. After a week of using this, my skin completely cleared up.. my sun spots were starting to fade... I haven’t looked back since. The bottle doesn’t last as long as they say, however I use three pumps instead of the recommended two to be fair. I know it won’t work for everyone, but it’s worth a shot with the free month you get... also, everyone keeps saying you get the same prescription as everyone else in the beginning.. that is just not true. My bottle came with .018% tretinoin, 8% azelaic acid, and then 4% clindamyacin. I really love this product, and I did purge the first month, but my pimples were so tiny, they came and left within a day. Any pimple I get now, which is very rare, is also very small, and disappears within a day or so.... I also use this in combination with tarte knockout during the day, and take supplements along with it.. in case anyone is wondering, I take zinc, evening primrose oil, omega 3’s, turmeric and reishi, and lysine.. skin is damn near perfect for being 33

on 2/8/2018 9:38:00 AM

I have been using Curology for almost two years ago and have seen a huge improvement in my skin. After years trying everything -
salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, exfoliants, clay masks, cleansers running the spectrum from harsh to gentle, etc. - I finally found Curology. My skin is smoother, less oily, and much, much, less prone to breakouts on my forehead and chin, which were my main problem areas. I also had lots of hyperpigmentation that has faded significantly, and my skin's tone is much less red in general. It's true that it does take awhile for your skin to get better and, YES, your skin will "get worse" for a bit as it purges. I have seen people who have quit Curology after a week or a month saying it made their skin worse, but you absolutely have to be patient and let it work its magic. The bottle doesn't necessarily last as long as they say it does (but I do usually use more than they say you should, to be fair!), but to me it's still worth it :) My provider is always helpful whenever I frantically message her about a skin problem I'm having.

on 9/25/2017 11:41:00 AM

Curology has been an absolute savior for my skin. For the first time in my life someone this week complimented me on my skin and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was the girl who struggled with problem skin from the age of 14 all the way to 32. After a rough encounter with a local dermatologist who only wanted to sell me prescriptions he could get a kickback on (and ignoring me when I asked for the generic versions my insurance would cover...), I thought I'd give Curology a try. I'm glad I did because it's affordable and the advice I receive when I reach out to my derm is almost always exactly spot on and helpful. I've emailed to get her opinion on products like face washes for my skin type, and any changes in my skin and why they might be occurring and always get a fast and well thought out response.

I went from waking up with redness and 6-7 new spots each day to occasionally waking up with a single whitehead a couple times a week in about 6 months. Not perfect, but I'm ecstatic! And I'm slowly bumping up the tretinoin right now and noticing that my skin looks more radiant - a huge plus.